BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 M5 with the smaller navigation screen (I believe it's called MK2?). Anyways, I was curious to know whether the factory 16.9 screen from the 01+ M5 would fit in my car without any modifications?

I'm assuming I would just need the head unit and the DVD unit that goes in the trunk? Is it plug-and-play or is there more involved?

Lastly, I'm assuming what I have is called the MK2 and I want the MK3, correct?

I've been browsing on eBay but for some reason these clowns want $450 and up just for the in trunk DVD unit and another $450 and up just for the head unit... That's just madness.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Mark II refers to the navigation computer located in the trunk which came on 2000 M5s. The 01-02 M5s received the faster Mark III computers and 16:9 displays. I believe that only the 03 models received the Mark IV computer. If you are going through the hassle of upgrading, I would spend the extra $$ for the Mark IV over the Mark III. To answer your primary question, the display is a direct swap. Also, the 16:9 display is backwards compatible with the Mark II. One thing to note is that the 16:9 displays found in the E53 X5 will fit in the E39 but are angled a little differently which may result in a non-optimal viewing position. Make sure you purchase one that came from another E39.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUndmzuyvw

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Mark II refers to the navigation computer located in the trunk which came on 2000 M5s. The 01-02 M5s received the faster Mark III computers and 16:9 displays. I believe that only the 03 models received the Mark IV computer. If you are going through the hassle of upgrading, I would spend the extra $$ for the Mark IV over the Mark III. To answer your primary question, the display is a direct swap. Also, the 16:9 display is backwards compatible with the Mark II. One thing to note is that the 16:9 displays found in the E53 X5 will fit in the E39 but are angled a little differently which may result in a non-optimal viewing position. Make sure you purchase one that came from another E39.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUndmzuyvw
regarding the 16:9 display unit from an X5. the unit itself is compatible, however the cover plate is angled whereas the e39 cover is flat. i found this out the hard way. solved the problem by purchasing a used cover from another e39. fits perfect.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just thougth I would mention that you do not need to do the navigation unit upgrade if you dont use it. I personally only wanted the more modern look of the larger screen so I just updated to the 16:9 and left everything else in place.

Works perfect and now the interior along with a 2003 steering wheel gives my car a much more modern look.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi,

There's a bit more information as well.

1. The Monitors in E53 X5's have a different viewing angle compared to the E39 as mentioned by E39//Mpower above. Very very few ebay sellers know this or if they do, they don't make it clear in the adverts. The 'simplest' way will be for you to get a genuine E39 specific monitor, and then you know you have the right one. If you end up getting an X5 unit, you'll need to very delicately open up the monitor, then the flip down panel, remove the PCB and electronics and then very very carefully adjust 3 potentiometers and then carefully put everything back together again and hope you don't mess anything up. The 'trim' piece is the least of your worries there! Here's the DIY for adjusting it yourself
Adjusting 16x9 BoardMonitor (Very Long)

2. The Mk3 GPS computer will still need a 16:9 video module in order to make the widescreen monitor display correctly. Added expense. The Mk4 GPS computer can 'drive' the monitor directly. Double check the above is true via perhaps posts from owners who are much more clued up about the oem setup than me.

3. These old, failing more often modules have very high prices due to the fact many many BMW owners simply *must have* the oem look in their dash. Value for money, features, reliability and cost to keep them all working is all extremely low - however, as many people know, owners who want the oem look will pay the big pricing for such old electronics - get your wallet out for a bashing!

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: PumpinIron

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been thinking about replacing the MK3 unit in my 02. It's in perfect condition and everything works. If you're interested, I'll sell it, the DVD drive and a dice unit for $700. I'll even ship for free if you're in the US.

Let me know and I'll take some pictures / video.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

3. These old, failing more often modules have very high prices due to the fact many many BMW owners simply *must have* the oem look in their dash. Value for money, features, reliability and cost to keep them all working is all extremely low - however, as many people know, owners who want the oem look will pay the big pricing for such old electronics - get your wallet out for a bashing!

Cheers, Dennis!
I guess what baffles me though is that for what some of these guys want ($400 plus just for the display) you can pay $700 and get a brand new AVIN Avant-2 unit that not only looks factory but has full Android functionality.

I'd probably pay someone $400 for the display unit and the DVD unit in the trunk, but for $800 for both (or more) I'd think that upgrading to an Avant-2 might be the wiser idea.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi Pumpiniron,

Everyone is different and has differing opinions for when it comes to all sorts of aspects to the car. The audio systems etc is one of those and an aspect I particularly enjoy as I love my music and quality sound a lot. No oem audio solution in these E39's nor in many other cars is one I'd want to keep. If I got myself an absolutely pristine, low miled example E39 M5, I'd remove it all and fit my own equipment in. If I ever needed to re-sell i'd put all the oem stuff back in.

The Avin or Dynavin are the 'best' choice for a chinese oem'ish looking replacement head unit for you guys in the USA. I personally prefer the extra quality of a premium brand like Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer and I don't *have to keep* the oem look in the dash. All the cheap chinese replacement units awash on ebay are of low quality, so the potential for issues is quite high and that's what puts off a lot of owners who prefer the oem look not to change. That then means they have to spend considerable amounts keeping all the modules working and for any upgrades available.

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: PumpinIron

·
Registered
91 Posts
2. The Mk3 GPS computer will still need a 16:9 video module in order to make the widescreen monitor display correctly. Added expense. The Mk4 GPS computer can 'drive' the monitor directly. Double check the above is true via perhaps posts from owners who are much more clued up about the oem setup than me.
Just FYI, for most people, the USA e39s don't have the TV module (if that indeed is what you mean when you say 16:9 video module). So, someone could run a 16x9 widescreen & a MKIII without a video/TV module.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
you can pay $700 and get a brand new AVIN Avant-2 unit that not only looks factory but has full Android functionality.
"looks factory" is relative here, I suppose. I can spot an Avin from a mile away... I've passed on buying cars because of those units (wasn't the only factor, but was one of the factors that made me question whether PO was someone who really maintained it, or someone who tried to cut corners).

With that being said, for the money, they certainly aren't bad. I'm just a super OEM guy and tend to buy my personal cars from those who share my mindset. I have friends with those units and some friends with touch screens installed instead and they all love them, the functionality it adds is amazing. I would get the Avin (well, really, you should get the Dynavin... its better quality from what I can tell) over the 2000 split screen, but I'd rock a 16:9 screen on the MK2 software over the Dynavin/Avin.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just FYI, for most people, the USA e39s don't have the TV module (if that indeed is what you mean when you say 16:9 video module). So, someone could run a 16x9 widescreen & a MKIII without a video/TV module.
Hi Sealbench,

I didn't mean the 'TV module' for watching television broadcasts, I indeed meant the 'video module' that will make the monitor work. As far as I'm aware the Mk3 gps computer isn't capable of driving the monitor directly and a 'video module' is needed. Anyone with an 'older' E39 might have the video module that displays in 4:3 aspect ratio, so when they put in the widescreen monitor, they'll post up about the squashed picture/display and be told to upgrade to the 16:9 capable video module.

Blackxs - fair enough! it's when you may wish to (or other owners) improve the functionality of the oem setup, that your wallet will get emptied by a significant amount and the same will happen again if you need to repair/fix any of the multiple failure points :)

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Dennis,

In the USA, e39s are delivered without video modules. A 2001 & 2002 e39 with Navigation came with a 16x9 monitor & a MKIII.
Then, in 2003, an e39 with Navigation came with a 16x9 & a MKIV.
I couldn't find a video module in realoem.com for a 2001 540 with Navigation (for the USA).

Keith (sealbeach740)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi,

I'll try to remember that ! the amount of versions, revisions, specs, looms/wiring between various versions of the E39 now have international variances too!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I find it hard to remember which options the non-USA cars got that our cars didn't get. I think there were some really cool features that BMW put in cars that wasn't available to the USA cars. Plus, we got those "Nag" screens that you have to accept everytime you start the car on the Nav screen that the non-USA cars (I think) didn't have to deal with.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The PO had it replace with an E53 monitor and MKIV Nav in my 2000. He really spent the money on the car. I'm hopeful that the display was adjusted correctly already as I dont see the difference between that and the one on my 01.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts