BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Like many posters before me, I'm selling my 3.0 E39 and intend to upgrade to an M5 (facelilifted). Most of the cars i'm coming across are out of warranty and with highish miles, around 80k-100k.

Whilst aftermarket warranties are available for cars under 100k, it would be very useful to know the potential pitfalls or issues i should either expect or at least budget for before buying the car.

I'd value your comments on:
1. potential problems with high mileage M5s
2. What to look out for on the service history i.e. what should have been done
3. things to look out for when viewing

Much appreciated

·
Registered
752 Posts
i have a 2000 m5 with about 100k mile on it.. bought it when it had about 70k..

All i did was inspect it at a local shop on a lift with a few friends and drive it.

My oly problems so far was, new clutch, mafs, rear sway bar brackets and thats it.. well now i need new cam sensors... no problems though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just hit 177,000 on my beast. Honestly, I replaced the shocks because I wanted a tighter feel like my M3 has. I have done sways and the zionsville radiator as performance upgrades, prevenative maintenance. So far no problems, I also change my oil every 5k and I change my diff and manual transmission fluid twice a year. Call me crazy, but I still have original clutch and tranny and everything else, aside from a few upgrades I wanted.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My car just rolled over 80k and it has been more solid than when I bought it. As long as you can get the service history of the car and everything looks up to snuff, I don't see a problem with a high mileage car.

As far as things to look out for, just make sure the car isn't beat up or feels less than solid and get a PPI.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It is recommended every 30-60k miles. I do mine twice a year using redline. This is what turnermotorsport uses on their racing cars, so it has worked quite well for me. I'll be able to go another couple hundred thousand miles and still have the original parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At that mileage other than the servicing requirements, are there any components or parts which should be replaced?

I guess it just normal things then !

Trying to decipher if there's anything specific which should be asked of the seller.

Thanks again.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
BMW DOES NOT recommend changing transmission or differential fluids. Most do it however. Mileage varies depending on your concern level.

·
Registered
691 Posts
BMW DOES NOT recommend changing transmission or differential fluids. Most do it however. Mileage varies depending on your concern level.
The curious thing is that BMW used to recommend a service interval on the diff . . . but that was before "free" maintenance. Now that it's on their dime, it's a lifetime fluid . . . The bigger question is to have them define lifetime. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
BMW say the transmission and dif fluids are fill for life but what a load of tosh, how can they expect metal to grind together through cogs and not drop any filings, These will be moved around with the oil,causing wear. This will surely happen over time as oil breaks down through heat and has a limited life! As Farrel says fill for life is more for the first owner keeping it for a limited time!

Just my tuppence

·
Registered
371 Posts
+1 Changed mine with Redline at 50k and will do so again at 100k. This topic has been covered on this board and in the Tech Section of the Roundel magazine (the BMWCCA publication)

·
Registered
657 Posts
BMW started saying life time free when they started paying for everything. Since I am getting close to approaching the 200,000 mark on my beast, one I am way out of warranty and 2) i doubt they would do anything if my manual or diff went on me based on a lifetime fluid, I hate to be honest but nothing is "lifetime" thats crap! I would like a lifetime warranty on those items then, which I have yet to see. But when the time comes and hopefully it doesn't I'll approach BMW and say well i have 200,000 miles where's my new diff. Lol. But our machines are precise and the more precise a a machine is the tighter the tolerances, the tighter the tolerances the more maintenance is required, but for the 30.00 it costs for the redline fluid thats a cheap sure way to keep my beast running at its best. Do you honestly believe they dont change the diff or manual fluids in their f1 racing cars or even the m3gtrs? I bet they do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is recommended every 30-60k miles. I do mine twice a year using redline. This is what turnermotorsport uses on their racing cars, so it has worked quite well for me. I'll be able to go another couple hundred thousand miles and still have the original parts.
I'm not sure about benefits of doing them twice a year but I know that I religiously change all the fluids (brake, trans, cool, diff, and pwr steer) once a year on all of my cars. Just good preventative maintenance and relatively "cheap" insurance. Never had any trouble.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm not sure about benefits of doing them twice a year but I know that I religiously change all the fluids (brake, trans, cool, diff, and pwr steer) once a year on all of my cars. Just good preventative maintenance and relatively "cheap" insurance. Never had any trouble.
Gonna do all the above before the year is out. New goal with the MAF replacement.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi golfather,

I spent a long time researching mine.

my advice would be - if you find a contender, look at the history and check what extra warranty work has been carried out by bmw - early cars needed new vanos i believe. Ask the owner - if it goes its costs a fortune.

it must have had the <1500 mile initial service to change all the running fluids including the diff oils.

I still got it wrong though - when you test drive it, it should pull like a train in any gear without hesitation at any point to the limiter - if there is any hesitation this could be the MAFS - that'sa costly job too unless warrantied.

othere than that, enjoy!

TrickyTrev

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Trev, useful advice mate.
Was the vanos issues resolved on 2000 or 2001 onwards?Any particular build year to avoid?

Cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
A well taken car of BMW will last you a very long time. We work on BMW's at my shop and service quite a few that are at that 275 to 300K mark. We have found more problems on garage queens, than on the ones that have been driven. Same goes for VW. These cars ( with regular maintance) will last you a very long time. And with the wealth of knowledge on this board, I am sure you will find all the answers you need. As far as a model year to stay away from, I don't think there really is one. I have an 00, that was a garage queen. After much TLC and additional $5000 over the last year, I have gotten her back to I believe peak performance. She had an adverage of 5,700 MPY on her when I got it. So see, even low mileage vehicle can cost you more headache than you may realize.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
i have a 2000 m5 with about 100k mile on it.. bought it when it had about 70k..

All i did was inspect it at a local shop on a lift with a few friends and drive it.

My oly problems so far was, new clutch, mafs, rear sway bar brackets and thats it.. well now i need new cam sensors... no problems though.
Are most of these items DIY replaceable?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts