BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally hooked up an IPOD to the glovebox connection in my 06 M6 vert. The IPOD says this connection does not support charging... which is pretty lame if that's correct.... but I could live with it if it was controllable via Idrive...

I cannot figure any way to control it via the idrive or any other way. Anyone have a clue how this works? I only have the radio options and AUX.

Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I finally hooked up an IPOD to the glovebox connection in my 06 M6 vert. The IPOD says this connection does not support charging... which is pretty lame if that's correct.... but I could live with it if it was controllable via Idrive...

I cannot figure any way to control it via the idrive or any other way. Anyone have a clue how this works? I only have the radio options and AUX.

Thanks!
If you have a USB in the glove box I assume you have a 2010 or updates iDrive with the CIC system. If that's the case, you are connected to the wrong USB. That one is only for adding music. You want the USB in the center console for charging and iPod control. Actual available controls will depend on your software levels in the car.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for the note... My car is a 2007 but this is an actual IPOD connection not a USB. Any idea?
Its not a BMW item, it's aftermarket. You need to see what it's hooked up to.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hmm.. what could it be hooked to besides he idrive system? There is no other way to select another input via the factory stereo that I am aware of?
I could be wrong. It might be a BMW part that was not coded, but there are also several companies that make an iPod/ iPhone adapter that goes on place of the CD changer and acts like it.

Do you have the CD changer in the back of the glove box? If not, see if the CD changer shows up in the iDrive. That might be it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh interesting ok. the bummer is the IPOD says it doesn't charge it. Which is a real pain... No I don't have a CD changer in the glovebox... I just have the in dash CD & DVD... I think I may have a changer in the trunk, I can't recall now

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Are you sure you're not just plugging it in the Aux port in the glove box? The factory iPod integration kit will have a black cable to attach to your iPod (pic below). It'll charge your iPod and the controls/playlists pop up under the CD menu.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha.. yes I know the difference of an AUX port vs a IPOD connector. The IPOD connector is in the glovebox. The IPOD says on the display that it is an accessory that will not charge it. I will try controlling it via the CD player. Being in the glove box seems inconvenient for picking tunes if you can only go from one song to the next.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Haha.. yes I know the difference of an AUX port vs a IPOD connector. The IPOD connector is in the glovebox. The IPOD says on the display that it is an accessory that will not charge it. I will try controlling it via the CD player. Being in the glove box seems inconvenient for picking tunes if you can only go from one song to the next.

Thanks!
;) Just thought it was worth checking. IIRC, my car had the AUX port in the glove box too and that was swapped out when they installed the iPod integration kit.

Anyway, the OEM iPod integration kit will allow you to control the iPod from the CD menu. Playlists are listed there so you can just scroll using the iDrive knob. If the CD option is grayed out, then something's wrong with the coding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 07 M6 convertible and I also have the IPOD in my glovebox. I can neither get it to charge my Touch or play any music through the car. I would also welcome any insights. I have original brochures that mention the IPOD so it is not an aftermarket unit. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Are you guys able to play the iPod but just not able to charge it? If you can play it, is it coming from the AUX or CD source?

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I was still kinda hoping you guys are confusing AUX input with iPod integration and that you're able to play music through the AUX option in iDrive. :)

The only thing I can think of now is what someone mentioned previously which is the system needs coding.

I also vaguely recall when I had an issue with my Telematics Control Unit, most of the source functions in iDrive were grayed out so they reprogrammed the car to turn it back on.

·
Registered
571 Posts
No sir... aux in the center console works great. Its the IPOD cable in the glovebox that doesnt do anything.

How do we get our system coded for it?
Can you post a picture of the connector?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts