BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a tint ticket a month ago here in michigan. when i went to court the judge told me i needed a doctors note saying my eyes were bothered without the tint. i really hate to wear sunglasses, and really dont want to take the tint off. also, i believe its unconstitutional to say you cant have your windows tinted. almost all govnt. cars are tinted. when the cop pulled me over both my windows were down, he asked me to roll them up. then wrote me up. if i just pay the ticket, i get two points on my liscense. its pretty lame. i would love to beat this. anybody want to help???????? by the way, he pulled me over for loud exhaust........
>>>hands on the wheel....(gun out)<<<<<
>>>Son, you got glass packs in there???<<<<<<<
>>>are you serious?<<<<<<<
>>>roll up your windows please<<<<<<<
>>>those arent legal<<<<<

josh.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Josh.. contact SchnelleM5.. he is an ophthalmoligist.. a really fancy eye doctor.. maybe he can help.. but he is in Minnesota I think.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
M5 Ophthalmic Surgeon

Hi, Josh:

From an ophthalmologist's standpoint, I would encourage you to always wear 100% UVA/UVB blocking sunglasses, wrap-arounds at that, whenever you are outside or when driving, even on overcast days. The deleterious effects of long term UV exposure on the eye are well known. It is true that certain medical conditions or a history of eye surgeries/trauma can lead to chronic photophobia, but unless this can be documented you are unlikely to convince a judge that a full window tint is medically necessary.

By the way I would be more than happy to take a look at your eyes if you are ever over this way.

:cheers:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Unconstitutional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hiha hiha hiha

I think its unconstitutional to restrict the speed limit to 55mph..........its that freedom of expression thing.......right?

hiha hiha hiha

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
schnellem5.......

so your saying an eye doctor cant just write up a slip and say......josh needs the window tint to protect his weak and irritable eyes.......? i think thats all the magistrate is looking for.

josh.

·
10,455 Posts
Josh,

Yes, you could get a note on an Rx pad, or a more formal letter on letterhead stating that you are photophobic and require tinted windows, dark tinted sunglasses etc. I've done it a couple times over the past 5 or 6 years, but i honestly don't know how much it's worth. It may get you out of the initial ticket, but I think schnellM5 was refering to getting you off in court, where they may want something a little more detailed.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i see. it is just a ticket. its not a "real" court thing. its just one of the things the cop wrote me up for. im going in tomarrow for a eye test. i figure id just tell the doc im sensitive to the sun and need to keep the tint on the car. maybe hell just write me up a note. hopefully. i really dont think its that serious. especially when i told the judge ill just pay the fine. then he said it adds points to my liscence. and gave me the chance to get the note. the note was his idea. so, good luck to me. eye doctors out there.....you could and are welcome to mail me a note if you would like. :hihi:

hopefully i can get the note.....then everytime i get pulled over for tint i can be like........:blabla: its legal!!!!!!!

josh.

·
10,455 Posts
It might look a little fishy coming from california! I'd play up the light sensitivity deal during the exam! (or find one with car magazines in the waiting room, like mine! then just level with him!)...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think the restriction on tinting is as much for the policeman's benefit as to make sure you have the best possible view out of your windows.

Look at it from the cop's point of view: You pull over a car and the windows are tinted so dark that you can't see inside the car from any window. What are you going to do to protect yourself? You are going to treat the driver like (s)he was already drawing down on you. and then people get upset that they are treated like criminals. Well, he can't feel safe unless he can see what's going on inside your car.

2nd, Look at it from the perspective of Tinting obstructs your view. Maybe not much, but you are blocking some light. You are making it slightly less safe for everyone by reducing your visibility in certain situations. Yes, maybe just a tiny bit, but maybe a whole lot, like at night.

Whatever, I'm not trying to take away your right to tint, just playing devil's advocate.

And BTW, love the word "photophobia". Eeeeeek!!! A lightbulb!!! Run awaaaaaaaaay!!!!! :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
louv said:
I think the restriction on tinting is as much for the policeman's benefit as to make sure you have the best possible view out of your windows.

Look at it from the cop's point of view: You pull over a car and the windows are tinted so dark that you can't see inside the car from any window. What are you going to do to protect yourself? You are going to treat the driver like (s)he was already drawing down on you. and then people get upset that they are treated like criminals. Well, he can't feel safe unless he can see what's going on inside your car.

2nd, Look at it from the perspective of Tinting obstructs your view. Maybe not much, but you are blocking some light. You are making it slightly less safe for everyone by reducing your visibility in certain situations. Yes, maybe just a tiny bit, but maybe a whole lot, like at night.

Whatever, I'm not trying to take away your right to tint, just playing devil's advocate.

And BTW, love the word "photophobia". Eeeeeek!!! A lightbulb!!! Run awaaaaaaaaay!!!!! :D

That would explain why so many police cars have tinted windows all around, including the windshield. :rolleyes:

Besides, as phillym5 stated, his windows were rolled down.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Okay..

Then if your windows are tinted and you don't roll them down while being approached by a office then you get a ticket.

It's just another thing for the goverment to make $$.

//MWEELS

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just thought id post a follw up...
i got a note from the eye doc. it was a bit difficult because the first 20 i called wouldnt have any part of it. so i finally just made an appointment for an eye exam. while the doc was giving me the exam, i told him about my ticket. he told me my eyes were perfect and he just couldnt fathem writing a note for sensitive to light eyes. he said there has to be a abnormality going on. all of a sudden i remember this mole i have behind my left ear. i said.....ok, i got this mole hear that is so annoying when i wear sunglasses.....doc says....let me see that.....then the doc says....that would be annoying for sure. so... he wrote me a note, it says..."please allow josh to have tinted windows because he has a ear abnormality which makes wearing sunglasses difficult." i saw the judge today. he said....this is what the court asked for, and dissmissed the charge. he also told me to get the note updated once a year. i am now allowed to legally have tinted windows!!!!!:thumbsup: i just have to keep the note in my car. also im going to make copies incase a cop tries to rip it up....just incase.

josh.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts