BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in installing an Ipod in my 2002 M5. Ideally, I would be able to get exactly what is offered by the BMW Ipod adapter--steering wheel controls, ipod hidden in the glove compartment, and track information displayed on the nav unit or the multi information display.

So, my first question is why doesn't BMW's adapter work in our cars, but seems to work in the 2002 E46's?

I know about the IceLink adapter, the FM modulator, and the aux input as alternative solutions. For those of you with experience with any of these, especially the IceLink, how close does it come to my ideal? I realize the audio quality of the FM modulator is going to suffer. Any benefits?

Is anyone aware of a third party that is working on an adapter for 2002 M5's that will replicate BMW's functions, including the display?

Thanks much in advance,

Andrew Skopp

·
Registered
79 Posts
After ages agonizing over this, I decided that, as I only use the iPod on long journeys and wanted to take it with me on the train some days, that the answer was......

(Lo fi coming up)

.....using a tape adapter in the tape deck! Yes, it sounds like it's out of the ark, but it's *so* much clearer and better quality than the iTrip (which I bought earlier on), and is even clearer since I took the cassette apart and took out the heads (preventing it moving to cut down on noise).

I know it sounds a bit MacGyver, and to be honest it doesn't look swish when you're driving along, but if you want to take your iPod with you easily, it's (for my money) the best quality answer...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've been running and iPod in my 2000 M5 with a cassette adapter for 2 or 3 years now. Works great.

Get the BMW Cigarette Lighter adapter for the glovebox (plugs into Flashlight socket).
Get the Belkin iPod Car adapter. (as a car adapter, it will send a "pause music" signal to the iPod when the ignition is turned off)
Get an iPod Remote control.
Get a Sony Cassette adapter (quality is important here)

The ipod stays in the Glovebox.
The Remote cord comes out onto the center console (sits in front of the useless front cupholders)
The Cassette adapter cord runs up the left side of the console and into the cassette.

I have an iceLink on order. It will make a slightly cleaner install. (but will replace the CD changer) I'll post how it goes when I get it in.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have tried them all and the Dension IceLink is the best solution by far. The tape ranks second and the FM modulator SUCKS, dont waste your money.

The IceLink is pricey, costing almost as much as the IPOD but it works great. The only downside is that you lose your CD changer. The unit can be mounted to a proclip to the right of the heater controls and can be controlled from the steering wheel and monitor. I love having it mounted on the proclip so you can see what song is playing. It also charges while installed. In the future it is rumored that they will enable the song titles and an album picture to display on the nav screen. Now that would be cool.

The IPOD my BMW is not a great solution. It does not even charge the IPOD.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I installed the AUX input...once I got it dialed in, it sounded great! The big negative is that there's no way to control the ipod...except with the ipod! But with a little advance planning, and careful playlist mixing...you can get it so that you don't have to keep reaching for it to change the song. You will have to keep reaching for it to turn it on/off however...mine lives in the glovebox.

Sound quality = A- (as good as regular M-Audio, which gets a C+!)
Functionality = C-

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi,
Can you describe this AUX input further? How much does it cost and is it easy to install? What's the brand and where can I find it?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have IceLink in my MY2000 and it works pretty well. I have it set up to use the OBC display above the steering wheel in the instrument cluster. The sound is very good. You can use the steering wheel controls for volume and Track to skip songs. The buttons on the radio (1-5) can be used to select playlists on your Ipod, and radio button 6 can be used scroll through other features on the Dension menu.

The only problem I have is that sometimes (not often) for as yet unexplained reasons, I loose the scrolling text in the OBC display on the instrument cluster. Switching to FM and back to the ipod brings it back.

Dennis

askopp said:
I am interested in installing an Ipod in my 2002 M5. Ideally, I would be able to get exactly what is offered by the BMW Ipod adapter--steering wheel controls, ipod hidden in the glove compartment, and track information displayed on the nav unit or the multi information display.

So, my first question is why doesn't BMW's adapter work in our cars, but seems to work in the 2002 E46's?

I know about the IceLink adapter, the FM modulator, and the aux input as alternative solutions. For those of you with experience with any of these, especially the IceLink, how close does it come to my ideal? I realize the audio quality of the FM modulator is going to suffer. Any benefits?

Is anyone aware of a third party that is working on an adapter for 2002 M5's that will replicate BMW's functions, including the display?

Thanks much in advance,

Andrew Skopp

·
Registered
682 Posts
The IceLink is superior to the BMW solution because the ipod can charge while connected you are not limited to 6 playlists and you can see the ID3 info on you nav screen or OBC. No comparison.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Ice>Link with the newest software is the best solution I have seen. Sound quality is better than even the CD changer ever offered (mostly because you can use the iPod's built-in equalizer along with the M5's DSP system). The controls are great, and the menu access is second to none. I keep my iPod hidden in the trunk since I can access anything I need to using the radio controls. I wouldn't trade it for anything and can't drive without it now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts