BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the m5 MOT'ed, and although it passed the guy gave it an advisory about the propshaft component defective (ie the centre bearing that's been rattling for a little while). He has also put a warning at the bottom stating he thinks it's dangerous to drive?!

While I'm obviously going to get this sorted, I can't see this being dangerous.

I've searched through the other centre bearing threads and can't find anything suggesting it is dangerous.

What do people think?

Thanks for any comments in advance!

·
Registered
732 Posts
It is not dangerous, more annoying. There is, like any vehicle component, that chance that it COULD seize and wreck something, but that is VERY unlikely.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The only significant danger from the prop shaft is if the flex disk at either end or the universal joint near the centre bearing fails totally. If that happens then the prop shaft could drop, dig into the road and come through the floor at you!

A worn centre bearing could accelerate wear on those joints, increasing the probability of failure.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Was trying to check mine earlier but gave up, how did he see it?!
Had a prop fall off a lorry because of this, and drag along motorway for few miles.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Was trying to check mine earlier but gave up, how did he see it?!
Had a prop fall off a lorry because of this, and drag along motorway for few miles.
He was checking for mines with one of them fancy mirrors - spotted the worn bearing.:byebye:

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Like others have stated, the center bearing usually makes a racket before failing. Probably a case of CYA on the part of the inspector. You can replace the center bearing or just pop in a new driveshaft which includes the flex disc (guibo), etc. Personally I chose the latter so as not to deal with other driveshaft issues in the future. Not that expensive as well!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. I'm driving a 250 round trip at the weekend but to be honest I doubt it will run into any problems, other than making the annoying rattle.

The MOT guy noticed the rattle when he drove it onto the lifter.

What sort of timeframe are we talking to remove the exhaust and heatshield, and replace centrebearing/driveshaft/guibo?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's basically a disclaimer so they don't have any liability, I wouldn't worry about it.
Going to get mine done soon, just got to verify what part numbers I need to order.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers. Got it looked at the other week.. Turned out that the bolts holding the centre bearing had come loose! They also said all the bits looked good in there and that it'd been changed before so wasn't a bad result after all!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
When I watch "car shows" on the BBC they often refer to the MOT and how important it is.

Here in the colonies, each individual state has its own (usually annual) inspection, which are here means checking that all the lights work, the horn and parking brake, and that the SES/CEL light isn't on. They used to check emissions, now they just query the ODB II to see if there are any emissions codes.

What, exactly, is your MOT and why in the world would they pass a car if they think it's too dangerous to drive? I understand the CYA aspect, but it seems like it's almost as much of a joke as it is here.

Glad the OP has it all sorted.

Cheers,
Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts