BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright first of all I want to mention, I have a 09 M5 which is the CCC iDrive system. Second, I have a iPhone 6 which I would like to connect via USB to listen and stream my music from. I've read from previous threads that I am going to need the Y-cable (which basically is the USB and Aux cable which connects to the old iPhones: iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S). In the previous threads, they mentioned if I get the Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter I would be all good to go. So I went ahead and purchased the Y-cable from Amazon: Amazon.com: Goliton® BMW iDRIVE iPOD iPHONE iPAD CABLE ADAPTER OEM USB AUX MINI COOPER MASERATI LEAD WIRE CORD PART # 61120440796 & 61120440812: Cell Phones & Accessories and the Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter from eBay: New Apple MD823ZM A Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter iPad iPhone iPod | eBay. I installed those two into my car and in the iDrive when I go into AUX to choose USB it does not give me the option to select it. I got really pissed because I brought these parts and yet it still doesn't work. If you guys can help me, please do.

Thanks in advance,
Arman

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more question; if I put a USB flash drive loaded with songs inside the glove box, will it play music on my CCC iDrive?

·
Registered
513 Posts
One more question; if I put a USB flash drive loaded with songs inside the glove box, will it play music on my CCC iDrive?
Do you have a USB port inside the arm rest? That's where I have mine connected and the file system has to be FAT32.
I use the glove box USB for either updating the Navigation or actually copying the MP3 files from a USB to the hard drive. I have CIC.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigation/audio/_shared/pdf/bmw_usb_audio_information_2009_en.pdf?download=true

Just read you purchased a Y cable so you should use the armrest USB for playing MP3s directly from a USB drive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a USB port inside the arm rest? That's where I have mine connected and the file system has to be FAT32.
I use the glove box USB for either updating the Navigation or actually copying the MP3 files from a USB to the hard drive. I have CIC.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigation/audio/_shared/pdf/bmw_usb_audio_information_2009_en.pdf?download=true

Just read you purchased a Y cable so you should use the armrest USB for playing MP3s directly from a USB drive.
I just tried the UBS stick with songs on my CCC iDrive works perfectly. Thank you so much, I'm also thinking of updating my CCC to the new CIC iDrive. I heard it works a lot smoother and faster.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a feeling that you will need to code that on. I'm guessing it's somewhere in the CAPPL module.
Is there any guides on that? Or anywhere I can take it for coding?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
689 Posts
Is there any guides on that? Or anywhere I can take it for coding?

Thanks in advance
You can try doing a search at bmwcoding.com. But make sure you do an exhaustive search for it before posting a question. Most of those guys are tools and won't offer a bit of help if there is already an answer somewhere on that site.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I would buy a genuine BMW y-cable the one you linked is not. I have worked with numerous client cars and even though the BMW y-cable is expensive it saves the headache of the cheaper ones when they fail since it carries a two year parts warranty. I have a feeling your problem lies within that cable.

It should work with y-cable and lighting adapter.

If you have an iPod with the old 30 pin connector try hooking it up directly to the cable you bought and see if it works. If it still doesn't work its most definitely that y-cable from Amazon.

EDIT: Look on the eBay ad you linked. That adapter says it does't support audio, only charging in the description. Just buy the genuine stuff it will save you the hassle....

And no. You have to put the USB thumb drive with music into the center console USB port.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I would buy a genuine BMW y-cable the one you linked is not. I have worked with numerous client cars and even though the BMW y-cable is expensive it saves the headache of the cheaper ones when they fail since it carries a two year parts warranty. I have a feeling your problem lies within that cable.

It should work with y-cable and lighting adapter.

If you have an iPod with the old 30 pin connector try hooking it up directly to the cable you bought and see if it works. If it still doesn't work its most definitely that y-cable from Amazon.

EDIT: Look on the eBay ad you linked. That adapter says it does't support audio, only charging in the description. Just buy the genuine stuff it will save you the hassle....

And no. You have to put the USB thumb drive with music into the center console USB port.
Thank you so much brother! I'm going to return those items back. I tried the USB thumb drive it works perfect (probably I will be using this method).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved! I just use the USB flash drive and it works perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts