BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 M5.

I read somewhere that there is a 2nd OBD port under the hood. Can anyone tell me where it is located?

Also is there a difference between what I can read from this port as opposed to the one under the dash?

Thanks,
Praba

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Under the hood one is on the passenger side, by the window fluid. about a 2" round cap...
With my Peake reader there is no difference between that and the in car one... not sure if the GT1 at the dealer is different...
Matt

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
2000 have the round port in the engine bay, and the square port inside.

if you are using gt1 then you will need the round plug for the engine. from what ive found the gt1 does not like the interior port and works better with the round port in the engine bay.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is the round connector only on the 2000 M5s? I have a 02 and cant seem to find the round connector under the hood...

My OBD connector inside the car is not working. It connects for a split second then disconnects. Should i clean it somehow?

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
Is the round connector only on the 2000 M5s? I have a 02 and cant seem to find the round connector under the hood...

My OBD connector inside the car is not working. It connects for a split second then disconnects. Should i clean it somehow?
From MY '01 forward, no underhood connector.

I guess you can try cleaning the contacts, but I don't remember any one here reporting that kind of problem. Perhaps it is in what you are connecting and not the connector in the car?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
505 Posts
On the MY2000 cars you can read only DME/engine diagnostics from the internal OBDII port. All other modules have to be read via the circular port under the hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts