BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an M3 and i had a tire blow on the highway. the michellin pilot sport 2 were only 7 months old and they were completely bald. could it be because i had a KW variant 2 coilover?

i never abused these tires as i had done with my pilot sport 1 tires and they lasted over a year.

i was considering getting the PS2 for the new car and now i am not sure as i think they have a softer compound or because of the coilover they wore out so quickly...pls advise

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
huh? the shock stiffness really has nothing to do with how fast your tires wear out (uniformly). however, i assume that with the coilovers your camber is also changed to more negative and this might speed up the wear of your inner edges of the tires...

uniform wear is a function of thread compound and driving style- shocks play no role there. the only time shocks contribute to tire wear is when they are gone and the tire wears out in a wavy pattern (since it bounces up and down out of control while you drive). i assume this is not your case

camber wears insides, aggressive driving- outsides ;)

if your tires are just bald, it is because they are soft and/or you slide a lot ;)

alex
few cars

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found out that my insides were gone because of the camber. but i am still considering whether they are really worth the $380 dollars per tire. cause when i order the M5 i dont want to have tires wear out so easily. so is the PS1 better or the PS2

my problem is because of the camber but does anyone else have problems with the PS2

·
Registered
448 Posts
In my experience the PS2's are a lot better than the PS1's, handling wise. Tirewear is about the same. Did around 20.000 km's with my last set of PS2's, hard driving, some drifting and about 1000 km's on track. So no complaints from me.

Regards,

Gerrit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts