BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds strange, but lately while driving in S5 with traction control fully on, as I downshift into 2nd gear and accellerate WOT, I feel as if I'm not going anywhere. It feels like my clutch is slipping and I do not hear any tirespin at all, but the traction control icon is blinking during that whole moment of "slippage". When I arrived home, the car definitely had a faint burnt clutch smell & no burnt rubber smell. Has this ever happend to any of you before?

·
Registered
732 Posts
The smell is probably from the brakes not the clutch, they are made out of similar materials. Please read up on the DSC system to understand what your car is doing when you leave TC on and WOT the car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your wisdom, TJ....I have a basic understanding of how the system works, that's why I mentioned that it may sound strange. I thought maybe someone else here may have had a similiar experience and they would chime in.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks for your wisdom, TJ....I have a basic understanding of how the system works, that's why I mentioned that it may sound strange. I thought maybe someone else here may have had a similar experience and they would chime in.
Maybe an SMG reset will help. If you're not familiar, head down a straight road between 20 and 90mph, put her in neutral, then pull both paddles towards you simultaneously for about 3-5 seconds. IIRC, this resets and re-calibrates your clutch position sensor, and smooths out shifts and in your case may fix any tranny problems you are enduring.

Give it a shot, it just might work! :wroom:

·
Registered
407 Posts
No, how could it...traction control works only if the system detects wheelspin.
Yes, however, the transfer of power being interrupted may trigger it, pretending to feel/act like wheel spin. Your tach. is affected when your wheels and clutch slip, so the sensor is probably sensitive. This is what I sense makes sense. That's my two cents. :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
93 Posts
The smell is probably from the brakes not the clutch, they are made out of similar materials. Please read up on the DSC system to understand what your car is doing when you leave TC on and WOT the car.
hold up i drive in s4 on a daily basis with the dtc on. is this bad foro the car. and also what is "WOT"

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
WOT = Wide Open Throttle. Aka full throttle, pedal to the floor, kickdown.

To the OP, as I understand it, the M5 is advanced enough to detect slippage of the clutch. I believe the car goes into limp mode when this happens.

The M5 is simply powerful enough that full throttle in second gear is very capable of wheel spin. I've had the MDM DSC kick in on me when shifting into 3rd in S5 on perfectly dry roads. It is very possible the car did intervene to counteract wheel spin. In fact, many times, I do not know the DSC is intervening without looking down and seeing the light flash. It does so very smoothly and usually early enough to where it is not greatly apparent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts