cats, and thats why they are more expensive. I had
never heard this before. Any thruth to this??:M5launch: :M5launch:

·
10,455 Posts
Stevus said:
I was told that the DInan headers come with different
cats, and thats why they are more expensive. I had
never heard this before. Any thruth to this??:M5launch: :M5launch:
No, that is not true. Dinan headers utilize the OE bmw cats. As part of the labor charge, dinan modifies the cats to bolt up to the headers. Similar to what discovery did with the supersprint connecting pipes and my oe cats.

Dinan's headers are so expensive simply because they are extremely labor intensive to build. (and also because nothing is cheap at dinan!).
Mike

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I doubt it. The SS's headers + cats is still cheaper than Dinan's headers

·
Registered
767 Posts
The Dinan headers incorporate a 4-2-1 design for maximum hp and torque accross the power range. In addition, they are a equal length tuned design. These attriburtes are desirable in a header design, and I do not see them anywhere else. Price asside, these headers should produce the best overall results.

B

·
0 Posts
Philip said:
The Dinan headers incorporate a 4-2-1 design for maximum hp and torque accross the power range. In addition, they are a equal length tuned design. These attriburtes are desirable in a header design, and I do not see them anywhere else. Price asside, these headers should produce the best overall results.
Agreed! Dinan headers are a work-of-art, and should be the header of choice if one has the budget available. Dinan's Tri-Y 4-2-1 design has been shown to produce the most usable performance gains for the M5. If someone prefers to spend less money, then there are many other good options, which one can learn more about by visiting www.beastpower.com.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
10,455 Posts
BeastPower said:
Agreed! Dinan headers are a work-of-art, and should be the header of choice if one has the budget available. Dinan's Tri-Y 4-2-1 design has been shown to produce the most usable performance gains for the M5.

Cheers, Daniel.
Guys, I honestly do not see any proof that dinan's design makes more power than any 4-1 header, like supersprint. I and another board member have both dyno'd our cars at the same shop, raced side by side, etc and we have almost identical results. There is a pretty limited amount of independant dyno info on dinan mods.
Mike

B

·
0 Posts
mottati said:
Guys, I honestly do not see any proof that dinan's design makes more power than any 4-1 header, like supersprint. I and another board member have both dyno'd our cars at the same shop, raced side by side, etc and we have almost identical results. There is a pretty limited amount of independant dyno info on dinan mods.
Mike
The Dinan headers provide more balanced gains throughout the entire rev-band, whereas the 4-1 designs provide most of the gains at higher RPMs. This is why street cars work better with 4-2-1 headers, whereas cars that are raced work better with 4-1 headers.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Black M5 said:
I doubt it. The SS's headers + cats is still cheaper than Dinan's headers
My birthday is coming up very soon! Did you know that?

·
10,455 Posts
BeastPower said:
The Dinan headers provide more balanced gains throughout the entire rev-band, whereas the 4-1 designs provide most of the gains at higher RPMs. This is why street cars work better with 4-2-1 headers, whereas cars that are raced work better with 4-1 headers.

Cheers, Daniel.
Daniel, i agree with you in theory, and I have yet to compare side by side dyno results (other than those in dinan's catolog). It would be an interesting race, say 0-100 to see if there is any difference on the street.

My experience is limited also, i'm comparing my car and a fellow board member's car. We have essentially the same mods, except i deviated at the headers and went the supersprint route. Our hp/torque numbers are virtually identical.
Mike

B

·
0 Posts
mottati said:
Daniel, i agree with you in theory, and I have yet to compare side by side dyno results (other than those in dinan's catolog). It would be an interesting race, say 0-100 to see if there is any difference on the street.

My experience is limited also, i'm comparing my car and a fellow board member's car. We have essentially the same mods, except i deviated at the headers and went the supersprint route. Our hp/torque numbers are virtually identical.
Mike
I understand your position, but I see so many similar testimonials from S2 owners (myself included) and from S2 drivers that there clearly seems to be something to it. Maybe the improvement felt can be attributed to the Dinan Throttle Bodies, Velocity Stacks and MAFS, which are either not available from other manufacturers or are designed very differently, such as the Velocity Stacks. Maybe it also relates to the tuning of the Dinan software and to significantly improved throttle response.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
10,455 Posts
BeastPower said:
I understand your position, but I see so many similar testimonials from S2 owners (myself included) and from S2 drivers that there clearly seems to be something to it. Maybe the improvement felt can be attributed to the Dinan Throttle Bodies, Velocity Stacks and MAFS, which are either not available from other manufacturers or are designed very differently, such as the Velocity Stacks. Maybe it also relates to the tuning of the Dinan software and to significantly improved throttle response.

Cheers, Daniel.

I don't mean to imply that there's not something to the S2 pkg. I went with supersprint headers for cost reasons, as many have said, if all else were equal ($$) i'd have likely gone with dinan long ago. Other tuners just don't feel mafs or tb's are needed in a naturally aspirated application. I have no reason not to believe dinan's 39hp claim, and maybe if they have another 'sale' next year, i'll find out!

That said, post headers, my car pulls extrememly hard when I hit 4k rpm, so i have no regrets...
Mike

B

·
0 Posts
mottati said:
I don't mean to imply that there's not something to the S2 pkg. I went with supersprint headers for cost reasons, as many have said, if all else were equal ($$) i'd have likely gone with dinan long ago. Other tuners just don't feel mafs or tb's are needed in a naturally aspirated application. I have no reason not to believe dinan's 39hp claim, and maybe if they have another 'sale' next year, i'll find out!

That said, post headers, my car pulls extrememly hard when I hit 4k rpm, so i have no regrets...
Mike
I am glad that you are happy with yout setup, as it is certainly an enviable one, however, I personally believe that Dinan makes excellent products, and that their software, MAFS, Throttle Bodies and Velocity Stacks made a difference.

People like to complain about Dinan, but I feel that 99.9% of the reason for this, is that they simply don't accept the high prices of their products. However, this has no relation whatsoever to the performance of their products. Most discussions about Dinan products seem to terminate with talk about their prices, and unfortunately never get much further.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I posted pictures of three header versions two sets are avilable thru Beastpower.com.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49516

The hot ticket in my eyes is the SuperSprint headers, Yes the 4-1 is a ole racecar looking header. I still think there is more room for improvements in them for more torque and power.

Mike, thanks again. The weather has held up delivery plus out of town travel.
I'm enjoying sunny weather right now:byebye:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts