BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Can you take a look at attached. Do you think I am being overcharged? It kind of looks too much for me.

Your opinion is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
2.7 hours for changing lower oil pan seal,1.5 hours for tranny bushings,1 hour for sway bar links,5.2 hours for both valve cover gaskets...sounds a bit high...

Realistic times(based on my experience,no idea about the book times and calculated generous):

lower oil pan gasket while doing oil change anyway: 1 hour

Tranny bushings: 0.5 hours

sway bar links: 0.5 hours

both valve cover gaskets: 3.5 hours

As said,average times based on my experience with time calculated for cleaning stuff,bolt/thread issues(hence a bit higher),....

Maybe someone can chime in with the book times?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Those are close to what I would expect to pay at a dealership so for an indy that seems about 20-30% high to me. The parts prices are reasonable but the labor quotes do seem high. However, valve cover gaskets are easy to do a poor job on so if they do it correctly, then maybe its worth the 5.7 hrs of labor. At least their $85/hr labor charge is pretty good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can't imagine it takes 3 hours at $95 per hour to install a windshield seal. I had a new windshield installed with a new seal from safelite and I think my total bill was ~$350, it took the guy between and hour and an hour and a half to do.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can't imagine it takes 3 hours at $95 per hour to install a windshield seal. I had a new windshield installed with a new seal from safelite and I think my total bill was ~$350, it took the guy between and hour and an hour and a half to do.
That one stuck out to me too.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Guys,

Can you take a look at attached. Do you think I am being overcharged? It kind of looks too much for me.

Book time takes into account the cost of the job not just the hours involved. $85 an hour is inexspenvive compared to shop rates here in California though, the dealer gets $165 an hour. Try not to dwell on actual time on the job and the rate quoted, would you pay more if it took longer?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They said they had two guys working for 2 hours on windshield deal. I saw a post here on the board or bimmerfest and one guy did it in 40 minutes.

I am not cheap especially when it comes to my M5, but this just doesn't look right. I guess I will have to look for different Indy now.

P.S. I recommended this shop to my brother to take his Land Rover for some maintenance. They managed to put $130 worth wipers on his Rover. I could not believe when he told me that. I was taking my BMW's for couple years there and never had a problem with their rates and work. Something changed, I guess.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
They said they had two guys working for 2 hours on windshield deal. I saw a post here on the board or bimmerfest and one guy did it in 40 minutes.

I am not cheap especially when it comes to my M5, but this just doesn't look right. I guess I will have to look for different Indy now.

P.S. I recommended this shop to my brother to take his Land Rover for some maintenance. They managed to put $130 worth wipers on his Rover. I could not believe when he told me that. I was taking my BMW's for couple years there and never had a problem with their rates and work. Something changed, I guess.

On windshields there's the right way (BMW) and the quicky $169 way. Which would you prefer on your M5? I opt for BMW glass and BMW glue kits with BMW seals only. I'd rather not do a windshield than do it the silicone seal generic rubber way. We've seen too many E46's with rotted carpets due to the overuse of silicone that seals the sunroof drains.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On windshields there's the right way (BMW) and the quicky $169 way. Which would you prefer on your M5? I opt for BMW glass and BMW glue kits with BMW seals only. I'd rather not do a windshield than do it the silicone seal generic rubber way. We've seen too many E46's with rotted carpets due to the overuse of silicone that seals the sunroof drains.

I am hoping everything was done the right way. I haven't seen the car yet.

But small things like charging me for oil change $65 when they had work done on oil pan,pisses me off. I am leaving almost $2k in repairs, can't you throw me free oil change?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am hoping everything was done the right way. I haven't seen the car yet.

But small things like charging me for oil change $65 when they had work done on oil pan,pisses me off. I am leaving almost $2k in repairs, can't you throw me free oil change?
They probably only charged you for the oil and the filter. 65 would be the cheapest oil change I have ever seen done on an M5.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I call BS on this estimate, this shop is doing what many shops do, they price out every job then add it up, even if there are overlapping labor operations. This is how many shops "stick it to the customer".

What they will claim is since it is an estimate, they do not know what the customer will do, so this is why they price out each repair separately.

For example, if you change the oil pan gasket, you are changing the oil by default, the only other operation is changing the filter. A real shop will do this gratis as you are already spending a lot of money on a much more sizable repair anyway. If you have your oilpan gasket replaced, would suggest you sort out the oil drain plug, Helicoil is the way to go, the best solution is have the outside of the oil pan recess welded up to increase the thickness, machine the outside hump flat, then Helicoil the oil pan, you should never have problems once the oil pan is addressed this way!

2nd problem I see with redundant labor operations is the transmission mount and the shifter bushing. If you change the transmission mount, the shifter bushing can easily be changed while under there, the rear (more expensive bushing does list for around $70, but takes about 5 minutes to replace once you are under the car. The front carrier shifter bushings are very cheap and really should be replaced as well, if you have the trans cross member down, pop the rear carrier bushing, then the front bushings can be changed quickly, BUT this means the shifter needs be removed, which would take more time. Unless they are quoting the shifter bushing at the base of the shifter, which is a different matter and most likely will not need to be changed anyway.

I see mention of the Guibo as well. Note that there is a small centering bushing inside the Guibo that is VERY important to replace when working on the Guibo, If there are vibrations, also check out the driveshaft center bearing a buytl tape as well.

The windshield gasket I assume is the outer rubber molding? Not an issue of water leakage, this is really a DIY job if you are careful to remove the old piece, if not, get your own parts and take it to a glass shop, it will be quicker and cheaper than this outfit.

Look carefully at the estimate as well, SL = Sublet, ie this shop is not doing the work, or they have a different department doing the work.

Sublet = markup = more profit! Shop these items yourself and save some money and/or DIY.

Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Guys,

man you are just in time asking this question:applause: , our answers dont make any difference now.
you can get great work done at PRESTIGE LEASING of buffalo grove , ask for vlad (mechanics manager)
i have 3 bimmers in the family (m5 just recently) , he serviced them all the time as well as my previous cars.
he never overcharged me , dont know about others .
once i had estimate for some suspension work to be done on my wife's x5 for $1500 , he did all the work for $800
let me know next time if you need help.:cheers:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have no idea how pist I am. Picked up my car tonight, was in a really big hurry so didn't even checked things, but later on I discovered that I cant open the hood, only one side pops when I pull hood release cable, my XM radio antenna cable that was cut ( I guess while working on windshield), still have same vibration from shifter, I can see black silicone deposits on windshield along the edges.

Also, when I brought my car there, I was told that I need new belts, which did not make any sense for me at all since belts were replaced last summer, no more than 5-7 k miles ago.

I will give them a call tomorrow. Will see what they say. If I will not like what they will tell me, I will have no other choice as posting this shop's name here and in every other forum I am a member of. This is just BS grrrrrrr

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think I probably would've purchased an extractor for $65. My last oil change was $20 though (with me bringing oil change kit purchased from Tischer).

For more comparison, the dealer did not charge for an oil change when they replaced the valve cover gaskets under warranty; it just charged for the oil.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man you are just in time asking this question:applause: , our answers dont make any difference now.
you can get great work done at PRESTIGE LEASING of buffalo grove , ask for vlad (mechanics manager)
i have 3 bimmers in the family (m5 just recently) , he serviced them all the time as well as my previous cars.
he never overcharged me , dont know about others .
once i had estimate for some suspension work to be done on my wife's x5 for $1500 , he did all the work for $800
let me know next time if you need help.:cheers:
I will definitely give them a call next time I need some work done on my M5.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Guys,

I just checked on repairpal.com with zip code 60515 (downers grove) and I got the following two labor quotes:

Oil Pan Gasket replacement total labor only: $236-$302
Valve cover gaskets (both) total labor only: $532-$679

Your shop is charging you less for these items... thus it looks competitive to me, for the market you're in.

Good luck!

-crds

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just checked on repairpal.com with zip code 60515 (downers grove) and I got the following two labor quotes:

Oil Pan Gasket replacement total labor only: $236-$302
Valve cover gaskets (both) total labor only: $532-$679

Your shop is charging you less for these items... thus it looks competitive to me, for the market you're in.

Good luck!

-crds
I was wasn't too concerned on these two. Shifter ans transmission bushings, hood release cable, sway bar links, windshield seal. These do concern me. It just looks like too many labor hours charged here.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Valve cover REQUIRES they replace the washers on each bolt. Did not see that on the estimate.

You are paying 'dealer retail' for possibly substandard work.

Oh, and when the dealer did mine under warranty they forgot the washers too...and redid the job a month later.

A

1 - 20 of 39 Posts