BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the military and I have an opportunity to get orders to Japan if I want to. I would be moving to Yokosuka Japan, which is only about 30 miles south of Tokyo. From what I've heard from other military members, Japan has some pretty bad roads and the punishment for traffic violations are pretty stiff. I've even heard that if you get a DUI in Japan that it's a $100,000 fine, and 5 years hard labor. Don't know if that's true, but I don't plan on getting a DUI anywhere.

So my question to the board is has anybody been to Japan? If so do you know if there are any BMW's there? Are there any good roads to drive in the country? Also I have an RPI Stage 2 M5 except for the Headers, does anybody know if I'll have to have the stock exhaust reinstalled if I have the M5 shipped over there from the USA.

If I move there, I would really like to bring my M5 if it is worth doing so. If not then I may just consider selling my M5, and saving for about 3 years to buy a new car when I get back to the USA.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've heard that emissions are really strict in japan. The roads are also kind of small in tokyo and gas is super expensive.

But if you can overcome those things. I don't see why not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am based in Tokyo and just recently upgraded to an M5 having previously owned a E39 540i for 5 years. In that time I only got one speeding ticket on the highway from Tokyo to the main airport, penalty was 3 points on the licence and about a 100 dollar fine. For DUI they are very strict and along with your fine also fine you 1000 dollars for every passenger you have with you ! For the first offence its not so serious aside from the money as long as you dont cause any damage to someone and of course say your sorry.

On a plus side Japan has some of the best tuning shops and a number of tracks to play on including the Fuji speedway which hosts the F1 races. It also has some great mountain roads which on the weekend are full of high powered bikes and cars racing around from very early in the morning to evade the authorities. Also a good idea to get a radar detector which everyone seems to have.

So overall a great place to own a high powered car but just be smart when and where to enjoy it. Let me know if you come to Japan and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. It's definitely a tough decision. Yeah I already have a V1 with remote display installed in the M5. I am a little concerned about the cost of gas too. Seems like traffic fines are a little worse than the states too. It's good to know that if I need tuning or maintenance I'll have some support out there as well. That eases my mind a lot. So does everyone agree that I should install the stock exhaust back on the M5? I live in California now and they have pretty strict emissions standards here, and I know that with my RPI Full GT exhaust system I can still pass a smog test. So I'm wondering if Japan is really that much more strict than California is. Now also to just see if my financing company would even allow me to take the car overseas. Thanks my M5 brothas!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I lived in Japan a few years ago. From what I remember the roads can be pretty narrow in some areas. I had a RAV 4 and was a little skeptical about going down certain streets in fear of getting stuck (I did manage to scape up both mirrors at the same time once). All of the parking lots out in town are pretty tight. Also I seem to remember that if you live out in town that you are required to have the local police verify the size of your car and the size of you parking space. I don't know how strict they are on this, but it could potentially limit where you live due to not having anywhere to park you car. If I were you, I would sell the E60 M5, get an island beater for a couple hundred bucks to drive around and take advantage of the BMW military sales program to get the F10 M5 before I headed back to CONUS. I know it's a tough decision, but good luck!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I lived in Japan a few years ago. From what I remember the roads can be pretty narrow in some areas. I had a RAV 4 and was a little skeptical about going down certain streets in fear of getting stuck (I did manage to scape up both mirrors at the same time once). All of the parking lots out in town are pretty tight. Also I seem to remember that if you live out in town that you are required to have the local police verify the size of your car and the size of you parking space. I don't know how strict they are on this, but it could potentially limit where you live due to not having anywhere to park you car. If I were you, I would sell the E60 M5, get an island beater for a couple hundred bucks to drive around and take advantage of the BMW military sales program to get the F10 M5 before I headed back to CONUS. I know it's a tough decision, but good luck!
Hmmm, yes also sound advice. I have considered that as well. I am really serious about moving there. I would maybe sell my E60 M5 here, and then buy some cheap BMW they have there or maybe an older ///M car. I have considered saving up for the F10 M5 and surprisingly I am also considering one day buying a Audi V10 R8. Both I would buy either through the military sales program. Such a tough decision. The only thing is that I think I would have to drive both to really see if they are what I want. I love the E60 M5, and I wonder as many many people do if an E60 M5 with the ESS Supercharger is going to be better than the F10 M5.

Well first I'm still waiting to find out if I get the orders to Japan, if not then this is all speculation. In the mean time, I'm having trouble researching if it's possible to even bring my M5 over there. Can anyone on the board help me find some info on exact criteria for bringing a US Spec car over there. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
From living in Japan, I know there is ZERO tolerance for DUI. And just as someone said, all the passengers get severely penalized as well. You could play the gaijin card, and see how far that gets you... and speak english all the way. =)

·
Registered
36 Posts
You are aware that they drive on the other side of the road - right? It takes some getting used to, and as others have mentioned it is tight. I live southwest of central Tokyo and to be honest a car would be more of a nuisance getting around. There are lots of bmw's here - no shortage, but not a lot of space to open up your m5. I would not recommend bringing it over -- toomuch work to get it over, get it road legal, and then pay for parking (unless you have that handled)...

Tokyo is so much fun you won't miss the car I promise!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are aware that they drive on the other side of the road - right? It takes some getting used to, and as others have mentioned it is tight. I live southwest of central Tokyo and to be honest a car would be more of a nuisance getting around. There are lots of bmw's here - no shortage, but not a lot of space to open up your m5. I would not recommend bringing it over -- toomuch work to get it over, get it road legal, and then pay for parking (unless you have that handled)...

Oh actually I was not aware that they drive on the other side of the road there! So it's like England then huh?! The more and more I research the more that I'm leaning towards selling the car. I'm glad to hear that there is no shortage of BMW's over there. I'm thinking maybe I can sell my car here and then just buy a small BMW over there to cruise around with for 3 years then buy a new car when I come back to the states. Thanks for the advice guys! I'll let everyone know if I get orders there or not.

·
Registered
366 Posts

You know, I will have to agree with his last statement!

:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts