BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that 550 is pretty much confirmed for Sept 05 production with the same engine as 750. The question is: Is it too close to M5 for comfort?

360HP - Ok still lower but 360 p Torque is right there. Plus judging from 545 driving the torque distribution of the 550 is going to be close to e39 M5 from 1500 RPM up pretty flat - vs. M3 like torque curve fro the new M5
Get it with manual and it will definetely hang in there with m5 till 80-90 mph.

e39 M5 only walks away from 545 in the top 3d to 4th upshift so 90mph plus

so 550 will tie e-39 M5 and will run with e60 M5 in p400 setting. One will need a lot of button pushing to wake up the beast and rev it up to 9K rpm.

Plus automatic 550 will be closest thing to auto M5 ever. You cn get SMG (toned down) which might cannibalize some M5 sales. Plus other gizmos like active roll stablization and active steering and 20K USD savings and no wait...

HMMM....

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
No. Actually the 550 will be very close to the existing 545. I suspect it will be difficult to tell the difference unless you are comparing them side-by-side. We're talking an additional 11% hp and 9% torque.

I can't see an M5 buyer switching to a car with less hp. Paying an extra $20K for 140 hp plus all the M5 drivetrain and chassis upgrades is a pretty good deal in my book.

·
Registered
369 Posts
there is so much more about the m5 than only its power.

or will the 535d be too close to the m5 because it has more torque? i don't think so. so don't be avfraid! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ilya Zverev said:
Now that 550 is pretty much confirmed for Sept 05 production with the same engine as 750. The question is: Is it too close to M5 for comfort?

360HP - Ok still lower but 360 p Torque is right there. Plus judging from 545 driving the torque distribution of the 550 is going to be close to e39 M5 from 1500 RPM up pretty flat - vs. M3 like torque curve fro the new M5

so 550 will tie e-39 M5 and will run with e60 M5 in p400 setting. One will need a lot of button pushing to wake up the beast and rev it up to 9K rpm.

Plus automatic 550 will be closest thing to auto M5 ever. You cn get SMG (toned down) which might cannibalize some M5 sales. Plus other gizmos like active roll stablization and active steering and 20K USD savings and no wait...

HMMM....
Have you driven the 545?

No offence to anyone here who drives one, but that car is not a performance machine. It's 'kinda' fast and it handles 'kinda' well it's also 'kinda' soft and 'kinda' budget minded. Don't get me wrong it's faster, smoother, sportier and more luxurious than 95% of the cars on the road, but to drive it... comperable qualities could easily be found in Acuras or Chryslers for the same or less price. Driving the 545 is like typing with supple leather gloves on - feels great, looks great and certianly get's the job done in style, just doesn't work if you want to go fast.

The 2006 M5 is being compared to 911s and AMGs.

On a side note - an engine does not make a car. The E55 is as powerful as a wailing banshee on methedrine, but shes as fickle as they come and is as likely to slide out from under you as she is to bust a 5.5 0-60 - trust me, I've done both. It's a monster and like most "engine-cars" - you just can't trust 'em when your hide is out on the bleeding edge.

Celsius

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am sure that's what the e34 M5 owner were thinking when the E39 540i came out. There is progress in every new generation of cars. Why worry about those thing? If that's what you are into the M5 is no loger the speed king a while ago since the '03 E55. time to place an order for the E60 M5. You got to pay to play of you want the latest and the fastest out there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you're just worried about power than it's the supercharged 550 that will probably put out 520-550hp for about $7500. from ESS that the M should worry about.

That being said I myself have considered a S/C for my 540. While I could then walk away from an e39 M5 I still wouldn't have an M. I've come to realize that and am glad I didn't go for the S/C. If I wasn't content to wait for the E60 M5 I'd still go with an E39 M5 before getting either an E60 545 or 550. It's all about the entire package.

M left out the active steering for a reason on the M5. It's just another distraction for the pure enthusiast, and one that you'd have a hard time removing from a 545 or 550.

Don't get me wrong. I love my 540 and also think the 545 is an awesome car. But I'll never confuse it with an M.

Just my 2 pennies....

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think it's a clear cut choice between a 550i and the M5. 11% extra power and 9% extra torque, but the M5 relative to the 545i has already so much more, not just power. What about other features of the M5? Such the M Variable Differential Lock? 550i will handle well I guess, but different as a luxury curizer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ilya Zverev said:

HMMM....
I think you do have a point there. The 550 may actually beat the M5 when in P400 mode:

Mode P400 D5:

0-100 km/h 6,4 seconds
0-160 km/h 14,3
0-200 km/h 21,1

P400 S5:

0-100 km/h 6,0 seconds
0-160 km/h 13,4
0-200 km/h 20,6

I always wonder what happens if one realizes one forgot to put the car in P500 and presses the button in the middle of a hard acceleration run? Will the car jump alive?

·
Registered
955 Posts
e46m3 said:
I think you do have a point there. The 550 may actually beat the M5 when in P400 mode:

Mode P400 D5:

0-100 km/h 6,4 seconds
0-160 km/h 14,3
0-200 km/h 21,1

P400 S5:

0-100 km/h 6,0 seconds
0-160 km/h 13,4
0-200 km/h 20,6

I always wonder what happens if one realizes one forgot to put the car in P500 and presses the button in the middle of a hard acceleration run? Will the car jump alive?
i think it's just me, but i think you guys value the straight line performance too heavily.

straight line performance is hardly the point of a M5. a M5 on D1 and P400 might be slower than a 550i SMG with launch control, but M5 still handles better, give feedback, and ultimately more satisfying.

the status and the image of F40 won't be any less just because F430 is faster than it on Fiorano and have a higher top speed. and i think it's the same for M5. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
tifosi said:
i think it's just me, but i think you guys value the straight line performance too heavily.

straight line performance is hardly the point of a M5. a M5 on D1 and P400 might be slower than a 550i SMG with launch control, but M5 still handles better, give feedback, and ultimately more satisfying.

the status and the image of F40 won't be any less just because F430 is faster than it on Fiorano and have a higher top speed. and i think it's the same for M5. :)
To be fair, the m5 hasn't really been an engine car, unless you compare it to other bmws. The e39 had a superior chassis to it's contenders, but that was e39's not just the m5. I guess the new one they tried to separate it as more than just an engine car, by giving it the special transmission, the electronic differential, and the lack of active steering, but when it comes down to it, of those 4 main things, the engine is the most significant.

Lastly, the sound of the m engines always beat the sound of other bmw engines, that's a big plus to me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
tifosi said:

No question about the better performance of the M5. And I'm sure the SMG on the M5 will be miles ahead of the regular SMG on the 550.

I guess we all look for different things in a car and to me, I somehow expected the engine to be head and shoulder above all. When the E39 M5 came out, it really gave me the wow factor. The E60 M5? Well the V10 is certainly exotic but its numbers? I don't know, must drive one to experience its excellent handling. I was so impressed with the regular 545i driving dynamics it's hard to imagine the M5 will be THAT much better!

However, honestly, if the F40 and F430 came out at the same time, I would have a tough time choosing. I had a ride in an F40 a few years ago, while it's fast, agile, exotically made in CF, since I'm a less than perfect driver and do enjoy a nice comfortable interior, I may actually pick the uglier 430!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
e46m3 said:
I guess we all look for different things in a car and to me, I somehow expected the engine to be head and shoulder above all. When the E39 M5 came out, it really gave me the wow factor. The E60 M5? Well the V10 is certainly exotic but its numbers? I don't know, must drive one to experience its excellent handling. I was so impressed with the regular 545i driving dynamics it's hard to imagine the M5 will be THAT much better!
The engine difference between the M5 and E60 series car is bigger than ever before (e.g., E39 540 vs. M5). Both the specs and reviews certainly reflect this. For example, here is a quote from the Road and Track review that specifically addresses this point:

The differences between a regular-production 5-series BMW and the no-holds-barred M5 have never been greater. First and foremost is the new engine. In today's automotive world of economies of scale, mergers, and collaborations, it is rare for an automaker to design an engine that is entirely new, but the 90-degree, 5.0-liter V-10 is an engine that must have skipped kindergarten because it doesn't share any of its parts. The high-revving V-10 was made for the M5 exclusively, and it makes the car feel as special as anything built outside of Maranello.

It's just a strange question/point to make that the difference between the series 5 (545 or presumed 550) and M5 seems small in comparison to times past. The reverse is true. It's also a bit odd that the alternative is a Ferarri.

Tom

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My brother in law is picking up his 545 today and I mentioned he should have waited until the 550 arrived. He made much the same statement saying that BMW would not goto the 550 to avoid taking M5 sales. I had to chuckle at him. 140+ more hp... and what sounds like the best handling ever, along with all of the other M perks, as well as a better looking car?

Will the 550 take sales from the M? Only those sales by people that wanted a little more from the 545 and were considering the M for that reason. Those tha have the M in their mind and have the M experience in them (runs in their veins so to say) will not consider the 550 as an alternative.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Mark540iMSport said:
If you're just worried about power than it's the supercharged 550 that will probably put out 520-550hp for about $7500. from ESS that the M should worry about.

That being said I myself have considered a S/C for my 540. While I could then walk away from an e39 M5 I still wouldn't have an M. I've come to realize that and am glad I didn't go for the S/C. If I wasn't content to wait for the E60 M5 I'd still go with an E39 M5 before getting either an E60 545 or 550. It's all about the entire package.

M left out the active steering for a reason on the M5. It's just another distraction for the pure enthusiast, and one that you'd have a hard time removing from a 545 or 550.

Don't get me wrong. I love my 540 and also think the 545 is an awesome car. But I'll never confuse it with an M.

Let me know where I can get a BMW quality supercharger installed that increases a 360 HP engine to 520- 550 HP for $7500.

You're either way high on the HP, or way low on the $'s.
Just my 2 pennies....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think the 4.8L V-8 engine is the same one from X5 4.8i....... I have a 545i now and so far I'm pretty satisfied with its overall performance.... I believe 545i is quite underrated so I guess 550i should run pretty closely to E39 M5 and non-supercharged 5.5 AMGs.... Anyways, 545i offers great value at relatively low cost and so will be the 550i.....For people who don't have to push themselves to the limits, 550i would really be awsome...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
deedee545i said:
I think the 4.8L V-8 engine is the same one from X5 4.8i....... I have a 545i now and so far I'm pretty satisfied with its overall performance.... I believe 545i is quite underrated so I guess 550i should run pretty closely to E39 M5 and non-supercharged 5.5 AMGs.... Anyways, 545i offers great value at relatively low cost and so will be the 550i.....For people who don't have to push themselves to the limits, 550i would really be awsome...
Presumably it's the same 4.8 block, but with a valvetronic head?

I wonder if Alpina will supercharge the 4.8, or stick with the 4.4 - probably the latter, if only for fear of further humiliating the M5 in a straight line...

BTW, guys, if the M5 is all about going round corners fast, why not get an Exige? If it's all about balance of qualities and daily useability, isn't the fuel economy going to be a pain, especially with only a puny 70 litre tank? Not to mention that the V10 drone in traffic will become tiresome eventually.

·
Registered
955 Posts
hythe said:
Presumably it's the same 4.8 block, but with a valvetronic head?

I wonder if Alpina will supercharge the 4.8, or stick with the 4.4 - probably the latter, if only for fear of further humiliating the M5 in a straight line...

BTW, guys, if the M5 is all about going round corners fast, why not get an Exige? If it's all about balance of qualities and daily useability, isn't the fuel economy going to be a pain, especially with only a puny 70 litre tank? Not to mention that the V10 drone in traffic will become tiresome eventually.
that 4.8l V8 is actually from Alpina. although it's build with BMW's facility, but it's developed using Alpina's team anyway.

and still, Alpina choose to use 4.4L as the basis of B7, B5, and presumably the B6. so i guess the chances of Alpina switching to 4.8L superchanged engine is pretty slim. not impossible, but it's not something i can see they'd do.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ilya Zverev said:
Now that 550 is pretty much confirmed for Sept 05 production with the same engine as 750. The question is: Is it too close to M5 for comfort?...
With apologies...

I have looked at the BMW web site and find no mention of a BMW 550 with "the same engine as the 750." I have searched Google and other search engines under "BMW 550," and haven't learned anything. I have searched under "550" and only find the Ferrari 550, but don't see the relevance. What 550 are you talking about? I think that it would be a great idea when starting a new thread either to provide a reference or an informatory component to the introductory post, so that participants of this message board know what this thread is about. Will the BMW 545i be upgraded to a 550i? If so, why not just lavish an introductory sentence upon us that says this? As of now, I still don't have a clue why this thread was introduced. :confused:

Thanks,

Richard

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
This is a good point as I have not seen anything that says a 550 or 650 are coming. However, its not unreasonable to think this might happen.

As to the question- maybe it should be asked: would a 550 be too close to the M5? My answer is short: No-Way

1 - 20 of 45 Posts