BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone know something about the interface for the E60 series.

My dealer says that the Original BMW Interface for the Apple iPod only exists for X5, E39, E46 and Z4 :grrrrr: .

·
Registered
955 Posts
how are some of the aftermarket kits for iPod integration?

anybody have any experience with Dension's Icelink plus in their E60?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'm hoping they finally get this right for model year 2006. While BMW has been viewed as a leader in auto electronics, they are slow in the areas of digital audio and phone integration.

Tom

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
At this point, there is no iPod integration available for the E60--from BMW, Dension, or anyone else that I'm aware of. I had the aux input installed in my 545i, hardwired a power source, and store the iPod in the center armrest--not perfect, but I got tired of waiting for a true integration:

iPod Hardwire Install

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also for E90

·
Registered
249 Posts
bernhtp said:
I'm hoping they finally get this right for model year 2006. While BMW has been viewed as a leader in auto electronics, they are slow in the areas of digital audio and phone integration.

Tom
Tom, your so right, and I could never understand that... I am getting the 2006 M5 in September production. What I've hear was that there will be some upgrades to that model, such as push button ignition and so forth. Im hoping with these upgrades they will input the iPod system with it. Im hoping someone in the forum would know if the iPod will be part of the September (2006) production??

·
Registered
540 Posts
BMW launched the E90 Ipod kit for Idrive equiped cars today

So they are working on it

Idrive verision of the retrofit kit will hopefually be out soon, as will the software for MP3 CD playback on Nav equiped cars

I also saw on the dealers system today the pics of the start/stop button and the E90 style key listed for the E60 from September 2005 production

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
BlackBM said:
What I've hear was that there will be some upgrades to that model, such as push button ignition and so forth. Im hoping with these upgrades they will input the iPod system with it. Im hoping someone in the forum would know if the iPod will be part of the September (2006) production??
I never saw the push-button ignition as an upgrade. In the 745, at least, all it accomplished was requiring yet one more step to getting the car going. It pissed me off as nothing more than a dysfunctional stylistic affectation.

Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
E90s with radio professional are also equiped with a kit for mp3 player

·
Registered
623 Posts
rem said:
Does someone know something about the interface for the E60 series.

My dealer says that the Original BMW Interface for the Apple iPod only exists for X5, E39, E46 and Z4 :grrrrr: .

From curiosity, any reasons why you sell your new M5? Any trouble with it :confused:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
bernhtp said:
I never saw the push-button ignition as an upgrade. In the 745, at least, all it accomplished was requiring yet one more step to getting the car going. It pissed me off as nothing more than a dysfunctional stylistic affectation.

Tom
I suspect it could have more to do with getting the top score in the Euro NCAP test - the E60 fared relatively poorly, as i recall in particular with respect to driver leg injuries - removing a hard-point from the column helps with that.

As it is, the autobox E60 already has a starter button - it's called the brake pedal!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anglas said:
From curiosity, any reasons why you sell your new M5? Any trouble with it :confused:
No, absolutely no trouble :M5thumbs: . If I had trouble with it I would certainly not buy an M6 which has the same engine, gearbox...

The only problem the car has is that it don't play MP3 and that you can't connect an IPOD, but time will come :thumbsup:

·
Registered
540 Posts
rem said:
No, absolutely no trouble :M5thumbs: . If I had trouble with it I would certainly not buy an M6 which has the same engine, gearbox...

The only problem the car has is that it don't play MP3 and that you can't connect an IPOD, but time will come :thumbsup:

You can just get the AUX input and connect the Ipod via that

·
Registered
540 Posts
tifosi said:
sure, but the sound quality just isn't very good with that.
The ones i listened to here in friends cars are exactly the same quality as the E46 Ipod adapters if you encode the MP3's at a proper high bit rate. You just need to use a proper quality cable to connect it.

All the Ipod adapter adds is charging and steering wheel control of the ipod

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
tifosi said:
sure, but the sound quality just isn't very good with that.
Not so--I got the aux input installed in my 545i and hardwired my iPod to a switched power supply. I ripped CDs using Exact Audio Copy @ 256 kbps VBR, and in the car the sound is virtually indistinguishable from the original CDs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
bernhtp said:

Tom
Tom, I'm new to the board, not sure if you got a reponse to this or not. The access package on the E60 with push button start will not require the key to be in the ignition. As long as it is with you (in your pocket) the driver door will unlock when you approach the car and will start with the button. I agree that on the 745 it was a gimick that just added a step. Should be better develped now.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Kelly777 said:
The access package on the E60 with push button start will not require the key to be in the ignition. As long as it is with you (in your pocket) the driver door will unlock when you approach the car and will start with the button. I agree that on the 745 it was a gimick that just added a step. Should be better develped now.
I ordered the comfort access for my M5, but for $1000 it should do more than enable the start button when in my pocket (a satisfying vibration might be nice, though this would appeal to my wife more). Again, the start button in the 745 did nothing but add another step to starting the car, and the comfort access does little more than that. But, as the consumate sucker for a technologically loaded car, I'm spending the thousand bucks for it.

Now, I would be more willing to spend a thousand bucks if the comfort access used the authorized BT phones to unlock/activate the car given that it is a wireless mechanism with a similar range and authentication system to the comfort access key. It would not only let me leave the key at home and not have yet one more thing in my pockets, but the iDrive authorization menu allows me to add authorized phones - like making keys. This could be further improved if the iDrive added an attribute to the phone for whether it can unlock, unlock trunk, drive, drive 500hp, and/or phone connect to control access to members of the family, friends, etc. BMW could create this with nothing but a software change and call it Smart Access.

Tom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts