BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My iPod classic keeps cutting out / freezing while it's playing. It'll play fine for awhile, then suddenly the sound stops and the timer for the track freezes. I can still move around and select things, but no songs will play, and no new data will load via the USB. Sometimes I can switch over to the radio, then switch back 30 seconds later and it's back to working. Other times I can't get it to work for a couple days.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Is it most likely the head unit, the cable, the iPod itself, or something else? I don't have any problems with the iPod when I listen to it not in the car.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ajax has had the same issue. Problem with the 2008 is with the mini jack part of the cable. Try unplugging from the car's jack, and vacuum out the jack receptacle. Sometimes dust gets in there and makes for a poor connection. Make sure also if you have the iPod in the compartment that it is secured from bouncing around inside due to the massive G-forces that the Beast creates -- like a lunatic bouncing off the walls of his padded room. I used Velcro pads to keep mine secure.

Since you have no problems when not connected, it is almost certainly the cable connection.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the same thing going on with my iPod Classic, it didn't take a long time but at the end (I think about 4 weeks) the hard drive finally crashed and I had to buy another one to replace it. I got the 8GB nano but I wish I spent another $30 to get the 16GB one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I did clean out the connections, but I was still having the same issues. It's highly possible I didn't clean it very well.

I ended up taking the M6 to my local dealership for a separate issue, and while I was there I remembered this problem and asked them to look at it. That day I got a call with them telling me the issue is related to one of the mp3 hardware components, and they had to special-order a part from Germany to fix it. It's on it's way -- once it get's installed I'll update this thread with the part's name if it fixes the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts