BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from my dealer to confirm my order. He wanted to be sure I didn't want the FULL Leather because everyone else seems to be getting it.

Am I being cheap? I don't see the value in 3500 for a soft fuzzy headliner and some extra leather on the dash. I would rather get some Brembo brakes or some nice new shoes for the beast. :wroom:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I got it because I had to inorder to get indy red int. I think that I would still have ordered it for any other color than black.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The full leather includes a lot more than the dash top and alcantara headliner & side pillars. Door panels, and center console are covered, including the center arm rest. The leather and exposed stitching really make the car look much more refined and the alcantara headliner is also very classy looking. When spending this much on a car, it's a must have option IMHO. Check out the photo gallery for pix.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What sucks though is that the perforated full leather is only available in those three colors. I wanted portland brown to go with my black exterior, but if I want ventilated seats, I have to go with the Sepang.

Has anyone seen the sepang interior? Is it as yellow/gold as the order guide makes it appear? Has anyone seen it in a black car to see how it looks?

Paul

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm not. The Extended Leather will do me just fine. I'll put the savings into some aftermarket performance items instead. When does it become real money for you guys....$3000., $4000., $5000.?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I am not either. I can appreciate the more unique look of the full leather, but don't think it is worth $3,500. In addition, I would rather have the kids kicking plastic on the back of the front seats instead of scuffing $3,500 leather.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm not either. Although I understand the logic of "if you're spending this much, what's a few thousand more," even at MSRP, this car is still making a dent in my savings and every grand counts. Also, since I'm partial to black on black (black interior on black saphire), the difference is less noticable than with some of the two toned combinations. Finally, my 4 week baby has begun a habit of vomiting up her meals daily, so I figure the less leather the better :hihi:

Week 37, still status 112, but checking every day.

-David

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
daviddavidw said:
Although I understand the logic of "if you're spending this much, what's a few thousand more,"
While not a great reason, this was basically my rationale. However, I did want virtually everything on the option list, but when it came down to "comfort access," it really did boil down to a final WTF.

Tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
AbruzziBoy said:
Sidebar: Oh, and yes, I agree. The two tone look of the door panels with the Extended Leather looks sriking.
I agree. The standard 'extended' leather makes the whole two tone appearance look great!
I ordered full leather cause I got black (so the two-tone look didnt really matter) plus, I always thought the E60 interior is very plasticy looking, in camparison to the E39 M5... so I thought full leather/alcantara liner would finish it off nicely.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not me. I'm pretty happy with the standard interior and plastics are just lower maintainence.

I do wish I could just get the Alcantara headliner, though. Canadian E39 M5s never got it and I always wished we did.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Although the Alcantara headliner is std. on the E55 I wish it had a full leather type offering. I would have been in the "what's a few more grand camp"!! It struck me how nice this was when I test drove an SL65

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Had extended in the E39 M5 but have ordered it in my E60.
It all depends on what "look" you want inside and what color combo you have. Certain color/trim combos almost require the additional colored leather in places where it would normally look black like uder the vents, dash, along the sides of the console etc
my5c

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I'm not - it's expensive and I don't like the look, especially on the doors. I ordered the Alcantara headliner separately.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here in Australia we have no choice all our cars come standard with full leather, it really does look beautiful and feels very nice to touch, adds that true bit of class.

When I first saw the E60 5 series cars here I thought they had cheapened the plastic materials, didn't even look as good as my E46 M3 and I thought 5 series should look better. Needless to say I was very happy to find out my M5 didn't look like other 5 series.

IMO it is worth the extra, even though we had no choice.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I considered the full leather when i was ordering the silverstone leather but remvoed it when i went to an all black interior.

My daughter likes to kick the back of my seat so im sure full leather would get scuffed up

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Gustav said:
Look how nice and exclusive it looks with leather everywhere
I agree that it looks fantastic, but I cannot get past the fact that for my MY2000 E39 M5, the Alcantara headliner and full leather (the only year for real leather dashboard and door panels) package was a NO COST option.

I'll either be going with Sepang or Interlagos (Mr. Hyde and Dr. Jekyll, I know) with a black interior, so I'm opting against full leather. Just ain't worth the $3500 in my book.

-Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
No. Though I'm sure Full Leather will look nice. I couldn't see the value in it personally, especially with Black interior. I will worry enough about trucks on the road kicking up rocks and parking away from everything to avoid door dings. Adding concerns over what chemicals are used by different car washes to wipe down the dash and trying to protect it from the sun is not worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the M5 get a black leather top to the dashboard, even with only the extended leather package?

One other reason why people are going for full leather seems to be the claim by BMW that the Active Ventilation option (with perforated leather) is only available when ordered with full leather. Utter rubbish. My Alpina is being trimmed in the first instance by Individual, before being sent down to Buchloe for additional trimming - I'm getting Extended Individual Perforated Caramel Merino Leather with black Alcantara roof-lining (which they threw in for free with the Individual package!) I'm also getting the comfort seats, but with the Active Seat Backs - all in all a pretty unusual combination...

If any of you guys are ordering Individual cars and are sold the line about Ventilated seats not being possible without ordering full leather, don't give up too easily. If you're ordering a standard car, though (which I guess our US pals must do for now), it might not be possible to get them to give way on this one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts