BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an annoying issue, there is about a 5 degree dead spot when I steer. I am used to my M3, or my wife's X5 which have a fairly heavy steering feel. Is this normal or do I need to replace/align something.

I know this is vague, but I plan on having the upper/lower control arms replaced and have it re-aligned. Anthing else I should be on the look out for?

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Definitely not normal. Assuming that the center track rod and both tie rods are new then this sounds like a steering box issue.

Reactions: Kmac

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the steering should be have a decent weight to it and be sharp. In other words, like a BMW.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
So the steering should be have a decent weight to it and be sharp. In other words, like a BMW.
Mine sure is. It feels great.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok - I know that the tie rods (center, left and right) have never been replaced, so I assume that is where I will start.

There is something funny on the parts list though, the steering angle sensor part number was superceeded in March of 2007. Sounds a bit dodgy, unless there is another reason some one knows about?

·
Registered
27 Posts
might want to look into your ball joints as well. I had a similar problem with my old car and it turned out to be lower control arm bushings, the ball joint.

I used to get a feeling like the car would stop turning almost as if the car was on ice. Get it fixed asap!!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Not having a dead spot is one of the defining characterisitics that BMW has over most others especially of the domestic kind.....

Get your front end lifted, and see if you can shake/wobble either of the front wheels. If so you know ball joints and or more are needing replacement.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the checklist includes:

Left and right tie rods
Lower control arms
Center track rod
Alignment

NP - was getting a set of monoballs for the lower control rod anyway, this just gives me an excuse to do it now.

Will jack up the car and check the ties later today.

TY all - will get back with result

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
So the checklist includes:

Left and right tie rods
Lower control arms
Center track rod
Alignment

NP - was getting a set of monoballs for the lower control rod anyway, this just gives me an excuse to do it now.

Will jack up the car and check the ties later today.

TY all - will get back with result

Don't forget wheel bearings -- they are the second thing in the TIS to check when the complaint is "poor straight ahead tracking" (closest I could find related to your complaint).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a slight pull to the right under braking, so the alignment definitely needs to be adjusted. So, that will now be first and I will get realigned when the new balls come, which is great bc my wife has the old set.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
I have a slight pull to the right under braking, so the alignment definitely needs to be adjusted.
If the car only pulls under braking, it is generally a brake issue, not an alignment issue. If the car drifts to the right and gets worse under braking, then most likely alignment, although you could have a slightly sticky caliper.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would those be the brass ones? :hihi:
Nope - those were taken by the first wife in the settlement. These would be the iron ones.:cheers:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also a new development today, slight shudder under acceleration. The front end is beginning to worry me :eek:oohhh: - ah but what the heck, investment makes the heart grow fonder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts