BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wash, wax and seal my TiAg ///M5. I normally polish all other of my darker cars but, I cant seem to see swirls on the light silver. Is it really worth it to polish TiAg? Anyone have any before/after pics? I feel like if I did, the results would not be that rewarding.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Not from far away but put a flashlight at an angle and you'll see them. While not as noticeable as a black car, swirls happen to every clear coat. Silver cars are known to be low maintenance because the swirls are less evident, though.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So I wash, wax and seal my TiAg ///M5. I normally polish all other of my darker cars but, I cant seem to see swirls on the light silver. Is it really worth it to polish TiAg? Anyone have any before/after pics? I feel like if I did, the results would not be that rewarding.
I tend to agree with you. My wife managed to crack the front bumper and ding the hood on her Tiag 530i. I was looking forward to seeing the new hood and bumper painted since she had accumulated several rock chips over the years. End result...meh. Of course the flip side is that it lloks fine w/o a washing (for weeks)...the wheels are what finally force me to wash her.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is by far the least rewarding color to polish. I gave mine a good 4-6 hours wash wax polish treatment and it came out looking far far far better from a foot and a half away. But looking at the paint from any farther, the car looks no different. I guess for me its just the satisfaction that I am treating the beast well.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It is by far the least rewarding color to polish. I gave mine a good 4-6 hours wash wax polish treatment and it came out looking far far far better from a foot and a half away. But looking at the paint from any farther, the car looks no different. I guess for me its just the satisfaction that I am treating the beast well.

It CAN be less rewarding when its in OK shape and you invest 3-5 hours detailing it, but it is alo the most rewarding when you give it a quick wash (provided the paint doent have swirls and hair-line scracthes).
Also, I have noticed that small hairline scratches show a lot more on the TiAG that they did on my other cars (except black may be)

All aside, very few colors show the true classic lines of the E39 better than the TiAG. Or may be I am just biased.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, like I said, I dont think I will ever get any satisfaction out of polishing my TiAg. I guess its just wash and seal with a buffer for me. I am thinking of respraying my front bumper and doing a keyhole delete on my bootlid. If the paint comes out significantly shinier than the rest of the paint on the car, that may be enough means for me to polish it. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts