Is there a E60 M5 Diff rebuild DIY?? or pictures of how to tear one apart

that is all

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Uncharted territory my man.

Post pics...lots. :grinyes:

There was an E39 rebuild I think.

Topaz540i's M5 diff conversion build thread PART 2 the saga continues....

I rebuilt the diff on my wife's Jeep Wrangler 10 or so years ago. It locked up on her at 65 MPH on H3 North heading into Mililani and she almost rolled it. One of the positrac disks cracked, fractured, then got caught up in the ring gear and sliced a hole in the back cover and drained all the fluid.

I had no idea what I was doing, but pieced together enough info from various places. If you pull TIS for the E36, I think the full rebuild is in there with all specs. The E60 diff is not that advanced over previous LSDs (compared to the crazy F10 thing).

Setting pinion depth is a little trial and error, but the mesh pattern you are looking for is similar, regardless of brand or make of car. You can just switch shims and lightly tighten the pinion nut (not crushing it) to take out the play and check the mesh. Then select the shims that give the best picture.

Setting the pinion crush is not hard, it's just the sort of thing you'll question yourself over constantly. You'll need an inch-lbs torque wrench which will probably have a 1/4" drive, to a 1/4-3/8 adapter, to a 3/8=1/2 adapter, to a 1/2 drive socket large enough for the pinion nut. Silly looking, but works to measure the preload.

VAC has a diff rebuild kit for the E46 M3, I'm sure if you call them, they can source what you need for the M5 and might even offer some tips.

Good luck and again...lots of pics!

Edit: Found this while reading the above thread. Might be willing to sell you parts you need.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Link and the advice on this.

Im still unsure if I feel like tackling this and risking the 600 in parts to fix it or not. I think I can do it with the help of the internet, setting up gears is one of the only things that I have not done yet in the auto world

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Thanks for the Link and the advice on this.

Im still unsure if I feel like tackling this and risking the 600 in parts to fix it or not. I think I can do it with the help of the internet, setting up gears is one of the only things that I have not done yet in the auto world

Go for it! Take it for the team! :7:

I know the feeling. I have so many things I want to take apart and look at/fix, but not enough time and money to do it.

If someone wants to donate a full SMG hydraulic block, I'll dissect it. :S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts