BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a shop that the M5 exhaust is not bolt-on and would require welding if I wanted to put an aftermarket exhaust on. is that true?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The stock exhaust must be cut. But if you want to put the car back to stock later just use the aftermarket clamps and you are set ( or weld it )

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I was told by a shop that the M5 exhaust is not bolt-on and would require welding if I wanted to put an aftermarket exhaust on. is that true?
It depends. The OEM exhaust is mounting in one-piece from prime-cat back. So, if you replace 2nd cat(section1), resonator(section2), and muffler(section3), then yes, it's bolt-on. Anything after that required a cutting,i.e., if you want to replace just muffler, then cutting is required.

Hope that help,

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
in other words if you want to just bolt it on you need the "H" or "X" pipe also which would replace 2nd cat(section1), resonator(section2), and muffler(section3) ....

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I am putting on the Eisennman x-pipe with the Tubi exhaust would cutting and welding be required?

Thanks,

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my car is leased. if I put a dinan on, will it be an issue when my lease is up?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
No, shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
If I am putting on the Eisennman x-pipe with the Tubi exhaust would cutting and welding be required?

Thanks,
The OEM exhaust system, 2ndary cats/center resonator/mufflers, is a one piece unit bolted on from the exhaust manifold.

You cut at the section in between the 2ndary cats and center resonator.

Some have also cut at the section in between the center resonator and mufflers to ease removal, but that is optional.

Most aftermarket x-pipes and mufflers come with clamps so you can just bolt it on. No welding required.

This was what I did when I installed a SuperSprint x-pipe and race mufflers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts