BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opened the battery compartment for the first time today. Planning some DIY on Boxing Day, and after discovering a flat battery (car has been sitting for a while) I removed the battery and was surprised to find it simply lifts out of the compartment. In fact the previous owner has stuffed some old socks into the compartment on either side of the battery, presumably to stop it sliding around.

There are no obvious fixings in the compartment - does the battery simply sit loose in there?

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
No, its not supposed to be loose

Thats actually an MOT failure.

The socks in correlation to the engineering BMW has put in the rest of the car should be a clear indication of that.

Reactions: plenty

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
That's what I thought - daft Q I know. Just seen this diagram - is it parts 5,6 and 15 I am missing?

correct. didn't mean to be unfriendly thought.

at least you've got a spare pare of socks mate

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Once traded in a 300ZX , which came with polariods of the previous , HD biker owner. It would have been better if the PO was a stunning blonde if you catch my drift

Also, took in a car once which had one of those strange size video cassettes under the seat. As the woman who traded it in was quite the wild type, my colleagues and I rented a machine that would play those cassettes , and tried to get it working, and failed. Next day the woman called about the tape and picked it up RIGHT AWAY when after a coworker stupidly told her we found it.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Once traded in a 300ZX , which came with polariods of the previous , HD biker owner. It would have been better if the PO was a stunning blonde if you catch my drift

Also, took in a car once which had one of those strange size video cassettes under the seat. As the woman who traded it in was quite the wild type, my colleagues and I rented a machine that would play those cassettes , and tried to get it working, and failed. Next day the woman called about the tape and picked it up RIGHT AWAY when after a coworker stupidly told her we found it.
Too funny.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The above picture is for the standard e39 battery position, which is in the rh wheel arch.

The m5's battery sits in the plastic box, in the middle of the car (#8). There's a plastic cover over it (#11). However, there should also be a black polystyrene piece (#9) under the cover to press down on the battery and hold it properly in place.

Look here:

Link for part no.s etc:
RealOEM.com BMW E39 M5 Multifunctional pan, trunk

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I'm confused! I have the black polystrene piece and the plastic cover held down by three nuts. Is that all that's holding the battery in? The other posters above seem to suggest there's something else?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine doesnt seem to have any kind of bar or anything that holds it in place either. Though I do also have some scabby old rags of indeterminate origin stuffed down the sides of the battery as well.

But then looking at the screw-down lid I figured that's what holds the battery firmly in place?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Now I'm confused! I have the black polystrene piece and the plastic cover held down by three nuts. Is that all that's holding the battery in? The other posters above seem to suggest there's something else?
That is all that's holding it in place.
I'd you have the correct, oem size battery then the polystyrene and cover should be ok. If you have a different sized battery you could pack it with something, foam or stiff cardboard would do (or old socks!).

I too was rather surprised that the battery wasn't clamped down in a stronger, more secure manner. I was also a bit worried that it was only a plastic 'tub' that took the battery's weight. I even posted a suggestion in a thread on the board (HERE), to add a metal support under the plastic tub. However, in response to my thread, I was assured that no-one had ever suffered a problem with the battery tub, nor I presume with its clamping.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Yes. More than likely the PO replaced the 95R battery with a Group 49 or something smaller and just wedged socks/shirt in there to keep it still. I use a 49 in my M5, but I actually cut foam blocks to keep the battery absolutely still whilst driving.

·
Registered
488 Posts
the black polystyrene piece and the black pastic cover with 3 bolts are what holds the e39 m5 battery in place,unless you are planning to convert it to an off-road rally car or drive upside down this is sufficient- mine came with block of wood wedged in beside one end to keep it snug-(superior to socks) obviously not every supplier has the correct size battery for m5. Make sure your battery terminals are clean and secuely tightened to avoid all sorts of strange electrical gremlins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts