BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some pixels going out on my instrument cluster and plan to replace it with a new one. I remember having to do this on my 2001 M5 after it was out of warranty and BMW USA only charge me 1 hour of labor to R&R the instrument cluster. Just wanted to know if anyone has had it done recently and what the new policy is?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
extremely hit or miss by this point, the cars at best are 7 years old, and 10 at most. never hurts to try though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was in contact with BMW NA and they were willing to give me that deal on my 2001. I live in Canada though and they only way they could do this is I went to a dealership in the states. The closest one is 1500 km away. I might just remove the cluster and send it in to someone once I have more pixels missing.
You can try and contact BMW NA and see what they have to say. If you like I can send you a PM with the person I talked to and my initial e-mail I send.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
extremely hit or miss by this point, the cars at best are 7 years old, and 10 at most. never hurts to try though.
Agreed.

BMW is aware of the design defect, and somehow figures it is cheaper to charge 1 hour for the 30 minute job and eat the cost of the instrument cluster than going back to the company that designed and manufactured it to have them fix it right. Go figure......:dunno:

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
226 Posts
How about a followup question to this fix... once the cluster is replaced, do the pixels still go out after a while again or is it a new design that will last?

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
How about a followup question to this fix... once the cluster is replaced, do the pixels still go out after a while again or is it a new design that will last?
AFAIK, old design. How long pixels last is hit or miss. There is a VDO repair shop who claims to fix the underlying problem for about $300.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Curious question from a newbie - If I am reading this correctly, I can approach the local dealer stating I have dead pixels ( I have a lot! ) and ask if they would be willing to replace it for the cost of labor to install? Would the replacement cluster have my actual mileage or would it be at zero and get one of those certified stickers in the door jamb>?

I find it hard to believe they would "help me out" on a 10 year old car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They will put the odometer reading exactly where it was when they remove the original unit.

Reactions: technician117

·
Registered
991 Posts
They won't help you out. They'll offer you 50% of the parts cost plus whatever labor it is to swap the units. Ask me how I know.

That's why I went the $30 route and bought a replacement ribbon and did it myself. Wasn't rocket science, fairly easy. Set aside a good 3-4 hrs. It isn't much if you find messing with stuff relaxing like I do.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
They won't help you out. They'll offer you 50% of the parts cost plus whatever labor it is to swap the units. Ask me how I know.

That's why I went the $30 route and bought a replacement ribbon and did it myself. Wasn't rocket science, fairly easy. Set aside a good 3-4 hrs. It isn't much if you find messing with stuff relaxing like I do.
If you don't have the patience, or the skills to DIY, check this out:

BMW, Porsche, Land Rover Instrument Cluster Repair and restoration of MID & LCD repair for the typical missing or faded pixel problem

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
769 Posts
Just had mine replaced. Part was covered 100% by BMWUSA. I paid 2 hours labor. I think labor $$$ was a too high. Parts and labor is warrantied for 2 years.

(I called BMW USA in NJ and spoke to Customer Rep (Sean) 3 years ago but I never took action until last month and they still covered the part. )

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
How did you approach the dealer? Just blunting stating: I am having a problem with my instrument cluster, there are pixels out. I have heard these can still be replaced for goodwill by BMW, will you help me?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You got 100% paid? Wow. Can you provide the contact info at BMWNA?
I didn't have to engage BMWNA myself. All I did was bring to the dealer with whom I had a service relationship since the vehicle was new, report the problem, and as Tim (above) said, request they seek a good-will repair from BMW. The dealership did contact BMWNA who did agree to a good-will replacement. I suspect it may have helped being an original owner, and the labor was gratis due to the good relationship I had with the shop.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Can you please elaborate on where you got the ribbon and how you changed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts