Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,269 Posts
Valve cover looks wrong??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has at least the top end of an S38B36 fitted by the look of it, although married to an M88/3 airbox.

Spoke to the vendor, who assured me that this is how it left the factory. I proposed to him that it's got the wrong engine, but he seemed reluctant to agree, and has apparently already had an offer of £18k for the car, which I suggested he should accept pronto.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I was also going to add that the steering column appears to be in the incorrect position :tonquesmilie:

I was trying to look for a VIN on the site, but couldn't find anything. The valve cover is most certainly s38.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If indeed it is a genuine M635Csi, then it has had an S38 engine transplant.

Or is it an M6 with a RHD conversion?
Badging is wrong, either way.

Without the VIN we can only guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out it's this car:

BMW M Registry - Car Detail

So a complete S38B36 conversion (albeit with the M88 plenum) and not the original interior either. Vendor has text me again(!) and is adamant that the engine is original to the car, even though he accepts it's an S38. Odd.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It even says in the registry the engine was replaced, maybe he does not understand the obvious difference. Sure looks different from my 1985 M635. This engine will make it worth less since there is not much left original including interior. Kind of weird to see the different arrangement under the hood of a RHD.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
The VIN is showing WBA, not WBS.

I thought everything from ///M had a WBS VIN?? Even the 850 csi had a WBS VIN, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Neither the E24 M635CSi nor the M6, had WBS VIN's.
They were assembled on the normal (Dingolfing) production line.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty
1 - 9 of 9 Posts