BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some comparisons on Yahoo and the 1/4 times on the M5 and the Lamborghini Diablo VT are VERY close. The M5 had a 13.2 and the VT had a 13.0. Is this really the case or did the magazine editors NOT know how to drive the VT??? Just wondering how a car that has 130 less HP get such a close time to the VT Diablo.

Later
gtpkid
97 white GTP
*stock for now
-now wanting to sell to get M5!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
The VT is extremely hard to drive well. First off, it might have a power advantage, but it's AWD system might not be the best for straight line acceleration. In order to launch it right you have to get just enough wheel spin (launch at 5500+ RPM) to preserve the clutch from getting overwhelmed by the massive torque being laid on the pavement. A recent magazine article sited the 1/4 mile time of a Lambo representative over that of their own journalist, because the journalist gave up after two attempts that resulted in low 13 second runs and a cloud of that bluish foul smelling clutch smoke. The Lambo rep ran a 12.8 if I remember correctly. The journalist was from MotorTrend, but Car&Driver set the story straight on who made that fast run since they had their own journalist at the Lambo press event.

BTW, good luck on your GTP...I recently dusted a white one at the Texas MotorPlex with exhaust and some other minor work. The poor guy was thinking mid-high 14's then proceeded to run a 15.2 to my Stillen Maxima's 14.7 (I had racing tires, but he had a supercharged 6!) What's really interesting is how .5 seconds makes such a HUGE gap at the end of the 1/4.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts