BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always assumed that pierberg was the OE pump for our cars just because people chose either Walbro or Pierberg.

Yet, I came across this.
A delphi fuel pump that looks quite the same as genuine BMW. At HALF the cost.

Bicycle part Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system
Delphi (on rockauto)
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Toy Machine
Genuine BMW on Turner

Am I missing something? Why wasn't delphi a popular choice?

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Am I missing something? Why wasn't delphi a popular choice?
Definitely not OEM, Dephi is an after company. When their stuff first hit the market it was crud and they got a bad rep. That was years ago and their stuff is better. Bad reps don't die but they do fade, well until they get mentioned again LMAO. I would image the claims about being OE are really because they were bought by BorgWarner and I think they own many other companies, likely one of them was the real OE. Since BW owns them all that transfers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I put a Delphi in my car 2 years ago. No issues at all, runs like a champ (now I jinxed it lol).

Just make sure that the clamp for corrugated feed line that connects the pump to the sender is nice and tight. I had a long cranking issue on my car because I didn't tighten the clamps enough and fuel was leaking back in to the tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I just ordered the pierburg insert from FCP.
This winter maintenance is becoming EXPENSIVEEE. 😤 😤

·
Registered
371 Posts
I purchased the Delphi part. I don't think that Delphi actually makes anything. Many of these aftermarket companies actually buy original parts and put them together. For example, the plastic housing and filter on the delphi unit look exactly like the original. Same color, same mold marks. This would be a very low volume product for Delphi and I doubt that they will make all new plastic casting molds. My guess is that the plastic parts in the Dephi unit are made by the OE manufacturer, whoever that is. As for the pump itself, the Delphi unit comes with a TI Automotive pump. I looked that up and TI is actually Walbro, a well respected name in fuel pumps. Further, if you look at the Pierburg pump sold on FCP: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-fuel-pump-insert-pierburg-7-22013-61-0 , look at the first and 2nd picture, and you will see that it has TI Automotive written on that pump. This is exactly the text you will see on the pump installed in the Delphi unit, so I think it is the same pump. Kei, please let us know if the pump you receive from FCP will look like their picture and will actually say "TI Automotive" on it. If it does then it is exactly like the pump in the delphi unit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased the Delphi part. I don't think that Delphi actually makes anything. Many of these aftermarket companies actually buy original parts and put them together. For example, the plastic housing and filter on the delphi unit look exactly like the original. Same color, same mold marks. This would be a very low volume product for Delphi and I doubt that they will make all new plastic casting molds. My guess is that the plastic parts in the Dephi unit are made by the OE manufacturer, whoever that is. As for the pump itself, the Delphi unit comes with a TI Automotive pump. I looked that up and TI is actually Walbro, a well respected name in fuel pumps. Further, if you look at the Pierburg pump sold on FCP: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-fuel-pump-insert-pierburg-7-22013-61-0 , look at the first and 2nd picture, and you will see that it has TI Automotive written on that pump. This is exactly the text you will see on the pump installed in the Delphi unit, so I think it is the same pump. Kei, please let us know if the pump you receive from FCP will look like their picture and will actually say "TI Automotive" on it. If it does then it is exactly like the pump in the delphi unit.
Hey Boris thanks for the info. Thats actually quite good info. I'll be replacing the whole hossing assembly for ~40 in addition to the pierberg insert.
If you don't mind sharing, could you tell me when you purchased the pump?

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gabe. I purchased my Delphi pump from Rockauto about 5-6 months ago. While it is not necessary to replace the housing assembly, I figured that given the age of the car and my intention on keeping it for a while that I might as well replace the whole housing along with the pump.
I doubt that BMW actually makes any components for the pump. They probably buy the housing from one manufacturer, the pump from Pierburg and then just put them together and put it into a BMW box. From what I can tell, Dephi does exactly the same thing. However, I am curious if anyone can confirm if a Pierburg pump actually says "TI Automotive" on it. If yes, then it is the same pump as Delphi. Also, remember that Delphi is a GM OE supplier, so not just some 3rd rate aftermarket company.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gabe. I purchased my Delphi pump from Rockauto about 5-6 months ago. While it is not necessary to replace the housing assembly, I figured that given the age of the car and my intention on keeping it for a while that I might as well replace the whole housing along with the pump.
I doubt that BMW actually makes any components for the pump. They probably buy the housing from one manufacturer, the pump from Pierburg and then just put them together and put it into a BMW box. From what I can tell, Dephi does exactly the same thing. However, I am curious if anyone can confirm if a Pierburg pump actually says "TI Automotive" on it. If yes, then it is the same pump as Delphi. Also, remember that Delphi is a GM OE supplier, so not just some 3rd rate aftermarket company.
Boris,

I think I can answer your question btw. Texas Instruments bought Pierburg, so yeah TI = Pierburg = Walbro.
Delphi was originally part of GM, iirc, so makes sense.
Delphi does make some reliable sensors in some applications, but wasn't sure about the pump as they are not know for pumps.
Your comment made me believe that Delphi didn't cheap out on the pumps and simply combines Pierburg pump and other OE sources and sells the assembly.

Will report back when I get the part. If the pump doesn't indicate TI automotive, I'll just return it and buy the pierburg insert.

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just to be clear, TI Automotive has nothing to do with Texas Instruments (lol). Completely different industries. TI Automotive owns Walbro, so all Walbro pumps are technically made by TI. Also, Pierburg is owned by Rheinmetall Automotive, not TI. I agree that Delphi is probably just buying all of the components from outside companies and assembling them to sell as service parts. Don't see too many BMW parts from them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to be clear, TI Automotive has nothing to do with Texas Instruments (lol). Completely different industries. TI Automotive owns Walbro, so all Walbro pumps are technically made by TI. Also, Pierburg is owned by Rheinmetall Automotive, not TI. I agree that Delphi is probably just buying all of the components from outside companies and assembling them to sell as service parts. Don't see too many BMW parts from them.
Wow. I was shouting out some very wrong info 🤣 nothing I said up there is correct.
I swear I saw news articles saying chip maker acquires automotive fuel pump blah blah, but I guess they were mistaken as well.

Thanks for the info ;)
Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just received the pump yesterday.
Delphi seems to have changed it within the few months.
Received the assembly with some generic chinese-made pump that didn't even have the same connector + some pig tail.
Decided to return it and buy the insert from pierburg.

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just received the pump yesterday.
Delphi seems to have changed it within the few months.
Received the assembly with some generic chinese-made pump that didn't even have the same connector + some pig tail.
Decided to return it and buy the insert from pierburg.

Cheers,
Gabe
Returing it was propably the right call. Removing the old pump from the housing isn't difficult.

Reactions: kei2927

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Returing it was propably the right call. Removing the old pump from the housing isn't difficult.
Only if they would accept the return.
I mean who would use a freakin' pig tail dipped in gallons of fuel. That's just a huge accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay some update.
I just received Pierburg insert in mail. Immediately noticed a huge difference in weight.
Since I didn't ship the pump back to RockAuto, I decided to do some science before I shipped it out and here is the results.
Light Wood Clock Font Gas
Light Automotive tire Font Aircraft Aerospace manufacturer

Assuming that housing and the hose weighs about 100 grams or so...
Wheres my 200g worth of fuel pump Mr. Spectra so called Premium?
The pierburg pump was physically larger in dimension as well, which was odd. I think this p/n is correct though. 7.22013.61.0.

Rockauto customer service told me that its probably delphi changing the supplier on their side, but I call bs. It's probably some douche changing a genuine delphi pump with some bs chinese crap.
Anyways, if anyone buys the delphi pump. Make sure you have an actual "Delphi" pump.

Cheers,
Gabe

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's probably some douche changing a genuine delphi pump with some bs chinese crap.
When I replaced the trunk and hood struts for my car early last year. I ordered Sachs from Rockauto. Trunks struts were good. But one of the hood struts was a used one in brand new packaging! I know for a fact some d-bag replaced his then BS'd the new one was "bad" to get his money back. Of course whoever at Rockauto returns clearly did pay attention to squat when it was returned. Luckily they overnighted me a legit new one when I called them to yell.

I guarantee someone did that to the pump you got...people suck lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts