BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Staggered wheels are wheels that are different in width between the front and the back. For example 8 inches wide in front and 9 inches wide in the rear.

Very rarely are staggered wheels classed as wheels that are of a different rim size i.e 18's in front and 19's in the rear.

As for a recommendation. It comes down to personal choice. For the E39, I think 18 inch wheels are all that is necessary. There are possibly a few 19 inch wheels out there that are lighter than the best 18's, but I could not afford them :1:

Most people who put 19's on, are doing it for cometic purposes... to make their car look different from the rest...

Your car, your money... that's the way I see it..

Enjoy......... :noSMG:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Your gonna find people with different takes on this.

Some will say no, to much weight or even if it's lighter it's not needed, to tall etc.

Personally it's up to you. 19 and 20 fit.

Personally if i was to upgrade it'd do the ACS type 3 racing 19x9 and 19x11...with 265 and 305 f&r rolling the fenders.

But it's all personal choice. Just decide on your own.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've now bent all four of my 19 inch ACS Type 3 rims TWICE!

Yes, they look great, and yes they can be fixed for $500, but the roads are so poor here in Boston I have gone back to the stock 18s. Anybody who wants a deal on my 19s, pm me, I am done!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Go with 18's if performance, comfort, and durability are important to you. After all, the BMW engineers are pretty smart guys.

Some go with 19's strictly for the looks. Some of those same guys say that 18's look too small. Others think that 19's look awkward and out of place on the M5.

See what I mean? Let us know what you end up doing. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Andre,

you know you want 19s!

As for the comments on this topic...there is a very small penalty for running 19s in ride quality. Performance is actually hindered as you are non longer able to run race rubber.

Sticking with the 18's also provide some issues...BBK's may or may not fit the oem or aftermarket 18s unless you spec the wheels to fit an exact BBK.

Pretty much 19's are for looks or for larger BBK's (sometimes) and it comes down to a personal preference

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
2MS,

This is a question that we have seen many times. 19's are perhaps better looking, but comes with a number of penalties. Cost to purchase, tire cost goes up, handling is negatively effected because of increased weight, ride penalty and damage potential goes up are just a few issues.

I have had 18 inch ACH Type III wheels for two years and have not had a durability problem to date.

Of couse the looks issue can trump the negatives above if that is the true intent.

Mark

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
one more thing i would like to add.

This convo has gone on for years on every forum and every wheel shop everywhere.

You can go back to the guy that asked " can I swap my 13"s for 16"s" and somebody said "well that will hinder peformance it's all looks." The standard once was 15" then 17" now 18" many think 19" is fine...shoot even the Enzo, saleen s7 etc run 19"s. So to do many of the GT cars that race.

It's all up to you, if you go with the normal ways of running 19's, ie...stock width and tire size(245-40,275-35) you normally decrese the sidewall but and feel the road a bit more, some like that...but since 20"s have been proven to fit you could run the same size tire sidewall and keep that extra rubber between you and the road and still run 19"s. I hope that made sence to more than just me.

My point is, it's an endless debate that will never stop even years from now they will debate 26"s or 28"s. Follow your heart.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Jayson said:
one more thing i would like to add.

This convo has gone on for years on every forum and every wheel shop everywhere.

You can go back to the guy that asked " can I swap my 13"s for 16"s" and somebody said "well that will hinder peformance it's all looks." The standard once was 15" then 17" now 18" many think 19" is fine...shoot even the Enzo, saleen s7 etc run 19"s. So to do many of the GT cars that race.

It's all up to you, if you go with the normal ways of running 19's, ie...stock width and tire size(245-40,275-35) you normally decrese the sidewall but and feel the road a bit more, some like that...but since 20"s have been proven to fit you could run the same size tire sidewall and keep that extra rubber between you and the road and still run 19"s. I hope that made sence to more than just me.

My point is, it's an endless debate that will never stop even years from now they will debate 26"s or 28"s. Follow your heart.
Jayson, you bring up a good point with the evolution to a bigger wheel. The key to making a larger diameter wheel work correctly is if the car was originally designed for the larger wheel. The M5 was not.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I remember right, several members of this board run 17's on the track due to the greater availability of R-compounds (and, I assume, the much lower cost of said tires). I'm of the school of thought that anything above 18's would likely actually detract from handling while increasing cost.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Murph said:
If I remember right, several members of this board run 17's on the track due to the greater availability of R-compounds (and, I assume, the much lower cost of said tires). I'm of the school of thought that anything above 18's would likely actually detract from handling while increasing cost.

I remember just a few years ago the same thing was said about running 18"s vs 17"s.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Murph said:
Another reason for running 17" wheels on the track is the reduction in polar moment of inertia. If you've seen a skater spin and then pull her arms in close to her body, she spins faster. It's the same concept. She reduces her polar moment of inertia even though her weight remains constant. So it is (in general) easier to accelerate and deccelerate a 17" wheel than an 18" wheel because the distribution of mass is closer to the center on the smaller wheel. In racing, your wheels should only be big enough to clear your brakes.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have to run 19's to clear my AP Racing calipers. I don't mind the ride and they look incredible.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
madyspop said:
I have to run 19's to clear my AP Racing calipers. I don't mind the ride and they look incredible.
Those brakes won't fit under any 18" wheels? I'm surprised, since the Brembo 8-piston monsters can fit under plenty of 19" wheels and there are even 17" wheels (e.g., Borbet Type E) that will clear the 14" (355mm) Brembo and StopTech brakes.

Don't get me wrong, your setup looks fantastic.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Those brakes won't fit under any 18" wheels? I'm surprised, since the Brembo 8-piston monsters can fit under plenty of 19" wheels and there are even 17" wheels (e.g., Borbet Type E) that will clear the 14" (355mm) Brembo and StopTech brakes.

Don't get me wrong, your setup looks fantastic.
:cheers:

My understanding is it's like the rest of the kits. You need a spacer/larger offset, not a larger size wheel. and also that the stock size rotor with the 6 piston caliper fits teh stock wheels...least that was my understanding maybe that will change now.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I need to make the decision of what type of setup I want and go from there.

FYI--
I like the original OEM wheels that's on our car, but just wanted them in a larger diameter and BMW does not offer them. So, I just saw the "staggered-replica's in 19'" and thought about purchasing them.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
2MS said:
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I need to make the decision of what type of setup I want and go from there.

FYI--
I like the original OEM wheels that's on our car, but just wanted them in a larger diameter and BMW does not offer them. So, I just saw the "staggered-replica's in 19'" and thought about purchasing them.

you talking about the ones on ebay? If so I saw them too, really the only question is are they as strong as the stock...and thats hard to answer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had the same problem fitting the OEM wheels over the AP Racing BBK; fitting the brake kit was such an essential upgrade in my mind that I was happy to accept the compromises of running 19s. Having said that, the OZs are about a third lighter than the OEM wheels, so unsprung weight is substantially reduced.

From a ride quality perspective, there is a difference, but not one that has made me consider going back to stock.

Roger

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Roger,

Love the wheels man....they remind me of mine. Oh thats right, same wheels.

PLEASE PEOPLE STOP GETTING THE OZ SLIII'S ON YOUR M5'S! if you people keep buying them im going to have to switch rims again to be different from the masses.

hiha hiha hiha hiha

1 - 20 of 37 Posts