BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the B4's be the closest to a stock ride that Bilstein has to offer? Just wondering as I'm being very indecisive about what to replace my PSS9's with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool. Where would I find B4's for the M5? everyone lists them as just for the regular 5 series and I'm not sure if they would properly fit the M5 if the websites don't list my car for that shock.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have about 60k on my b4s and couldn't be happier. I had to call Bilstien to get the part numbers as I could not find them on any of the charts either.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It is interesting the Bilstein site doesn't specify M sport for say the 540. It seems the same part number for the E39 sedan 540i. I know realoem displays different part numbers for m sport shocks vs non. Subscribed for any new information.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I contacted Bilstein and they said that they don't make B4's for the M5 and only have B8's. Would the B4's associated with the 540i work with stock OEM M5 springs?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want a stock like ride quality and the OEM shocks and struts I hear degrade at a fast rate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm in the same boat as I want a firm but comfortable, stock-like ride, but will go with B6s when the time comes. From research, they seem to best mimic stock shocks and the price is right. They don't list them for the M5 but M5 owners have installed 540i B6 shocks without issues.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Similar to stock, from what I have read

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have B8 and it feels like stock, maybe a tad firmer, but with less roll and better control. Maybe it feels this way because my old shocks were bad.

Overall its hard to perceive the difference because if we are comparing new oem vs new B8, they might feel exactly the same.

·
Registered
227 Posts
How are the ride heights with B8s pairing with stock springs ? It had been discussed many times here that Bilstein B8s with stock springs raise the ride heights over the stock ride heights.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm not convinced people measuring an increase in ride height are comparing apples to apples. They're probably comparing the ride height of the old shocks to the new B8.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok, so I just put brand new B4s on my new 2000 M5. Yes they fit despite Bilstein not officially listing the M5 as an application for them BUT, with the stock springs they do raise the ride height by a full inch! I think this is also a case with the B6s and B8s too due to the spring perch position. This isn't a huge deal for me but it might be for some people, so that's the caveat. As far as ride, the care came with blown Konis up front and blown stock Sachs in the rear, so I can't really say for sure but my guess is that they are pretty similar to stock in terms of damping. If I ever do it again I'd probably search for new springs that fit properly with B6s, but I've not yet seen anything like that in my research. See ride height measurements and pics here for those interested:
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/516465-bilstein-b8-ride-height-spring-info-8.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
In theory the Bilstein B8 should not raise the ride height of the car because it is a shorter shock(Looks like the shaft is shorter from pictures). Here is the verbiage from the website.

"BILSTEIN B8 gas-pressure shock absorbers offer the perfect performance enhancement to go with the sporty look of lowering suspension kits. The specially shortened high-performance shocks[/I] guarantee the required spring tension for lowering springs and therefore support the sporting and dynamic driving experience."

·
Registered
353 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts