BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

hi,
see email below, it is self-explanatory, are there any DIYers or guys with access to (i hope just) basic machining tools needed to make up some subframe bushes from polyurethane rods. i figure a group of us could chip in for a new set of oem subframe bushes and send to a machining guy with the polyurethane rod and see if a few sets could be made up? obviously there maybe some teething issues so easier to work with someone local first.
sy

Hi Sayanthan

Thank you for your interest...I'm afraid it's not viable to custom make at the moment although there does seem to be a ready market for the bushes.

Our R&D program is huge & the factory is already overwhelmed, we can however offer the raw material - which will of course be a high quality polyurethane - available in 70, 80, 90 & 95 shore A.

Here is a link to the polyurethane solid rod on our website (you'll have to copy & paste to browser as inserting hyperlink is not working) :

http://www.superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=392

and these should give you some good information:

http://www.superflex.co.uk/datasheets/Round%20bar%20machining%20techniques.pdf
http://www.superflex.co.uk/hardnessguide.php

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Christine

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you got the rod and sizes i could get these made quite easily.

Will you be wanting them with a steel sleeve through as per the powerflex thrust arm bushes etc??
if someone's got a pick of an oem subframe bush and dimensions i guess it should resemble that construction.

i've also had an email from powerflex below and it's on their development list, so need to find out if they need a development car or if a group buy may facilitate getting these made. but i think the superflex option above is the cheapest and probably equivalent quality if not better. i'll see if can buy a set and return it as "not used" ?feasible? - i could post them up to you then? how much would it cost to make some up?
(email from powerflex below)

Hi Sayanthan,

Many thanks for your email

We actually have these on our development list at the moment

Unfortunately due to other projects and commitments it is impossible to give a completion date at this time

Hopefully we will have something available in the not so distant future so please keep checking our website for updates

Kind Regards

James Bourn ~ Sales Manager

EPTG Ltd
POWERFLEX
7 Union Buildings
Wallingford Road
Uxbridge
UB8 2FR
ENGLAND

Tel: (+44) 01895 460033
Fax: (+44) 01895 520095
[email protected]
Powerflex

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Sayanthan,
Funny you should bring this up today, i emailed Powerflex too and got an identical reply, great minds think alike :grinyes:

They also said they would consider the differential mounting bushes too...

Perhaps if we can show them there is enough demand they may bring the R+D of these items up their list?

Ben

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sayanthan,
Funny you should bring this up today, i emailed Powerflex too and got an identical reply, great minds think alike :grinyes:

They also said they would consider the differential mounting bushes too...

Perhaps if we can show them there is enough demand they may bring the R+D of these items up their list?

Ben
the differential mounting bushes-not the same as the rogue engineering transmission mounts?
well we can wait for powerflex (i have emailed them with the group buy/development car idea)
or there's a chap in liverpool who may be able to do something alot sooner!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hi Santhayan.

As far as i'm aware there are basically 2 construction types regarding a poly bush.

One is a straight bush made 100% from poly with the mounting/bolt hole through the middle used in applications such as ARB bushes.

The other is similar but will have a steel "bush" through the centre for added mounting rigidity used in places like rear trailing arm bushes or the control arm bushes on the e39 M5 for example.

I would imagine that the application of subframe bushes would mean that you would want the second type.

I thinnk Raikku has replaced his subframe bushes, so perhaps a pm or conversation with him would glean the sizes of them???

The only other thing i think i would need is the poly itself.

I could get some poly but there are so many grades and i think the stuff i would be getting first hand would be really too harsh and more like a solid plastic which is what we use for more industrious applications.

I would think that even perhaps if you could get a sample, perhaps i could source some myself. Obviously this would add a little time to the process so it kind of depends on what you guys would perhaps want to pay.

Jamie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts