BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scary, but this is the first time I have ever logged in and half the first page are "yesterday" posts.....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Maybe people are starting to use the search function more.

You wanna talk about oil? :applause:

Reactions: JCM55555

·
Registered
691 Posts
Don't think it's slowing down, across the day this section has the most views...posts are another matter, maybe people are spooked by all the rod bearing horror stories as of late...:hihihi:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think many newer people (myself included) are afraid of being slammed with "use the search function." If you get right down to it, over 10 years almost eveything has probably been covered many times. BUT IF YOU ARE LIKE ME, and use your bluetooth to browse this site at times, especially when you are away from home or just sitting in the parking lot waiting for your wife or girlfriend while she shops or gets her hair done, instead of using your desktop or laptop computer, it takes FOREVER to use the search function and scroll through all the results on those tiny screens, not to mention my big fingers hate those little keys.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I think many newer people (myself included) are afraid of being slammed with "use the search function." If you get right down to it, over 10 years almost eveything has probably been covered many times
Jim,

I've been around here a long time, and I guess for a lot of topics, I don't find the need to be a "forum curmudgeon" -- just browse over threads w/o comment. However, in a larger context, even though many things have been covered ad infinitum, the flip side of that coin is that many newer members in the past few years have made HUGE contributions to knowledge base here. Revisiting old topics at times brings a fresh perspective, different minds pondering the topic, updated experiences, etc, such that a whole new and revised "knowledge base" on that topic is created.

On the flip-flip-side however, if a simple advanced search narrowing results to the E39 forum will answer a basic question, that makes the most sense. Using google with proper search term quoting, etc, might also pop up an answer to many basic questions. I admit to using lmgtfy.com site to make that point in a funny way to family that depends on me to answer PC/tech related questions. :)

That said, post away on stuff you think makes sense. Screw those that don't want to answer your question but instead take their time to post only to launch a search attack. :D

Chuck

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I tend to read more then post but do post when appropriate. I do try to use the search function but not always do I find what I am looking for. unless you search for the right words sometimes you could search for ever and not find the right thread. this goes for any forum, the search function sucks unless you know the right words to search for.

·
Registered
150 Posts
BUT IF YOU ARE LIKE ME, and use your bluetooth to browse this site at times, especially when you are away from home or just sitting in the parking lot waiting for your wife or girlfriend while she shops or gets her hair done, instead of using your desktop or laptop computer, it takes FOREVER to use the search function and scroll through all the results on those tiny screens, not to mention my big fingers hate those little keys.
Slowing down? This is one of the most active car forums on the Internet IMHO. I too use my iphone at work to browse this site because the senior partners log every site you go to on your office computer. It's like big brother is watching! I have to agree that on an iphone using the search function takes forever with the tiny screen, but I browse through and read most of the new stuff every day on my iphone. This site is my escape from the office, not quite a Carribean vacation, but it gets my mind in a better place - my M5. At home I use my desktop computer.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Scary, but this is the first time I have ever logged in and half the first page are "yesterday" posts.....
Coming from a long history of car forum memberships, I've always thought of M5board to be on the "slower" side when it comes to thread movement and post counts, not that it's a bad thing. There are some car forums, even BMW specific, where the page has posts from last week, and sometimes last month. I think we're moving at a good pace. ;)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
This board is an absolute wealth of information and so I do think that many people search for, and hopefully find, the answer to their questions rather than posting a new topic. I suppose it is inevitable that as time goes on and the M5-pedia grows, fewer new topics will be posted. Having said that, it is amazing how many things we find to talk about on a ten year old Bee-em and there are lots of members who have been active for years without getting bored...

NEW MEMBERS: I (and many others) never go into 'search attack' mode; can't see the point unless it is a stupidly obvious question, and then the 'Let Google Find That For You' thing is actually quite funny. The fastest and most helpful thing to do is perform a search for them and link to a suitable thread. It isn't hard but better reflects the atmosphere of the board, so if you can't find the answer to your question then ask!

Also, members of this board are encouraged to contribute well written and thought out posts rather than the mindless error plagued drivel and hateful text speak that litter some other boards. Make no mistake, this is a good thing but it takes longer to think about and compose than "lolz, ur beast is gr8 m8," so you get fewer posts overall, but of far superior quality.

Reactions: CSBM5 and M55555

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
...and then the 'Let Google Find That For You' thing is actually quite funny.
You know, I'm convinced that many, many people don't really know how to use search sites like google to their best advantage.

Anyway, here's a LMGTFY example for a common theme rehashed many times over the years. :) :) Just look at the information on this site on that one subject that google has indexed. Pretty amazing to this old fart who first started using a computer in 7th grade in 1970 (DEC PDP-8).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Maybe people are starting to use the search function more.

You wanna talk about oil? :applause:
I agree with this observation. In the past week that I have started using the forum, just about every conceivable question I have is already answered somewhere on the board. The FAQ is invaluable and other small things like "what type of cover to buy" or "powder coating the valve/coil covers" are all in here already.

I have to say that as a longtime member of the Jag forum, this one is even better. My new (to me) M5 will be shipping from Cali within a week and in that time there a few DIY projects that need preparation. I could literally spend 5 hours a day reading here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This board is an absolute wealth of information and so I do think that many people search for, and hopefully find, the answer to their questions rather than posting a new topic. I suppose it is inevitable that as time goes on and the M5-pedia grows, fewer new topics will be posted. Having said that, it is amazing how many things we find to talk about on a ten year old Bee-em and there are lots of members who have been active for years without getting bored...

NEW MEMBERS: I (and many others) never go into 'search attack' mode; can't see the point unless it is a stupidly obvious question, and then the 'Let Google Find That For You' thing is actually quite funny. The fastest and most helpful thing to do is perform a search for them and link to a suitable thread. It isn't hard but better reflects the atmosphere of the board, so if you can't find the answer to your question then ask!

Also, members of this board are encouraged to contribute well written and thought out posts rather than the mindless error plagued drivel and hateful text speak that litter some other boards. Make no mistake, this is a good thing but it takes longer to think about and compose than "lolz, ur beast is gr8 m8," so you get fewer posts overall, but of far superior quality.

Well said!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This has to be the most active forum I belong to! Maybe second only to my weightlifting forum. However, this forum is about 10x as active as the e34m5 section from which I've recently migrated. I will say the signal to noise ration here is a little worse than the e34 section though. Still far better than other BMW forums though.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You know, I'm convinced that many, many people don't really know how to use search sites like google to their best advantage.

Anyway, here's a LMGTFY example for a common theme rehashed many times over the years. :) :) Just look at the information on this site on that one subject that google has indexed. Pretty amazing to this old fart who first started using a computer in 7th grade in 1970 (DEC PDP-8).
Thanks for showing people this. I have been using google exclusively to search the board for a long time now. It works so much better than the built-in search function. "site:m5board.com" is a life saver!

Gotta love LMGTFY too :haha:

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
483 Posts
Coming from a long history of car forum memberships, I've always thought of M5board to be on the "slower" side when it comes to thread movement and post counts, not that it's a bad thing. There are some car forums, even BMW specific, where the page has posts from last week, and sometimes last month. I think we're moving at a good pace. ;)

agree with this...definitely one of the slower forums i've been on. but there is a ton of information from searching. and I love the fact that images are mostly attached so they are still here even when it's quite an old thread.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Anyway, here's a LMGTFY example for a common theme rehashed many times over the years. :) :)
Just the question had me chuckling, but 15,500 hits for putting the rear wheels on the front? Amazing. The speed of progress in IT has been astonishing though; to think that ten years ago the latest mobiles would do text messages and we now have the wonder of smart phones that can measure the acceleration of our cars. It is the storage capacity that amazes my Dad; he has an electrical background and is completely computer literate, but can't get his head around how small plastic dongles can contain Gigabytes of storage...

I love the fact that images are mostly attached so they are still here even when it's quite an old thread.
I completely agree with that. It can be frustrating using some other forums for reference on various subjects and fantastic old threads are compromised by missing pictures!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Definitely not the biggest forum out there, and this is the time of the year when I expect traffic to slow a little - as Thanksgiving is upon us. The site seems about as active as it did when I joined.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts