BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or do most feel they need to set a higher standard with their M’s? I have only seen one other M6 in my area ( parked at a Dentist office), so to me, I feel like it need to be sure my car is always a good example of our cars as they are not seen much here. Always washing it ( it’s black so many know what that’s like ), replaced my emblems so they don’t look faded, interior kept clean in case someone wants to see how many cows died for the full leather interior, etc...

I even go to the trouble to wash the inside of the rims, lol.

Then there’s the whole driving part...constantly wanting to push over the speed limit ‘cause it seems like everyone expects it, no slow lanes for me, and ramping up in an interstate MUST be fast !!

Maybe it’s just me. Anyone else share in my disorder? :grin:grin:grin

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was so OCD about my previous M6 that I only drove it maybe 8000 miles in 4yrs. My OCD was fear that something would go wrong with the car and after I sold it I regretted the sale and even tried to buy it back. Sold it at 49,000 miles and I still talk to the new owner who has about 75,000 miles on it now and not a single thing has gone wrong with it lol. Now I’m currently having a 5.5 L high compression stroker being built on another one and this time around I’m going to actually drive the car LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is it just me, or do most feel they need to set a higher standard with their M’s? I have only seen one other M6 in my area ( parked at a Dentist office), so to me, I feel like it need to be sure my car is always a good example of our cars as they are not seen much here. Always washing it ( it’s black so many know what that’s like ), replaced my emblems so they don’t look faded, interior kept clean in case someone wants to see how many cows died for the full leather interior, etc...

I even go to the trouble to wash the inside of the rims, lol.

Then there’s the whole driving part...constantly wanting to push over the speed limit ‘cause it seems like everyone expects it, no slow lanes for me, and ramping up in an interstate MUST be fast !!

Maybe it’s just me. Anyone else share in my disorder? :grin:grin:grin
Yes I'm pretty much the same way. Except I kind of cheat with the washes by using Griot's Speed Shine. This stuff is like magic, I get people asking me where I wash my car or how I keep it so clean all the time :smile

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11146SP-Speed-Detailer/dp/B0042KMX18?th=1

I'm in Houston where BMW's are almost as common as Hondas. During the 3 years that I've been an M6 owner, I've also only seen just a handful (maybe 4-5 total?) of E63/64 M6's in the wild. Sadly, none were as clean as mine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'm pretty much the same way. Except I kind of cheat with the washes by using Griot's Speed Shine. This stuff is like magic, I get people asking me where I wash my car or how I keep it so clean all the time :smile

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11146SP-Speed-Detailer/dp/B0042KMX18?th=1

I'm in Houston where BMW's are almost as common as Hondas. During the 3 years that I've been an M6 owner, I've also only seen just a handful (maybe 4-5 total?) of E63/64 M6's in the wild. Sadly, none were as clean as mine.
I may give that a try ! ...looks like it might kill two birds with one stone if you apply and wipe off vs. washing and then having to dry to keep the water spots off the car. Mines the only car I’ve ever had that no one eats in...and can only drink water or black coffee, lol ! But...for what it’s worth, it still looks looks like a new one with the only exceptions being the slight swirls in the clear from 11 years of washing and some little rock chips in the hood.

If it had only been a 3 pedal manual vs. the SMG It would have been the exact car I was looking for...I’m hoping one day to get up the nerve (and spare fun money) to see if I can swap it to a 3 pedal from a donor. I’ve seen a few go by on the web auto auctions for wrecked ones...prices are slowly coming down it seems

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Chance are if you are on this forum, to some extent you have OCD. Be it maintaining the mechanics or the exterior/interior.

In my opinion, being OCD about the M6 is part of my enthusiast profile.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think there are a few factors that play into it. The first being that most M cars require a decent amount of care just speaking mechanically. M cars with owners that do not pay close attention to details end up parts cars for the rest of us. So I think it self regulates to a degree there.

There's also the fact that there are not many other manufacturers where their performance line has such a strong legacy and identity. Also that are such drastic evolutions of the base chassis. When you go to buy a Mustang or Camaro you'll think about trim levels. Do you want to upgrade to the GT or SS? For M cars you don't go look at 6 series and think DO I want to upgrade to an M? You are either looking at M6s or you're looking at 6 series. It's not just an add on you tick a box for. There's a lot more pride to be had there.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I wouldn't call what you described OCD. Just proper car care.

OCD is when you use various boar brushes and toothpicks to keep interior clean every wash. Vacuum and wet wipe every weekend, double bucket wash and dry, wax every month, wash rims inside and out, sometimes take off wheels to clean the wheel arches, condition rubber seals, polish exhaust tips, wash and dress up engine bay monthly. Even if you have not driven the car since last wash!

Replace even the slightest bolt that is scuffed and plastic rivet that is broken or wrong type, etc. Use only genuine parts, maintain using old-school schedule. Now that is close to OCD, even though not quite there. Trust me, I've seen some OCD owners.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wouldn't call what you described OCD. Just proper car care.

OCD is when you use various boar brushes and toothpicks to keep interior clean every wash. Vacuum and wet wipe every weekend, double bucket wash and dry, wax every month, wash rims inside and out, sometimes take off wheels to clean the wheel arches, condition rubber seals, polish exhaust tips, wash and dress up engine bay monthly. Even if you have not driven the car since last wash!

Replace even the slightest bolt that is scuffed and plastic rivet that is broken or wrong type, etc. Use only genuine parts, maintain using old-school schedule. Now that is close to OCD, even though not quite there. Trust me, I've seen some OCD owners.

Yea...all of that in this thread. Including monthly headlight waxing (I don't want them to cloud up). And changing my exhaust because I couldn't get the tips to shine like when they were new (also an excuse to get RPI race exhaust) :). People really give a puzzled look when they find out you took the wheels off to clean them hiha

But...alias....I have to say goodbye. Selling my beloved M6, I did find a good home for her...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yea...all of that in this thread. Including monthly headlight waxing (I don't want them to cloud up)...
Hi there, M5 peasant just passing through... so you say you wax your headlights? What kind of wax do you use, and how sure are you of the efficacy of this practice? I typically gloss over (no pun intended) my headlights when applying wax, but if there are benefits to be had (and no drawbacks), maybe I should include them in my maintenance regimen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts