BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about the invisible 3M clear plastic bra. It looks great! I was just wondering if anyone has it and how they like it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had mine applied when I picked up my Beast last January. The only word of caution I can give is be sure your car color is not too dark. You can see the edge of the film on darker cars. Mine is Sterling Grey and it is slightly noticable, but the benefits outweigh this concern.
I highly recommend putting film on the nose of the Beast.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had it installed on my Avus Blue (a dark color) and although I can see the lines, the protection far outweighs this concern.

Cost me $500 (regular $750), but only because I negociated the price and person installing. They charge what they think they can get!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My sister-in-law has this on her dark green 525, and she hates it. It is very visible (I guess a dark color). I thought about it when my car was new, but just like seat covers that hide or change the beautiful car as it is, I decided against it. If I got a bunch of chips, I'd spend the $500 on a touch-up of the affected areas. My 2002 is also starting to show wear on the driver bottom left leather seat bolster. It just gives the car more character that you actually use it instead of letting it sit in the garage. I use mine as a daily driver, in winter snow (With snow tires/wheels) and summer heat. Enjoy the car without protection! It looks too nice.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Digi:

I agree, to a point. I'm all for people using their car as much as possible, whether it's daily grind, track events, or grocery shopping on the weekend. But, I think the Stoneguard product is a great one. I've seen it on a dark blue Mini S, and a LeMans M5. Both were noticable, but you had to be looking for them. Make sure you get a great installer. Those in the Northwest are lucky, as Stoneguard is located up in Seattle.

Travis

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 3M die cut kit does not really fit the front of the M5 that well IMHO. Give it about two years where I live and it starts to turn yellow and to start with it has an orange peel that causes a lot of distortion in the right light.

I had LLumar's film custom cut and applied just to the areas I wanted and my installer even remove my grills and ran the film to the edge and reinstalled the grills for a no edge finish in the center of the cars hood. This film has a lot less wave in it than the 3M and is much more UV stable as LLumar is one of the premier makers of window tint.
I’m not going to ramble on here is a link to LLumars Paint Portection

One other thing, find the best window tint installer in your area and don't let anyone else touch your BEAST.<o ="">
</o>

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've had the 3M film on my Silverstone beast for over 4 years and I think it's one of the best investments I put on the car. It is starting to show a little age, with the edges starting to get a little grimy, but it has saved the car from hundreds of pebbles and thousands of Florida's native LOVE BUGS that etch paint pretty easily.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you use John at Artech??? He did the same on my car (wrapped all edges possible and removed grills). Mine is Venture film since Llumar wasn't available then. I love the Llumar film, have no complaints about the Venture film (after 18 months) and would never again get 3M film.

Dean

Apex said:
The 3M die cut kit does not really fit the front of the M5 that well IMHO. Give it about two years where I live and it starts to turn yellow and to start with it has an orange peel that causes a lot of distortion in the right light.

I had LLumar's film custom cut and applied just to the areas I wanted and my installer even remove my grills and ran the film to the edge and reinstalled the grills for a no edge finish in the center of the cars hood. This film has a lot less wave in it than the 3M and is much more UV stable as LLumar is one of the premier makers of window tint.
I’m not going to ramble on here is a link to LLumars Paint Portection

One other thing, find the best window tint installer in your area and don't let anyone else touch your BEAST.<o ="">
</o>

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Certainly not invisible - at least on my LMB car. I had hood, mirrors, and front bumper installed when I bought the car Feb. of 2003. I tore it all off recently, just wasn't happy with the look. Better IMO to repaint occasionally that to have to look at the film all the time and field questions from people about it. JMO, YMMV, yatayatayata blablabla :blabla:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lincoln said:
Did you use John at Artech??? He did the same on my car (wrapped all edges possible and removed grills). Mine is Venture film since Llumar wasn't available then. I love the Llumar film, have no complaints about the Venture film (after 18 months) and would never again get 3M film.

Dean
Yep, John did the install on my cars and he is the best in D/FW since 1984

1 - 13 of 13 Posts