BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the new M5 a problem car? Despite all the awards and accolades has BMW built the ultimate mistake? Nearly every article I read the writer complains about some kind of failure, comments like “this car would have been awarded 5 stars had it not died on us” are all too common. As more members take delivery of their cars the cracks are opening wider. As it is the M5 was long overdue and surly sufficient testing took place. The internet is a dangerous place and sometimes a little knowledge is worse then none but I for one am getting a bad feeling about the new M5 and M6. Did BMW launch the car to the press to get good performance figures and now for regular production it seams they are taming the “beast” with strange software upgrades. I am one of BMW’s biggest fans and have driven M cars for many years. My question is, is this normal for a new model and should I be concerned about my M6 coming soon?:sad1:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i think you should wait for one year or more and then buy it.... you are right there is a problem ... do not know what is coming:byebye:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have my M5 for almost a month now.No problems yet.Is there anything that i should be concerned about that i may not have read about?

·
Registered
316 Posts
888 as you alluded to, internet chat forums are dangerous! For every one person that reports a problem, there are tons more people who have no problems--therefore, nothing to report. I mean most people won't start a thread with...."My M5 is trouble free for 12 months".

Every high performance car I have owned, I have been fairly active in the internet forum specified for that car. It's a great place to learn more about the car from others, and also learn of potential problems. And it's a great place to meet people who share similar interests as yourself. However, I always take posted 'problems' with a grain of salt----it doesn't mean every M5 is a 'Problem Car'.

Ryan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe, mine has just gone to the dealer on a lorry unable to select any gears.

Will keep you posted.

wdc

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
yes. the car will have mostly electrical problems- no different than the e39 m5 (or any other newer bmw for that matter)... and we (here) will hear about most of those problems. but statistically, as somebody else said- there would be a large pool of fairly trouble-free cars out there...

alex
few cars

·
Registered
829 Posts
888 said:
Is the new M5 a problem car? Despite all the awards and accolades has BMW built the ultimate mistake? Nearly every article I read the writer complains about some kind of failure, comments like “this car would have been awarded 5 stars had it not died on us” are all too common. As more members take delivery of their cars the cracks are opening wider. As it is the M5 was long overdue and surly sufficient testing took place. The internet is a dangerous place and sometimes a little knowledge is worse then none but I for one am getting a bad feeling about the new M5 and M6. Did BMW launch the car to the press to get good performance figures and now for regular production it seams they are taming the “beast” with strange software upgrades. I am one of BMW’s biggest fans and have driven M cars for many years. My question is, is this normal for a new model and should I be concerned about my M6 coming soon?:sad1:
This is common with new cars. It's always a good idea to wait out the first or second itteration of a new car untill they fix the problems. Unfortunatly this car is so delicate during break-in and has several software problems so it tends to break more often. It's the price you pay for being first.

A friend of mine always buys the previous generation when the next generation comes out. He does this because you can buy the car for dump prices and they've fixed the problems so you get a good solid car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
rjhoskins said:
888 as you alluded to, internet chat forums are dangerous! For every one person that reports a problem, there are tons more people who have no problems--therefore, nothing to report. I mean most people won't start a thread with...."My M5 is trouble free for 12 months".

Every high performance car I have owned, I have been fairly active in the internet forum specified for that car. It's a great place to learn more about the car from others, and also learn of potential problems. And it's a great place to meet people who share similar interests as yourself. However, I always take posted 'problems' with a grain of salt----it doesn't mean every M5 is a 'Problem Car'.

Ryan
Couldn't have said it better myself! :cheers:

·
Registered
829 Posts
test said:
More electronics more problems.... Just look at 7 series!
This has been true for BMW through out their whole range. They have a proven track record that they're not good with electronics. MB has a much better track record, they also tend to test more and outsource less to build everything inhouse.

This is also one of the reasons why I opted for a delivery of my M6 late next year, just wanna see what problems popup and how BMW handles them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
frylord said:
This has been true for BMW through out their whole range. They have a proven track record that they're not good with electronics. MB has a much better track record, they also tend to test more and outsource less to build everything inhouse.
I do not know about MB's track record in the U.S. but here in Germany the picture's quite the opposite. Even in the latest surveys (I think in one of the current auto motor und sport issues) BMW's 6, 3, 5 and 7 series all rank in the top twenty concerning customer satisfaction in regard of quality and reliability. The S-Class ranked on place 24 which was the best result for a MB model, while all other models were somewhere near the tail and the E-Class... well everyone knows that story, worst model ever produced by MB concerning electronics.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
No problems to report so far, just a big stupid grin on my face :biggrin:

I'm getting the software update next week and will report if there are significant differences.

·
Registered
829 Posts
guffit said:
I do not know about MB's track record in the U.S. but here in Germany the picture's quite the opposite. Even in the latest surveys (I think in one of the current auto motor und sport issues) BMW's 6, 3, 5 and 7 series all rank in the top twenty concerning customer satisfaction in regard of quality and reliability. The S-Class ranked on place 24 which was the best result for a MB model, while all other models were somewhere near the tail and the E-Class... well everyone knows that story, worst model ever produced by MB concerning electronics.
I don't know where you're getting that from, I myself own a E500 and the electronics in the E-Class (except for the break-by-wire) are exactly the same as in the W220 S-Class. It has a proven track record in the W220 and now it's in the W211.

It's true that the interiour of the car is abit disapointing when you look at what you are buying but the engine and the car itself is solid.

In these days any manufacturer can manufacture a car the way they want to. It's just the little things that set them apart and it's also those little things that sets the E-Class apart from the rest and makes driving a whole lot pleasent and enjoyable. It's hard to explain but it's just those little things that make the E-Class a great everyday cruiser.

Now ///M vs. AMG is a different story but E-Class vs. 5 series, I'd take the E-Class any day.

Let me tell you how far the MB service goes. When the E-Class first entered production the DVD nav/player wasn't ready. MB offered early buyers a voucher to retro fit their CD nav/player with a DVD one later when it was ready.

Later on they discovered that the wiring harnas in the models already produced wasn't fit for the DVD system. So they offered owners the option either cash back of 2500 euro or to exchange their cars for a brand spanking new one with DVD. Now thats what I call service.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did you get your software upgrade as expected and what differences did it make.

I got a new clutch at 1200 miles and the local dealer said they were not told to do a software upgrade. Although I have to go steady for another 1200 miles the car is running great again.

Just wondering why some dealers are doing upgrade when asked and some don't or won't.

Regards,

wdc

Ashok Arora said:
No problems to report so far, just a big stupid grin on my face :biggrin:

I'm getting the software update next week and will report if there are significant differences.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts