BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Is my X5 faster than the M6?

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  MarkQC 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Took delivery of my M6 few days ago... it now has 300KM on the clock and seems to be getting a little faster every day.

Acceleration was not that fast when the car was collected - in fact, I would say that my new X5 3.0 Diesel Twin Turbo could keep up, if not beat the M6 up to 60-70km per hour. Is this normal?

I understand that the M6 doesn't do too well below 3,000-4,000 rpm but I just want to ask whether BMW's software is blocking power output in the cars early life.

btw. been on this forum for many months and would like congratulate all of you for bringing owners so close together. it's really something.

#3 ·
I am sure the engine is going thru a learning curve but I can't imagine that it is enough to let an X5 bet it.

I know most people don't care that much about the brake in period and I don't want to sound like I am on my soapbox but.... BMW uses a radically different type of oil when it ships the car. I have been told that it is basically mineral oil (which would make sense because it would help harden the metals). Assuming that is true, mineral oil has much less viscosity and lubricating power compared to what they will use at the 1200 mile marker. You might want to go easy on her for a few more miles.

#4 ·
thanks fubar - this does make sense.

i haven't been thrashing the car if that's what it sounds like... i have on two occasions gone to 8,000 rpm in 2nd gear and that is it really... the roads in this country are so short that i only use 2-3 gear!!

will publish some pics soon.

take care

#8 ·
thanks fubar - this does make sense.

i haven't been thrashing the car if that's what it sounds like... i have on two occasions gone to 8,000 rpm in 2nd gear and that is it really... the roads in this country are so short that i only use 2-3 gear!!

will publish some pics soon.

take care
Oh oh, I am telling BMW you are in big trouble buddy.:hihi: JK. Wait until after break in, the X5 will seem alot slower!

#5 ·
Acceleration was not that fast when the car was collected - in fact, I would say that my new X5 3.0 Diesel Twin Turbo could keep up, if not beat the M6 up to 60-70km per hour. Is this normal?
Your diesel has high torque at low RPM, which gives great acceleration at lower speeds.

BMW is about to introduce diesel models in the US :M5thumbs:
This might be surprising to those of you in other parts of the world, since about 70% of BMWs are diesels in Europe and 40% worldwide. Your model will be one of the first sold in the US, oddly called the X5 xDrive 35d -- rather than the more logical name: X535d :lightbulb:

#7 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

How are the diesels, compared to regular gas, performance and mileage wise. My buddy just bought a diesel jetta for work. Gets great gas mileage but has horrible performance. I'm going to be looking for something to drive around in that's easier on consumption than my xc 90

#10 ·
There's no comparison in performance between an M6 and an X5 Diesel. Take it easy during break in!

You have a VERY fast car. Congratulations and welcome

#11 ·
its hard for me to believe that anyone who has collected their brand new M6 from their dealer will drive around following the break-in procedures without occasionally having a go!

i mean common guys!

btw.. 1st gear in that x5 diesel is something you gotta experience over in the U.S.. 4wd does help but i would still say that 1st, 2nd gear in that 3.0 Diesel TT is quite something... remember, this jeep comes in a 2 tons and has just 280 hp.

i'll have to wait and see how the M6 responds after the 1200 km break in.

#12 ·
its hard for me to believe that anyone who has collected their brand new M6 from their dealer will drive around following the break-in procedures without occasionally having a go!

i mean common guys!

btw.. 1st gear in that x5 diesel is something you gotta experience over in the U.S.. 4wd does help but i would still say that 1st, 2nd gear in that 3.0 Diesel TT is quite something... remember, this jeep comes in a 2 tons and has just 280 hp.

i'll have to wait and see how the M6 responds after the 1200 km break in.
Most do, I know I gave it a go here and there. Simon at Evosport fully ignored the break in procedure knowing that these engines are very stout. His car runs great no issues. It is not worth the risk of completely disregarding, I do not think I ever fully cranked it in P500s though.

#13 ·
Don't worry about how the car feels.....your M6 will never feel truly fast because of the modest torque.

But, it will push you in the seat and keep you there.

Acceleration is relative. Try running (in a safe location that is not a public road) anything short of the Z06 and you will clearly see how fast your car is.

:cheers:

#17 · (Edited)
I have an idea, why don't you race an M6 you encounter on the road. Keeping in mind safety and adherence to traffic laws and etiquette of course;) I know I would be more than happy to give your X5 diesel a nice long look at my duck butt as I sail past you. There is no comparison my friend. It may feel a bit closer down low but if the car is properly broken in and driven, I would not expect to see an X5 for longer than 10-15 seconds. Enjoy and welcome!:)

#18 ·
i'd have to get my wife to race me as my m6 is the only one in this country! LOL... sounds funny but it's true. :)

i totally agree that the m6 is a much faster car but the problem is torque... the x5 produces 580 at 1.750 which can be felt whereby the m6 doesn't come to life until 4,000-5,000. also, the roads here are so short that i can never really feel the true power of the car.

#19 ·
Hi Guys,

Took delivery of my M6 few days ago... it now has 300KM on the clock and seems to be getting a little faster every day.

I understand that the M6 doesn't do too well below 3,000-4,000 rpm but I just want to ask whether BMW's software is blocking power output in the cars early life.

btw. been on this forum for many months and would like congratulate all of you for bringing owners so close together. it's really something.
If I remember correctly, during the break-in period you had to stay below a certain RPM and not drive it rough.

Just wait. After that period, it will amaze you. The acceleration is fantastic and the launch control is even better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.