BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty new hear, although I've been reading on this board for a couple months now. I must say that this is the first forum I've spent time on which wasn't full of bickering and trolling. Everyone is very respectful and helpful, which I truly admire, and look forward to being a part of.

After about 2 long months of searching, I picked up a 2008 M5 - Space Gray, SMG, 23k on the clock coming off a lease in late Decemeber, and started modding it about a week later. I've owned an STI and an audi S4 in the past, but the BEAST takes the cake.

Threw the car on the dyno the other day to see what she'd make. My plan was to do a stock baseline and then rpi scoops/block off plates/filters after, but I got a bit impatient.

I'm VERY impressed with the power. 403.5whp/304wtq is high for such a conservative dynomometer, my low 11 second ver.7 JDM STI only made 350awhp on this dyno (still a record for a 2.0 liter subaru). The car definitely sounds better with the BMC filters, but I'm looking forward to exhaust in the next month or so.

So far pretty basic:
Carbon kidney/side grills, Matt black ///M5 badge
H&R springs, painted reflectors, and carbon roundels are in the mail.
RPi Scoops, Block Off Plates, BMC Filters
50% tint

Sorry for the poor quality photos, I forgot the camera so I had to use the EVO 4G

Here are a few other pictures, one of the bike put away for the winter, and the previous toys.

NOTE:

I'd like to thank my good friend Alexei at Speed Industry. for letting me play with the dyno all afternoon.

I'd also like to thank Eloy at RPI for all of his help, they really know what customer service is over there.

Reactions: Ahmed and Gustav

·
Registered
596 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Welcome. And I fully agree...no BS/trolls. Me coming from an Acura RSX greatly see your point. Higher priced car = more mature members. Nice pick up on the M5 btw.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great picking out the "Space Gray" M5!

Also very good dyno numbers as well.

Welcome to M5board.com =)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have never Dyno'd mine and am thinking about doing here in the near future just for kicks. stupid question but what gear do you dyno in? I did an old RX7 in 4th and my e46 M3 in 4th(which i think was incorrect)?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never Dyno'd mine and am thinking about doing here in the near future just for kicks. stupid question but what gear do you dyno in? I did an old RX7 in 4th and my e46 M3 in 4th(which i think was incorrect)?
We dyno'd in 4th, which is what Eloy from RPI recommended for an inertia dyno. I didn't want to spin the rollers to 150+ in 5th either. Shop temp was around 55 degrees and very dry (its cold up here in michigan), which probably helps explain the high numbers. Did about 11 passes, pretty consistent overall.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Well done, good numbers!
Any correction factors applied? That would give you a better indication as to what kind of power you are putting down

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The M5 makes peak hp at 7750rpms.....if you cut it off at 7500 you may have shorted yourself on the dyno.
I revved it out to ~8200 on the dyno

The RPM is all 500 off on the chart, couldn't figure out why at the time but evidently it's not an issue anymore. I'll be back on the dyno when I install my exhaust in a few weeks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just had my 2006 stock M5 dyno'd on a Dynapack style last week. I can't say that the experience was all that great - the Dynapack has some issues with the SMG transmission and the dude who ran the dyno pulls was not that sharp. I'm not sure if I can trust the numbers I got, which was about 430HP peak, max torque was about 300 as well. I would not recommend Dynapack dyno testing for our beasts.

I'll scan the report and post it in a new thread for you to review, hopefully this weekend. All three of my tests were done in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just had my 2006 stock M5 dyno'd on a Dynapack style last week. I can't say that the experience was all that great - the Dynapack has some issues with the SMG transmission and the dude who ran the dyno pulls was not that sharp. I'm not sure if I can trust the numbers I got, which was about 430HP peak, max torque was about 300 as well. I would not recommend Dynapack dyno testing for our beasts.

I'll scan the report and post it in a new thread for you to review, hopefully this weekend. All three of my tests were done in 3rd gear.
Dynapack and Dynojet (hub dyno's) typically read higher than inertia/roller dynos such as the mustang. The purpose of dyno's is really to measure the gains/losses of modifications. However, I was impressed with my numbers given my experience with this particular dyno and my previous toys.

My RPI GTS exhaust gets in Thursday, so this weekend I'll dyno it again and give an update. :1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts