BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 M5 that I recently purchased in September....there are some crazy things to get used to, but here's my latest irritation. As I'm driving the "dong" sound occurs and the message tells me that the right license plate light is out. Shortly after it goes away, then later comes again, so on, and so on until I park the car and get out. So, of course after a few days of this I take it to the dealer and they check it out. Aftermarket light bulb is their answer to the problem....they say that it's throwing off the computer when it runs it's updates. I agree to ignore the problem. Today my wife was driving behind me and she called me on the cell to tell me that my rear light was out....no ****. Now others are noticing the problem and it's bothersome. Later, in the parking lot this evening i hit the remote unlock and noticed the rear light out. I gave it a few taps with my fingers and it came on. My diagnosis is maybe the bulb itself is bad, or loose?

I know this is a bit lengthy, but my right parking lamp is also out! It comes on and off frequently...any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Why not just change the bulb with a BMW one and be done with it? Aftermarket bulbs are known to (a) set off the OBC with bulb warnings and (b) corrode or provide bad connections.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why not just change the bulb with a BMW one and be done with it? Aftermarket bulbs are known to (a) set off the OBC with bulb warnings and (b) corrode or provide bad connections.
I had a similar thing... Left tail lamp and reverse light. THey would come and go. Lights worked.

BMW replaced the light bulbs to fix the problem. I think as they get old, it is possible for them to set off the warnings.

Suggest you replace with OEM BMW lanps as it seems that each circuit has a current monitor that is linked to the warning system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problem with my recently acquired M5 in several rear bulbs, the solution was to clean bulb contacts.

A trick is to use a ink/pencil eraser, Staedtler's white/blue ones are good or the traditional gray/white.

The eraser is mildly abrasive and the crumbs will remove grease and dirt with them. Rub the contacts gently first with the ink side (blue or gray) and then with the white side to polish.

Most probably no need to replace the bulbs.

These are the erasers:

STAEDTLER Mars plastic combi eraser

1 - 4 of 4 Posts