BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, I am not sure what's going on with my car. Three months ago I suddenly started hearing a somewhat loud click, clack noise along with a vibration comming from the drive train. Upon inspection at the mechanic shot the guibo was severely cracked in multiple places to where the threads were visible. The guibo was replaced under after market warranty and the noise was gone, but there was still a slight vibration present, but can be hardly felt only when slowly taking off from a dead stop. I really thought nothing of it because this vibration was there before. So I figured that is just how these cars are built.

Fast foward to three days ago and the same symptoms returned, but I was unable to duplicate it at the shop. The indy told me that my CSB is likely shot and will need replacement, but to keep in mind that I might need a new drive shaft. I feel to a certain extent I am being mislead because if this issue was present initially, why did the noise go away after to return three months later.

Also, if the CSB was an issue is it not visible when the bad guibo was removed prompting a replacement? Now the symptoms are back again and I am headed to the shop. I have read multiple threads relating to this issue and my understanding is the CSB usually causes a weeee, weeee high frequency noise not a loud click, clack noise like a card caught in a bicycle spoke. Will a bad driveshaft cause this loud noise? Is the driveshaft susceptible to failure after certain miles. My beast is at 127k miles right now and I sure as heck don't dog it. It's my daily driver. Those with knowledged of the E39 M5 drivetrain please chime in so I can be armed with good info. when at the shop. Thanks all in advance.

Vic

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?? Thoughts?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a similar issue turned out to be the cv joint at the rear of the driveshaft. Not to be confused with the cv joints that go to the rear wheels. If it is that you should be able to get your hands on it with the car in the air. If you have noticeable movement of the driveshaft up and down, then that joint is probably bad. The good news it can be replaced without replacing the entire driveshaft assembly, the bad news is you will still have to remove the exhaust. Incidentally I heard a clink noise when accelerating, very much like a bad u-joint.

Reactions: Beasty5

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response Bluerumble. While at the shop earlier today, The Indy pulled out a drive shaft he took of an E39 M5 he had previously worked on and explained things in detail. He mentioned that the CV joint could also be bad as well and could be replaced without chunking the entire drive shaft, but he said that if the U joint is bad, then I need a new drive shaft. I'll know exactly what I am in for tomorrow and I'll post findings here. Thanks again.

Vic

·
Registered
46 Posts
What are the odds? I'm having the exact same problem. How much will the repair cost? I'm waiting on an indy to call me back with a quote. I already pulled the drive shaft out so hopefully it won't cost too much.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I ran into the same situation just before my car hit 100k and I had a clinking sound coming from underneath. The shop I went to told me more less the same thing yours' is telling you and so I decided to change it. Change your driveshaft and have peace of mind for another 100k! :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sounds very similar to when my driveshaft went out in May. A loud clicking noise with vibration and a wee sound as it got worse. It ran $980 at the dealer with a new guibo and they also found I had a broken rear sway bar bracket. No problems since I've replaced it and the vibration that I thought was in the wheels was the driveshaft. The mechanic felt the guibo disintegrating caused the shaft to bend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wasn't getting much help so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I replaced the CV joint my self and only paid $200 for the part. Not a bad maintenance item and it only took a couple of hours plus I saved some serious cash. Might have to go out and celebrate this weekend with all that saved green :cheers:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mechanic replaced the drive shaft along with the CV joint. The vibration disappeared, but still getting a slight click noise only on take off or very slow turns. Not a continuos click clack like before, but just a single click..:dunno:.

Vic

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The mechanic replaced the drive shaft along with the CV joint. The vibration disappeared, but still getting a slight click noise only on take off or very slow turns. Not a continuos click clack like before, but just a single click..:dunno:.

Vic
Wheel bearing(s)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts