BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard from some mechanics that do BMW tech work that 2002 and esp 2003 M5 models suffer fewer issues with engine issues...that being oil burning, vanos, cooling, steering, and various other issues etc. One mechanic said 2000-2001 year have been the biggest guests in the shops they work in compared to 2002-2003 models. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
Bs. The only vanos that's different are the 2000 models, whee 01 had updated vanos.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
I had 180,000 on my 2000 m5, with updated VANOS and original rod bearings. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A lot of MY 2000s had the VANOS replaced under warranty. Mine was just such a case and I haven't had any problems. Do your research and you'll get a better handle on the situation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agreed service records show both vanos on my MY2000 was replaced under warranty.

My motor runs smoother and quieter than my friends 02 and 03. It has more to do with how the motor was treated during its life.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
do you mean you updated the vanos or it was a factory update? i ask as mine is 09/99 build so im curious. thanks!
Factory update.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I need to call a dealer and provide my VIN to them to see if my MY2000 was ever updated. No issues so far but only 65k miles.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I need to call a dealer and provide my VIN to them to see if my MY2000 was ever updated. No issues so far but only 65k miles.
You could look under the hood and confirm which VANOS accumulator you have.

The VANOS change, iirc, was mid-2000 production. Also the piston ring design was changed during the later part of the 2000 production.

There are no mechanical differences between '01, '02 &'03.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it is safe to say that generally 2002 and 03 cars also have less mileage than 2001 cars. Somehow it seems that 02 and 03 cars change owners much less frequently than 99-01 cars. This is my observation solely by following the Spanish M5 second hand market.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Mechanical difference happened on post 9/01 cars, the internal diaphragm spring plates were revised to thicker items with a thinner backing washer.

Only other mech differences happened very early on in the production run using 5 screws on the outer square solenoid covers as opposed to a single centre one, in order to hold the solenoids more securely

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Almost...

According to Esa in this post:

Few words about VANOS. I would say following list includes the main VANOS updates for S62:

VANOS covers
--------------
Cars with factory dates 10/1999 or earlier have old style covers without those solenoid pretensioner bolts. 11/1999 or later have the covers with solenoid pretensioner bolts.

Accumulator
------------
Cars with factory dates 8/2000 or earlier need the wiring + mechanical parts + DME programming.

Facelifts with factory dates between 9/2000 - 11/2000 have the DME programming and wiring already installed but still have the old style accumulator without electric shut-off valve. On these cars the installation procedure is rather "bolt-on" of the mechanical parts.

Facelifts with factory dates 12/2000 and later have the latest "VANOS accumulator configuration" including updated accumulator with electric shut-off valve.

Diaphragm Spring Plates
-----------------------
Facelifts 9/2001 and later have the thicker diaphragm spring plates behind the helical gears from the factory. I think this is the most important "anti-rattle" update especially during normal car operation after start-up. Accumulator mainly tones down the start-up rattle. Original cam sprocket bolts were 8.8-rated. I don't know if the 10.9-rated bolts were included from the factory.

-Esa

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
OP needs to define "Vanos Issues". I see that as the car running poorly and posting error codes. Besides the CPS's the biggest contributor to that that I have seen is bad solenoid boards. The only change I'm aware BMW made that would affect that was the addition of the four grub screws in the covers which reduce the vibration the solenoid is subjected to. The other changes such as accumulator and diaphram springs seem more oriented at Vanos noise, which does not appreciably affect function. My car which is 9/99 build, didn't have the grub screws (does now) and suffered multiple failures on both solenoid boards after 105k miles. Those are repaired and other than sounding like a Peterbuilt at idle, it pulls like a Peterbuilt when the throttle is mashed. Burns oil too.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Almost...

According to Esa in this post:
Not almost, but exactly.

Precisely what i said about the mechanical differences are quoted. Post 09/01 have mech differences in the vanos units themselves i.e spring plates and backing washers. Covers differ early on as said also, pre 2000 models.

Accumulators differ, but they are ancilliary to the vanos units themselves, not directly related to, which is why i didn;t cover them. They are there soley for the purpose of providing pressure on start up by holding pressure on shut down. They do not contribute in any way to noise or function beyond the first 2 seconds of turning the car over.

I've had the units apart and updated them, they are very very simple cast units with only a couple of moving parts in the mechanical sense.

Who do you think Esa spoke to?

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Not almost, but exactly.

Precisely what i said about the mechanical differences are quoted. Post 09/01 have mech differences in the vanos units themselves i.e spring plates and backing washers. Covers differ early on as said also, pre 2000 models.

Accumulators differ, but they are ancilliary to the vanos units themselves, not directly related to, which is why i didn;t cover them. They are there soley for the purpose of providing pressure on start up by holding pressure on shut down. They do not contribute in any way to noise or function beyond the first 2 seconds of turning the car over.

I've had the units apart and updated them, they are very very simple cast units with only a couple of moving parts in the mechanical sense.

Who do you think Esa spoke to?
Whoops, sorry, didn't read your post close enough!

Cheers,
Chuck

·
Registered
273 Posts
Heard from some mechanics that do BMW tech work that 2002 and esp 2003 M5 models suffer fewer issues with engine issues...that being oil burning, vanos, cooling, steering, and various other issues etc. One mechanic said 2000-2001 year have been the biggest guests in the shops they work in compared to 2002-2003 models. Any thoughts?
Maybe because their are less 2002 and 2003 cars on the road.
At least here in the UK it seems so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts