BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello members of m5board

I´ve been wanting a BMW back in my life for some time now, after having sold my old E61 520D back in 2018. Fast forward couple years later i finally got the car i wanted E39 M5. An advert of this car was posted in the beginning of this year and since i live in Iceland and not alot of M5´s here (maybe 20/30) i knew what car this was but didn´t have any idea of the condition of it. So on January 3. i went to take a look at this car and test drove it.. Needless to say it was faaar from perfect and needed alot of work. However few days past and the seller agreed on price and i bought it !

I only have had one M car before which was a E34 M5 8 or 9 years ago but at that time it wasn't the best car for me to have.

The car is a 1999 E39 M5 Individual Imola red. It has 251kms on the dash but the engine only has 147kms (dealer replaced it in germany back in 2005)

My plan for this car is simple, Original exterior and do all the maintenance this car deserves. I have already ordered a bunch of parts some are here some i*m stilling waiting for.

The evening i picked it up yes it was snowing outside and the car equipped with summer tyres so meant no driving

First things first. I had to get rid of the front lip I don't like it and i thought i made the car look cheap. So here removed and first wash

The car had window tint in the rear windows and those had to go! It took me almost 4 hours just to remove it !

Next up was those ugly eyelash thingy, so out with the headlights and started to try and remove those eyelids which was glued to the headlamp
To my surprice the headlight adjusters weren't broken

then sanded down and applied fresh clear coat and the results are rewarding! looks like new

The car wasn't getting to optimal tempature so new OE Behr thermostat was replaced and that fixed that issue. However i did those rookie mistake when replacing it i cracked a O-ring and coolant leaked on the back of the engine, I removed the thermostat again and did it with a different approach and it worked fine after that and no leaks.

I sourced a used OEM style 66 staggered on winter tyres which dosen't really matter since i don't drive this car anyway in the winter time, but since im working on it from now and then it's good to these tyres on so i can move this car between places. I am also going to refurbish the OE style 65 wheels in the correct color in the near future

Rear passenger door handle did not work on the outside so i bought a new door handle bracket and managed to get the door working again

I also replaced all of the Fuel filter, oil filter and air filters + fresh 10w/60 oil.

That is all for now. Soon i will have the rod bearings replace (already bought the kit) and the suspension components

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow, that thing must be a lot of fun to drive around on the Iceland ring road. I wonder how many M cars are registered in Iceland :LOL:

Nice to see another car being restored!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that thing must be a lot of fun to drive around on the Iceland ring road. I wonder how many M cars are registered in Iceland :LOL:

Nice to see another car being restored!
Yeah we have some amazing scenery and B roads and i can't wait to go for a good drive. :)
I believe they were 28 e39 m5 registered including those who are wrecked etc.. so not many left

Thanks i am going to do my best with this one :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Good deal! Car looks great - I'm partial to Imola!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Beautiful car - congrats on the best color!
So, if that ugly/cheap lip if carbon fiber, I want to be the 1st to throw a hat in the ring for purchasing it please

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good deal! Car looks great - I'm partial to Imola!
Thank you it will be better! :)

Beautiful car - congrats on the best color!
So, if that ugly/cheap lip if carbon fiber, I want to be the 1st to throw a hat in the ring for purchasing it please
Thanks, it was just some ebay plastic one, when i took it of i even noticed it was broken in some areas, i ended up throwing it away

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Nice

Reactions: danni_is

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Daniel,

What is/are the individual option(s) on the car?
Well at first i had no idea this was an individual car, but it had the individual badge on the front strut tower

but it isn´t more special than this
Individual Equipment
S775​
Headlining Anthracite​

I thought at first it was the red interior trim 😄

·
4,385 Posts
Well at first i had no idea this was an individual car, but it had the individual badge on the front strut tower

but it isn´t more special than this
Individual Equipment
S775​
Headlining Anthracite​

I thought at first it was the red interior trim 😄
That's still awesome,
I always wonder what made the original owners ask for some of the more minute changes. ( I saw another M5 for sale where the hi-fi system was the only individual option)

:cool:(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i ordered some parts the other day for the m5 and started today to do some minor bits. I started to get rid of the black kidney grilles and installed OEM m5 chrome grilles

Grilles removed

Had to clean a little bit behind the grilles

In with the new

Next up was the oil cap, i also suspect the hoses for the oil separator tank are leaking, they are quite soft so i am going to order them both and replace them.

New cap

Then i replaced the power steering hoses and reservoir since it was leaking

Power steering fluid was quite dark and hadn't been replaced a in a long time

Old vs new

Everything put back together with fresh ATF fluid

Took a few pictures on my way home

I really need to fix that bumper ! That crack is driving me crazy :| I also got a pair of OEM rear mufflers which i am looking forward to installing :)

I also replaced a rear PDC sensor since one of them wasn't working, When i put the car in reverse i got that long beep sound, after i replaced the sensor i got no sound from the PDC, but i hear a clicking sound in all four of them. Could this be a faulty PDC module ?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Great looking Imola M5!

I definitely had staggered style 66 wheels for my winter tire setup. I thought they looked pretty good and the 17 inch diameter definitely helped save on the tire cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts