BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked before but will the M5 have the integrated IPod peice? I think its the 7-series that I heard comes with them. If it doesnt come with it, i'm sure the dealer can install it like MB does with their 05 models and up only. Thanks

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would also like to know if the CD player on the '06 will have CODECs for digital media files, e.g., mp3, wma.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Just a wild guess here- but I bet the cd changer will not support it as it does not in the new 7, whereas the in dash cd player does. this is likely due to who the supplier of these components is. When that supplier updates the cd changer, youll get MP3, etc. Support. I believe the cars do have an aux jack, but that is helpful only for hearing the audio from another source. Not in controlling that source. I wish theyd give the ipod more support, but I dont see that happening. Its been reported that the idrive software is from Microsoft....

·
Registered
646 Posts
I am hoping the the new 5 has the same iPod interace as the 3 series, but I see no mention of it anywhere in BMW Press Releases. A simple trip to your local car stereo joint ans they can hard wire in am iPod jack in to the glove box.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I wish theyd give the ipod more support, but I dont see that happening. Its been reported that the idrive software is from Microsoft....
Even if iDrive uses WinCE (I'm not sure it does), that has nothing to do with the applications and interfaces BMW delivers. I frankly would be thrilled to have the M5 come with Windows Media Player along with a USB, 802.11g, 3G, etc. for connecting it to the digital universe.

BMW used to be ahead in this area, but for whatever reason no longer is, and just when there are so many cool applications.

Tom

·
Registered
342 Posts
My new M5 manual staes that the CD player can read MP3. I have not tried it yet but will soon.

There is an Ipod interface for the X5: http://www.dension.com/icelink_info.htm
For the E60, the interface is still under development.
I do not know when it will be out

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
When was BMW ahead in this area? I find almost all automakers a step behind because they are planning for 7-10 year product cycles and the CE market moves too fast for that.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
BMW historically has been ahead of other carmakers in providing electronic functions such OBC and Nav. I believe that BMW is losing this leadership position.

Tom

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Well keep in mind that even the 2003 M5 came with a cassette player :3:

I find BMW are behind the field (Lexus, Mercedes etc.) in this area but the driving experience more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There is no casette player in the E60 M5 is there? I integrated the casette with the headphone jack cable into my range rover and it works great. And since the radio transmitting ones are horrible I don't know what to do. ??????

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I don't think they are losing this position at all. Look at iDrive- while some of us moaned and groaned it was truly revolutionary and a leadership position. Also look at the return of the column mounted shifter that is being duplicated now due to its space efficiency.

It would be nice for them to give us more in terms of audio options, but I think they are tied to their suppliers and as soon as the suppliers offer this ability they will put it in the car. Clearly, the idrive screen is suited to show such metadata from the ipod and other devices. IMHO the screen should also do a better with the sat radio display than it does in my 2005 7. I don't know if the 2006 7 series has been improved in this regard.

Btw- I think there are those who want to box the ipod out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
MP3 supported in 2006 7 series changer

MEnthusiast said:
Just a wild guess here- but I bet the cd changer will not support it as it does not in the new 7, whereas the in dash cd player does. this is likely due to who the supplier of these components is. When that supplier updates the cd changer, youll get MP3, etc. Support.
I have the 2006 750 brochure in front of me and it clearly states that the CD changer supports MP3.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
then it appears it now does.

However, there are several comments on roadfly that suggest only the in dash single cd player and not the changer support mp3. If you have the car, please let us know. My 2005 does not support this.

What would be really nice would be to have DVD-R support since there are now DL burners coming out you could have ~8.5GB of MP3s - which is a little more than an ipod mini would have. This would remove the need to interface with an ipod and most people who really want this are computer savvy enough to make a DVD-R DL of their MP3s. If you did a single layer DVD-R it would be about 4.7 GB. Now imagine if the changer supported DVD-R!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I don't think they are losing this position at all. Look at iDrive- while some of us moaned and groaned it was truly revolutionary and a leadership position.
Oh my God! You've switched position on me.

I believe that iDrive was an important first step as a platform to bring rich electronic features to the car such as digital audio libraries, better Nav, realtime Internet integration via 3G networks, customizability (e.g., M-drive), better phone integration, etc. While iDrive has been out for 4 years now and has opened a door to this large universe, BMW has yet to populate this world with very much function: No digital media integration, no Internet Nav, little progress on phones other than supporting BT, no PC integration, little extra customizability, etc.

The iDrive vision is wonderful, but the progress toward its potential is disappointingly slow. In terms of competition, I find the Navs on Jap cars to be generally better, they got to BT before BMW, have better usability for most people (e.g., touch screens), etc. BMW should have used the iDrive platform to leap WAY ahead of everyone else, but they haven't, at least not yet. I hope they do, and soon.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yes, Tom you helped me to see why idrive was/ is important. My gripes are still true- for those older versions. If you remember my biggest gripe was no direct access buttons- well lo and behold they have added direct access buttons and much better interface software. So my position is not quite a switch. Its that the innovators have caught up with the criticism. I still think there's room for improvement but lets call it like it is: BMW took a big risk and they were fundamentally correct.

Your points are well taken, but like I said, the CE industry moves far too quickly for the auto companies and I sense they often do not know which standards or technologies to adopt. So they wait to see what happens and thats where your criticism comes from. Your point that BMW innovated with the OBC tells you this because the OBC is something BMW could control from start to end. Where as the technologies we all think we want are from a variety of different sources and different suppliers. You can often find solutions from the aftermarket companies as they can move more quickly to adopt and drop a technology. A company like BMW just can't. They have to make sure the technology works for all people and the profile of the BMW or MB or Jag or GM , Toyota, etc. buyer is probably different from that of the person buying an Alpine XM gear and custom amps and speakers.

I think you are too used to the CE and PC industry pace and that is just not likely to be something the bigger companies can adopt.

Back to the ipod interface- Id love to see it. I just don't think they will do much more than has been offered. JMHO.

·
Registered
122 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
.......Back to the ipod interface- Id love to see it. I just don't think they will do much more than has been offered. JMHO.
Whilst it's not a full/proper interface, my son just bought an I Pod accessory for $AUS 70 which links the I Pod via an FM transmitter to any FM radio. The transmitter which is the size if a little finger attaches to the top of the I Pod.

·
Registered
265 Posts
iPod, Opal Black, 750Li, etc.

MEnthusiast said:
then it appears it now does.

However, there are several comments on roadfly that suggest only the in dash single cd player and not the changer support mp3. If you have the car, please let us know. My 2005 does not support this.

What would be really nice would be to have DVD-R support since there are now DL burners coming out you could have ~8.5GB of MP3s - which is a little more than an ipod mini would have. This would remove the need to interface with an ipod and most people who really want this are computer savvy enough to make a DVD-R DL of their MP3s. If you did a single layer DVD-R it would be about 4.7 GB. Now imagine if the changer supported DVD-R!
My 750Li will not arrive until Oct., going to be ordering 'individual', trying to decide between Opal Black and just plain black (if possible with individual).

What scares me away is the greenish in Opal Black. (Do you know anything about this Opal Black color? We looked at Ruby Black but find it too red/purple.)

Agree with you DVD with MP3s will be good. Personally, I'm happy with just the MP3 CD changer. In fact, I'm upgrading my 2004 E55's CD changer to a new version that is MP3 friendly.

Things that trouble me most when buying a car are often the silliest, the phone integration, the iPod/MP3, etc.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
you know what that means? It means you are picking well made cars- now you can focus on the "silly" things ;)

FM modulators (isnt that a little repetitive?) have a mixed record for use with audio sources since they are dependent on having little interference from other sources. A good rule of thumb besides recommendations by other people with them is a modulator that allows you several choices of broadcast frequencies. Keep in mind, going this method will reduce audio quality to FM. I think this is more than acceptable in a convertible, but you will hear a dramatic difference in a sedan- and a quiet one like the new 7 and new 5 will definitely allow you to hear the difference.

I am not sure on the paint color. My advice is if you are unsure you need to see if you can find a real sample, whether its on a car or a color swatch. Keep in mind when you look at a little 3"x6" color sample that it will probably look a little different when its on a big car. When looking at it, look at it in the showroom, but also take it outside and look at it in sunlight. I would be careful with using the website for a color match- the colors often look different than they do on the computer. There are many reasons for this.

Yes, the ice link and others make nice interfaces for the ipod. The aftermarket is always a possibility and that is one of my points which is the aftermarket will move faster than the OEMs- they don't have the same concerns and that allows them to move faster.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts