BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Only BMW coolant and distilled water is tested & approved for use in a BMW radiator.

There are hundreds of popular radiator and oil additives on the market...none are tested or approved for use in BMW.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Redline works for me - my car is not approved by BMW or anyone else anymore
so I did'nt see the problem - did lower my temp anyway !

·
Registered
93 Posts
not approved for use in BMW engines - what a crock. IMHO I think BMW play on this far too much. What products are tested in BMW engines.....mmmmmmm....ahhh that's it, the products that you can only get from the dealer at extortionate prices :grrrrr: - TWS being an excellent example.

Lscman said:
Only BMW coolant and distilled water is tested & approved for use in a BMW radiator.

There are hundreds of popular radiator and oil additives on the market...none are tested or approved for use in BMW.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
JB_UK said:
not approved for use in BMW engines - what a crock. IMHO I think BMW play on this far too much. What products are tested in BMW engines.....mmmmmmm....ahhh that's it, the products that you can only get from the dealer at extortionate prices :grrrrr: - TWS being an excellent example.
Compatibility is not a crock.

TWS oil is a very poor example. Most engine oils have been tested to meet or exceed industry-standard specifications relating to compatibility and capability. Substituting one brand of engine oil with the same published specs for another is a totally safe practice, and understandably, BMW does not discourage it either. BMW approves the use of all oils meeting particular API and viscosity guidelines.

Antifreeze/Coolants and additives are a totally different issue because they are not all tested, approved or otherwise confirmed for compatibility. There is no American Coolant & Elixor Institute (ACEI) like the industry-recognized American Petroleum Institute (API). For this reason, nobody thoroughly tests and approves the suitability of various Antifreeze & cooling system additives for use in BMW. Only a few newer antifreeze formulas even claim to be compatible with other types. These products have only been on the market for a year or so. Mixing antifreeze and adding incompatible elixors has proven disasterous. For years, automotive mfrs have struggled with consumers who think they know everything & arbitrarily dump various elixors & non-approved fluids into their radiator, transmission and crankcase. Certain common antifreeze brands combine to develop gels and crystalline deposits that have plugged motors solid. General Motors recently saw serious issues. I have seen it first hand.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
540is said:
....my car is not approved by BMW or anyone else anymore
so I did'nt see the problem.... !
Fluids with proper certification that meet or exceed certain specifications are specified for use in machinery for reliability reasons & to ensure that it's lifespan is not reduced. While some consumers get busted, warranty issues are very secondary and irrelevant. No doubt the consumer can select non-approved products and see what happens! It does not matter if it's a farm tractor, commercial vehicle, BMW or special tool. Fact is, problems often surface, if inappropriate fluids are utilized during or beyond the warranty period. Many consumers do experiment with non-approved fluids. Some get lucky and some don't.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Re: Is Royal Purple's "PURPLE ICE" a superior product, over Red Line's "WATER WETTER"

Well in theory I agree - but hey - we all live in the real world also ...

Actually In Sweden you can't fit a Non OE car sterero in your
car and get it approved, we to a yearly inspection here to be able to drive the car on public roads (acording to the law), of course same goes with rims/tyres, brakes, suspension, etc etc etc. - but as often policy is not the same as law....
I think we can still chooose oils and water from a law perspective - but
then again there we have the Manufacturers covering that part ...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Re: Is Royal Purple's "PURPLE ICE" a superior product, over Red Line's "WATER WETTER"

If I lose my life insurance, I'm not going to begin smoking, taking illegal drugs or eating unidentifiable or inappropriate foods either (lol). This would seem to parallel logic that thoroughly tested & certified fluids are limited to the warranty period. IMO, adhering to proper maintenance practices beyond the warranty period are even more critical.

All kidding aside, everybody has to decide for themselves what fluids are compatible. I will admit I've seriously considered substituting aftermarket antifreeze that meets Mercedes specs. In some cases, added risk is acceptable.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Think this coins the discussion - weigh up the risks then take your pick. :thumbsup:

Lscman said:
If I lose my life insurance, I'm not going to begin smoking, taking illegal drugs or eating unidentifiable or inappropriate foods either (lol). This would seem to parallel logic that thoroughly tested & certified fluids are limited to the warranty period. IMO, adhering to proper maintenance practices beyond the warranty period are even more critical.

All kidding aside, everybody has to decide for themselves what fluids are compatible. I will admit I've seriously considered substituting aftermarket antifreeze that meets Mercedes specs. In some cases, added risk is acceptable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts