BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Section 3 the mufflers is different. I also know that section 1 is the same, but my question is section 2 the same?

Or easy enough to modify like cutting it shorter or making it part longer?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To answer my own thread and searching further looks like it's the same but not really lol

M5 is about 3" longer where the secondary cats meet the factory crossover pipe versus the M6.

People have used M6 exhaust by making it longer and relocating the muffler hangers to their M5s.

I actually want to do the opposite and trying to use M5 x-pipe (like SS or BillyBoat) and fit it on my M6 to delete the resonators.

Should work if I just need to cut off the lenghts.....I hope.

For some reason M6 x-pipes are not readily available compared to M5 and M6 is more expensive as well. But if it's shorter it's less material?!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
To answer my own thread and searching further looks like it's the same but not really lol

M5 is about 3" longer where the secondary cats meet the factory crossover pipe versus the M6.

People have used M6 exhaust by making it longer and relocating the muffler hangers to their M5s.

I actually want to do the opposite and trying to use M5 x-pipe (like SS or BillyBoat) and fit it on my M6 to delete the resonators.

Should work if I just need to cut off the lenghts.....I hope.

For some reason M6 x-pipes are not readily available compared to M5 and M6 is more expensive as well. But if it's shorter it's less material?!!
Let us know if it works. I’m trying to do M6 exhaust on an M5 so hopefully it won’t be too much work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, just ordered Billy Boat X-pipe for the M5.

I will post here my results when I'm done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my Billy Boat X-pipe for the M5 came in.

It's only 2" longer in the front compared to the M6.

Otherwise it's exactly the same.

Now because my section 2 has been cut twice, once immediately right after the secondary cats and after the resonators for DINAN mufflers your application might be different.

I'm going to extend the front another 2" so I can slip join over the 3" pipe and shorten the back 2" so I can slip join over the DINAN mufflers. Sounds confusing but once I'm done I will post more pics.

Another issue is the where I cut right after the secondary cats, it's perfectly 90 angle/straight where as the BB x-pipe is slightly angled/slanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks for all the info and pics. I figured it’d just be a matter of adding around 2-3 inches of piping on the x pipe and possibly moving around the section 3 hangers. Looking forward to your update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts