BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we all know that most Beemers can go on for 300K with no problem. ;) But what about our M5s? Mine has 120000 miles, valve stem seals are on way out causing oil loss, and there is a vibration from 2-3000rpm which I am told could be the clutch bearing.

I know this work won't be cheap, but I'd have it done if I could get another 100000 miles out of the car. It's generally
good apart from that, yes the bodywork could do with a touch-up in places, but you don't notice that from the driver's seat. :haha:

So, can the E39 M5 go on for many miles like "normal" Beemers?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Bimmer vs Beemer

Don't know but; :)

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="club" width="60%">Bimmer vs Beemer</td> <td width="40%">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="title" width="60%">Enthusiasts vs others</td> <td width="40%">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="2" height="17" width="95%">Definitions:
Bimmer - proper accepted slang for BMW cars. Most people don't know this.
Beamer/Beemer - proper accepted slang for BMW motorcycles. You will hear this term used incorrectly by many people.
Bummer - When you get a speeding ticket.
Bitter - Another German car. Very rare; hand built.</td> <td height="17" width="5%">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="17" width="95%">
</td> <td height="17" width="95%">
</td> <td height="17" width="5%">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" width="95%"> So just why is a BMW car called a 'bimmer' not a 'beemer' or 'beamer'?
The answer in part lies in knowing some BMW history and what came first.
All real BMW enthusiasts know that BMW got a big start on two wheels, what many call the real BMWs.
In those days, BMW motorcycles were quite active in racing, and one of their competitors at the track was often the BSA bikes.
Well as things would have it, a track slang developed, and the BMWs were usually referred to as 'beemers' and the BSAs were referred to as 'beesers'.
So, of course for any true enthusiast, there is no way that a BMW car could be called a 'beemer', so they were called 'bimmers'.
Unfortunately, in the US and Canada, and perhaps other countries, there was a time (kind of still is) where for various reasons, a BMW owner was considered an upwardly mobile person, and of course due to the fun in driving their BMWs most all of them had big grins on their faces.
Hence it is little surprise that somes out there incorrectly labeled BMW cars and their owners as 'beamers' or 'beemers'. :):):)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Topper - mine has just over 130k and I have no intention of replacing the car. No other car currently available suits me as much as the M5 for what I need. Sure, I might have to pay a few repair bills at some point, but I could do a lot of repairs and have a few full resprays for the price of replacing the old beast with a new one, or even a slightly younger low mileage E39. One member has 230k miles on his with no problems and another has 190,000 still on the original clutch.....

As an aside, I reckon if I had the spare cash for a new M5 at the moment, I'd be more tempted to add a second hand 911, Ferrari or Lamborghini to the garage:haha:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
:eek:oohhh:120k That's a baby...

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="club" width="60%">Bimmer vs Beemer</td> <td width="40%">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="title" width="60%">Enthusiasts vs others</td> <td width="40%">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="2" height="17" width="95%">Definitions:
Beamer/Beemer - proper accepted slang for BMW motorcycles. You will hear this term used incorrectly by many people.
Bitter - Another German car. Very rare; hand built.</td> <td height="17" width="5%">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" width="95%"> So just why is a BMW car called a 'bimmer' not a 'beemer' or 'beamer'?
All real BMW enthusiasts know that BMW got a big start on two wheels, what many call the real BMWs.
In those days, BMW motorcycles were quite active in racing, and one of their competitors at the track was often the BSA bikes.
Well as things would have it, a track slang developed, and the BMWs were usually referred to as 'beemers' and the BSAs were referred to as 'beesers'.
So, of course for any true enthusiast, there is no way that a BMW car could be called a 'beemer', so they were called 'bimmers'.
Unfortunately, in the US and Canada, and perhaps other countries, there was a time (kind of still is) where for various reasons, a BMW owner was considered an upwardly mobile person, and of course due to the fun in driving their BMWs most all of them had big grins on their faces.
Hence it is little surprise that somes out there incorrectly labeled BMW cars and their owners as 'beamers' or 'beemers'. :):):)

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts

I believe that BMW first built airplane engines ... hence the stylized propeller movement on the roundel ... otherwise, you are correct.

·
Registered
715 Posts
On a sideline,

Would you not have to sell the car for a rock bottom price in order to make the car attractive? I intend to keep my car as long as is possible but with rising fuel costs here in the UK, well over £1 a litre, it seems that a lot of people are selling their big gas gusslers which floods the market and therefore pushes prices down.
Just a thought.

Neil

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
If it were me, I would keep it. It will run a long time, most likely ... and, what car doesn't require maintenance and repair over its life? Plus, you say the car is sound ... :M5launch:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the replies, really inspiring. :haha: Especially dave_gt and jclyman who both reminded me why I drive a beast in the first place!

I'm going to get some quotes to have the various body chips dealt with - none of them are bad alone, but together they make the car shabbier than it should be. Then a visit to BJV (http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com) - have heard that they know what they are doing. Then, quotes for the stem seals and the clutch bearing (although I have no idea if it's that or the diff that's vibrating).

Then at least I'll be able to budget appropriately, and kid myself that I'll get some of the money back if I ever sell the car. :hihi:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a sideline,

Would you not have to sell the car for a rock bottom price in order to make the car attractive? I intend to keep my car as long as is possible but with rising fuel costs here in the UK, well over £1 a litre, it seems that a lot of people are selling their big gas gusslers which floods the market and therefore pushes prices down.
Just a thought.

Neil
Yeah, but then in theory I could buy another at the same rock-bottom price. Also, don't forget more people want a powerful car despite running costs, as the car gets within their budget. Personally I probably do less than 5000 miles a year so I don't care too much, but the motorist in this country certainly gets (drive?)shafted.

Having said that, I don't really want to sell mine. I like an LHD, and I don't think there are many LHD E39 M5s in the UK. *proud*

·
Registered
543 Posts
Never let it go. Do the maintenance love the car.

Or take it out back in the garden and shoot it. Then stuff it and use it as a planter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Now is the wrong time to sell a M5, with fuel at stupid money noone want a 5.0. Keep it, better the devil you know than the devil you dont know.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Keeping or selling a higher mileage car is more of a personal decision rather than economics. When you factor in the costs of buying a newer car, depreciation, etc, maintaining an older car is almost always a better financial proposition. Bimmers have a long track record of holding up many many years and many many miles with proper upkeep. You would do well to discern how much your itch is due to economics, and how much is just plain old restless consumerism.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts