BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I have been offered one and having read through um-teen posts about these, I am little concerned that it might cause me issues maf and fueling wise, being the only engine mod.

Having looked at the new price, I really can't get my head around why it costs 795ukp... when the grill is only 295ukp ... so 500ukp for a few pipes and two filters... profiteering at its best... hmmm

Is it even worth considering even at far less than "new" price?

All help greatfully received...
-Steve

·
10,458 Posts
Sure, i think it would work fine. I do agree that the cost is a little high for what it is. You could probably make one yourself for 1/4 the cost. If you can pick up a used one cheap, go for it!
If you stick with the bmw paper filters, should have no issues with the MAFS.
Mike

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Agreed,

They look sweet. They also offer brake cooling for the spirited runs.

Its funny, the 540 brake ducts are open, yet they close the M5's. Go figure. market research said wifes drive M5's and don't get the brakes warm enough.

We are the minority.

The price tag is worth it on looks and opening the ducts alone. The AA CAI looks almost OEM.

But gives the beast an aggressive look.

I often catch people doing a double take at the AA CAI.

I just run the stock filters as well. Zero problems with Mafs etc.

MJ

·
Registered
977 Posts
I admit I have not done any searches, but is the reason there are MAF issues with the AA CAI is because of oil from the K&N filters getting onto the MAFs? I know this is common issue with K&N and MAFs in other models from my readings.

I really like the look of the AA and am willing to spend the cash, but only if I'll have no issues.

Has anyone ever done their own dyno testing to see if the AA CAI alone really gets the claims they state?

MIB said:
Agreed,

They look sweet. They also offer brake cooling for the spirited runs.

Its funny, the 540 brake ducts are open, yet they close the M5's. Go figure. market research said wifes drive M5's and don't get the brakes warm enough.

We are the minority.

The price tag is worth it on looks and opening the ducts alone. The AA CAI looks almost OEM.

But gives the beast an aggressive look.

I often catch people doing a double take at the AA CAI.

I just run the stock filters as well. Zero problems with Mafs etc.

MJ

·
Registered
355 Posts
If it is so easy, reliable and (relatively) cheap to get an extra 20 horses and 35lbft of torque, don't we think BMW would have done it themselves.......

JMHO of course.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Rampage said:
Basically I have been offered one and having read through um-teen posts about these, I am little concerned that it might cause me issues maf and fueling wise, being the only engine mod.

Having looked at the new price, I really can't get my head around why it costs 795ukp... when the grill is only 295ukp ... so 500ukp for a few pipes and two filters... profiteering at its best... hmmm

Is it even worth considering even at far less than "new" price?

All help greatfully received...
-Steve
If the one youre looking at is MCouling's, i drove his car with this AA kit on it and it made a huge difference - i think this was the only mod to the engine he had done, so v impressed! Jumping back in my beast and it felt slower!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks to one and all... have taken the plunge... looking forward to getting it fitted...

Foxy, you could give Miss Marple a run for the money :1:

Cheers
-Steve

·
10,458 Posts
rogbacon said:
If it is so easy, reliable and (relatively) cheap to get an extra 20 horses and 35lbft of torque, don't we think BMW would have done it themselves.......

JMHO of course.
Well, I don't completely buy that it's worth 20 hp, but i do think bmw had a 400hp goal and once they met that they didn't push for any more. Just look at the exhaust manifolds. Using the 540 exhaust manifolds certainly may have saved bmw some money, but i'm sure the M engineers realized that they were leaving some 25 - 30 hp on the table. In 1998, i suppose they felt they didn't need 435 advertised hp, 400 was enough!

Look at the e60, do you think 507hp (din) is coincidental? No, that just happens to equal 500hp (sae), they wanted to be able to say 500 hp, there is some marketing involved...
Mike

·
Registered
947 Posts
Rampage said:
Foxy, you could give Miss Marple a run for the money :1:
give her what for money? :hihi:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
HDClown said:
but is the reason there are MAF issues with the AA CAI is because of oil from the K&N filters getting onto the MAFs?

I really like the look of the AA and am willing to spend the cash, but only if I'll have no issues.

Has anyone ever done their own dyno testing to see if the AA CAI alone really gets the claims they state?
Hey HDC,

Yes, its the K & N's. There are no other issues with the Aa CAI, its a K & N Thing.

The Storey is, as you cannot simiulate Ram flow on a dyno, you cannot meaure the full effect.

But really the effect only starts to happen above tripple digits.

So If they claim 20 HP, to see 20 HP you most likely have to be going at 180 MPH.

So don't place to much emphasis on 20 HP. Its still a great Mod.

MJ

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
just to add, the power readings that AA claim for the CAI for E39 M5, weren't done on an E39 M5!! but on a Mustang, hence can't really compare apples n oranges..

BTW : I've got the setup mated up to the GruppeM's and been happy with the results. The oem air flow design is very restrictive, and the air is taken just under the headlights, very close to the radiator etc..

MIB right on da ball with the brake cooling though! defo worth it just on its own! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Tin said:
just to add, the power readings that AA claim for the CAI for E39 M5, weren't done on an E39 M5!! but on a Mustang, hence can't really compare apples n oranges..

BTW : I've got the setup mated up to the GruppeM's and been happy with the results. The oem air flow design is very restrictive, and the air is taken just under the headlights, very close to the radiator etc..

MIB right on da ball with the brake cooling though! defo worth it just on its own! :M5thumbs:
Tin I am not doubting you but, I think if you go to AA's website they have a dyno sheet that is labled as a M5, and if you are right this is some deceptive advertising, Josh

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
bmwusa said:
Tin I am not doubting you but, I think if you go to AA's website they have a dyno sheet that is labled as a M5, and if you are right this is some deceptive advertising, Josh
oops.. my mistake.. says mustang chassis dyno.... mistook that to mean the mustang car.. apologises.. :crying2: wonder how big the fans for the dyno are?

full link on aacai

must learn to read properly :p

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm a sucker for looks and I really like the way the AA CAI changes the front of the car, and sinec the issue is with the K&N's, the AA CAI will probably be my first mod after I do some brake work. Thanks for the clarifications. Maybe the GruppeM will come next.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am currently having a few issues with smooth acceleration, feels like its got a flat spot... probably MAF related, to that end I contacted BMW and was given a vague well if you fit the CAI we might not be able to replace them under warranty as its not standard and so cannot prove whats at fault???

Bit concerned after shelling out the £970 for a years warranty that BMW will start to blame any engine issue I may get on the CAI???

Any experiences...

-Steve

·
Registered
977 Posts
I could see them blaming the CAI and getting away with it. So before you take the car into the dealer, remove the CAI. I have never seen install directions, but it doesn't look like they are that difficult from the parts, so it would be worth removing them so the dealer can't go saying your CAI's are at fault if they don't even know you had the CAI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts