BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a vibration from my car and when I got around to inspecting it I found that 2 studs had snapped and the other 3 were loose. Not sure how it came to be in this state, but now I need the knowlegge on how to deal with the snapped off portions of those studs in my hub. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I noticed a vibration from my car and when I got around to inspecting it I found that 2 studs had snapped and the other 3 were loose. Not sure how it came to be in this state, but now I need the knowlegge on how to deal with the snapped off portions of those studs in my hub. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Improper torquing...happened to me before, but mine was worse. 4 had snapped off! Luckily I noticed before it was too late and something REALLY bad happened.

You can try removing the entire hub to see if you can get access from the back. That's what my shop did and it came out from the other end....good luck, man. Make sure you are tqing properly!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would try to turn it with something sharp like a pick so it will hook on the uneven surface of the broken stud. You might be lucky that it will just unscrew.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I bought an easy out kit and sprayed the crap of of the broken studs with liquid wrench tonight. Hopefully it'll loosen them up enough to get em out tomorrow. I bought my PS2s from the dealership so they were the last ones to fool with the wheels. I torque them to 88 lbs when I have them off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Consider it a maintenance item. Not to alarm but I periodically replace my wheel bolts on all my cars. I would consider doing this more often if you constantly swap wheels and tire sets. If they broke like that be sure to inspect the threads in the hub. It may be a good idea to use a tool to chase and clean the threads but not remove material.

Reactions: Gavin S.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
...I bought an easy out kit and sprayed the crap of of the broken studs with liquid wrench tonight...
Not to over think (or over engineer) the job, but you might want to create a "jig" to guide your drill bit. A stack of washers (OD of the bolt, ID of the drill bit) would work, whatever you have handy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts