BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My m5 is an 08 with 125k kms. Owned for 2 years and hadn’t even seen the engine light come on once until unfortunately last night. Was leaving a friends house, got on the highway and there was another bmw trying to race so we went at it. I noticed my car didn’t go past 270km/h. Came to a stop at a light and it stalled.. turned it on and it struggled but started up. I was at this point 5 mins from my house. As I start driving “reduced engine power + low oil pressure stop engine not possible to driver” it died again at the next light and this time it would just crank only. Waiting 5 mins then it started but died immediately. Turned it on again and gave it gas to keep it alive. The 2 min drive left to my house i heard nothing but rattle that sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the engine. Once I pulled up to my house and stopped, it died right away and I haven’t turned it on since.

this is my 2nd m5. The last time I had a rattle it turned out to be the vanos pump. However last time I never got “low oil pressure” fault

so am I done for? Is this the rod bearings ?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Kind of sounds like vanos pump again unfortunately. Main oil pump is driven off the vanos pump so if the vanos pump fails in certain ways the main oil pump stops being driven which means, well, we all know what that means. I'm not sure if the M5 automatically shuts off the engine when it detects low oil pressure or not. Have you drained the oil and taken a look? Or cut open the oil filter? If you don't find a glitter show, I'd start taking the bottom end apart. If you do, then you probably have your answer. Could it be that the internal vanos line blew? Not sure. If it is then you won't have any lasting engine damage. I would start by draining your oil and cutting open the oil filter, see what you see in both of those.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Check the codes first. That should hopefully point you in a direction.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of sounds like vanos pump again unfortunately. Main oil pump is driven off the vanos pump so if the vanos pump fails in certain ways the main oil pump stops being driven which means, well, we all know what that means. I'm not sure if the M5 automatically shuts off the engine when it detects low oil pressure or not. Have you drained the oil and taken a look? Or cut open the oil filter? If you don't find a glitter show, I'd start taking the bottom end apart. If you do, then you probably have your answer. Could it be that the internal vanos line blew? Not sure. If it is then you won't have any lasting engine damage. I would start by draining your oil and cutting open the oil filter, see what you see in both of those.
I haven’t done anything yet. I don’t work on my car myself. I will have to get it towed to the shop I use. The previous m5 also failed on me on the highway and when my mechanic took a look the teeth were stripped on the vanos pump. I remember doing the rod bearings while I was at it. The total repair cost me $9k. The new pump alone was $4600. I know I got ripped off and could of got it cheaper if I bought it myself

·
Registered
E60 M5 2006
218 Posts
I haven’t done anything yet. I don’t work on my car myself. I will have to get it towed to the shop I use. The previous m5 also failed on me on the highway and when my mechanic took a look the teeth were stripped on the vanos pump. I remember doing the rod bearings while I was at it. The total repair cost me $9k. The new pump alone was $4600. I know I got ripped off and could of got it cheaper if I bought it myself
If it's the VANOS pump failure, look into a Dr Vanos improved pump instead of another OE part. It's cheaper, and better.

Rod bearings don't give a CEL warning. I'm hopeful you're good.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Pointless to guess at this point with the information we have. Could be vanos pump, could be spun bearing. Knocking kinda makes me thing the latter, or I guess, it could be both.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If it's the VANOS pump failure, look into a Dr Vanos improved pump instead of another OE part. It's cheaper, and better.
I don't think Dr Vanos pump is better than original brand new pump. I think you misunderstood what the OP described about the new Vanos pump, the new pump was installed on his previous car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts