BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is my clutch gone?!?!?!?!

OMFG!!! I think my clutch or either the transmission has gone out on my 1 week old car!!!!

The check engine light came on and I took it out for a drive to see what's wrong. Well, the car is slipping in all gears. I get a little acceleration and then it just goes all the way up to redline!:mad: Now the car won't even go into gear!:crying:

Someone please tell me that I have a case. I'm taking it (if it'll go) into service in the morning and they'd better not tell me I'm responsible. I haven't even put 500 miles on the car yet!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re: The love is gone!

robluvs2xlr8 said:
Where did you buy the car?
BMW of Bellevue, WA

CPO, Under current full maintenance plan and bought an extended 3-year full maintenance plan that runs until 2008

And I'm getting a burnt smell when I start the car. It was smoking when I brought it back from driving to see what was wrong with it.

·
Registered
332 Posts

KWP said:
BMW of Bellevue, WA

CPO, Under current full maintenance plan and bought an extended 3-year full maintenance plan that runs until 2008

And I'm getting a burnt smell when I start the car. It was smoking when I brought it back from driving to see what was wrong with it.
The clutch is not covered with CPO, as it is a wear and tear item. The transmission, however, is covered, along with anything electrical.

I'm not too familiar with the BMW maintenance warranty, but just take it in, and tell them what happend. I'm sure if it is not covered by warranties, that they should do it as a goodwill.

·
Registered
445 Posts

that is correct. The clutch is not covered in the CPO plan but it IS covered under the extended maintenance so he's fine..

robluvs2xlr8 said:
The clutch is not covered with CPO, as it is a wear and tear item. The transmission, however, is covered, along with anything electrical.

I'm not too familiar with the BMW maintenance warranty, but just take it in, and tell them what happend. I'm sure if it is not covered by warranties, that they should do it as a goodwill.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

robluvs2xlr8 said:
The maintenance agreement I'm reading says that the clutch is covered, so I should be made whole immediately!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Is my clutch gone?!?!?!?!

Guess it goes to show that CPO isn't always the panacea its cracked up to be.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

ard said:
Methinks the dealer inspection on this cpo was a bit lacking...
Yeah, and that's what's starting to worry me.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

How long should it take for the clutch to cool off enough to be able to engage and drive the car again?

I'm trying to determine if I can drive the car tomorrow or if I'll have to call them to come and tow it to the shop.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

There really is no hardline answer for a clutch cool down. If you got it to the point where it was smoking, then the thing is toast, and your best bet is getting it towed to the dealership. If it has been slipping in all gears, the clutch is D-E-D dead, and needs to be replaced. My guess is if you tried troubleshooting it and got it to smoke that bad, then you will need to get a new flywheel and maybe some other componets in the clutch. Sorry to bring bad news...
:cheers:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Id say that even if the clutch is not covered the dealer who sold it to you would be obliged to replace it for you as he has sold you a defective car. My mates in the "trade" and he says that if a clutch goes on a car he sells within 3 months he will go halfs or pay for all of a new clutch depending on how he thinks the owner has treated it!

Your "testing" drive sounded like it was the final nail in the coffin of your clutch. Id suggest getting the dealer to collect it, driving it now is only going to screw the flywheel etc that is if it hasnt already been burnt to death.

My concern for you is that it has gone SO quickly! normally a clutch slip is a gradual process!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Manx M5 said:
Your "testing" drive sounded like it was the final nail in the coffin of your clutch. Id suggest getting the dealer to collect it, driving it now is only going to screw the flywheel etc that is if it hasnt already been burnt to death.

My concern for you is that it has gone SO quickly! normally a clutch slip is a gradual process!
Well, the clutch is totally gone. I went out there this morning and the car still won't go into gear.

Hear we go arguing with the service people.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
KWP said:
Well, the clutch is totally gone. I went out there this morning and the car still won't go into gear.

Hear we go arguing with the service people.
Relax. You have the maintenance plan, you are covered. Even without it, a 1 week old car would probably be covered by any repuatable dealer. And if the dealer claims you must have abused the clutch, this board has a TON of info on clutches going bad. It is a known weak link on the car. So, calm down, give the dealer and chance and let's see what happens.
Clutch is a one day job for the dealer, so expect it to take about 2 real days if the part is in stock. And BMW does carry an entire M5 clutch replacement kit, which includes clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing. Remember to break the clutch in gently for the first 1000 miles or so.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts