BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems with my GPS totally losing where it is for the last several months. After several times in the shop, they are telling me this time it is some sort of "interference" between the software updates for the iPhone and the GPS in the M6. I'm not using it for the iPod interface, just as a bluetooth phone synced with the car.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing? Sounds completely unrelated to me...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use my Iphone all the time in the car and never had a problem with the GPS...I did get the most recent software upgrade...maybe you should check to see what version you have. I got 27.1 version a few months ago and everything is working great.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been having problems with my GPS totally losing where it is for the last several months. After several times in the shop, they are telling me this time it is some sort of "interference" between the software updates for the iPhone and the GPS in the M6. I'm not using it for the iPod interface, just as a bluetooth phone synced with the car.

That's complete and utter bullshit. I've been using my iphone in the car since I got the iphone last June with no issues.

Try this. Put your iphone in airplane mode or leave it at home and then go for a GPS ride in the car and see if the GPS is screwed up. Or alternatively take a drive with both on and if you start to have a GPS problem switch the iphone to airplane mode to see if it goes away. If the GPS is still screwed then it has absolutely nothing to do with the iphone since the iphone is not transmitting nor receiving.

I'd be willing to bet anything that one has nothing to do with the other.

·
Registered
221 Posts
One more thing. The only other time I've heard of a GPS issue is with some board members that have swapped out their trunk lid and thus changed the position of the GPS antenna.

·
Registered
47 Posts
wow, what i'd be so afraid to change my trunk lid, with enough heat I have heard that the weaves in the carbon fiber can cause the corners of the trunk to warp. it only works on a piece that never opens or stays constant with the car, such as the roof.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Did you update to 1.1.4?

Since doing so my phone is completely useless on handsfree. Turn off your wifi receiver, and see if that solves your problem. That seems to be the culprit.

-Audio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The iPhone works *fine* with the car hands-free. But BMW claimed that by having hooked up the iPhone with several different versions of software (on the iPhone over time) was what killed the GPS.

I just got the car back yesterday after they "cleaned it up" by removing all the other pairings of phones in the car and updating the software. I paired my phone - drove a mile - saw that the GPS was starting to go bad and immediately deleted the phone from the system (since I knew that would be their first question). This morning i'm about 15 miles off on the GPS.

I'm still just amazed that BMW would think a handsfree phone being paired with the system could screw up the GPS location...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an iphone for two weeks and got rid of it. It was worthless as a phone when I had connected to the M6 to listen to music. I couldn't drive and text anyone due to the on-screen keyboard. I bought a Nokia E90 and love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts