BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Been thinking for a while of replacing my B10 3.3 ( which I love but which I am racking up the miles in.... ). As a B5 is sadly out of my budget for the moment, I thought I'd try a 535d. What a disappointment ! It didn't feel that quick, rode very hard ( and this was an SE , not a Sport ) and the I-drive is just an accident waiting to happen. Ergonomically, it seems a big step backwards. Funniest thing of all, is that the trip computer on this 2000 mile car was showing an averge of 20 mpg ! ( I know it was a demo that gets driven hard but still... I drive my B10 hard and get 27 mpg ). All the magazines rave about this car - just wandering if any other Alpina owners had tried it? Maybe I was in a bad mood that day....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
It does take some time to get used to the E60...

I had an E36 B8 and an E31 before my current E60 530iSE - the first night I drove it home, I ended up in an absolutely foul mood - I couldn't get the hang of iDrive and the "different" ergonomics vs. the older models really annoyed me.

After a couple of weeks I was okay with it, and now I really like the E60 - so much so that I'm now looking at selling my E31 so that I can use the proceeds to subsidise the upgrade from the 535d I had ordered to the B5 I'm now getting in October.

The primary ride on the 530 is fine - rather good, actually, but the secondary ride is very rough - blame the runflats. The new Pirelli Euforias on the E90 look like being better - I shall try to get hold of some for my 530 when the current Bridgestones wear out.

As for the fuel consumption, I really couldn't say - unless it had been sitting in a traffic jam!

How did you find the straight-line performance?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It felt reasonably quick but no more than that - not as quick as the B10 3.3 ( though I know you can chip a 535d to over 300 BHP ). Maybe I just don't get along with diesels.... I am going to see if I can find a nice B10 V8 or a V8S instead - a nearly new V8s ( if you can find one ) is much the same price as a 535d and, I thought, far more special car....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought at length about a 535d, but ended up buying a 545i. Really glad I did, it goes like stink, is getting 21mpg average so far which is OK for a V8 auto and it is really great to drive. The I-drive took some getting used to (I was replacing my wifes old 528i Sport with this and I still have a B10 Touring for load-carrying).

The key to the good ride is the spec, mine has no active steering, no dynamic drive and no runflats (I have 19inch BMW rims fitted which cannot be had with run-flats). I had tested a demo car with 18s and run-flats and hated it, so much jiggling through the suspension, the 19s run much softer even though their profile is lower (275/30/19).

Oh and a bit of subtle V8 roar at full-bore beats a diesel six any day.

Just my 2p......

Guy

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
GuyGT2 said:
Oh and a bit of subtle V8 roar at full-bore beats a diesel six any day.
Now you understand why I had to cancel my 535d order to get a B5 instead! From what I gather, though, the V8 roar on the B5 isn't quite so subtle.... :haha2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts