BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys! My name is Karan and I am about to buy a 2007 e63 m6. My whole family owns BMW's but never owned the iconic V10 monster. Just wondering if you guys can give me tips and things to look out for when I go take the look. Not sure what the common problems are. Please help me out in figuring out if the car I am about to see is the perfect car. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If u search common issues u will find all your answers throttle actuators smg pump rod bearings are a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just like any other car

Check everything operates
Service history
Any damaged panels or paint

Id like to see recent battery change, brakes, tires and suspension depending on km
And idle and throttle actuators

·
Registered
68 Posts
Vanos: https://youtu.be/xEb2AjdSUWs
Idle Qualities: https://youtu.be/RguAmKqZZrk
Exhaust Note: https://youtu.be/PLrYgQbAYO4
Idling Overall: https://youtu.be/iBXn6XTi_nM

I feel for you, and I know the dilemmas.
My car is 2007 e64 m6, and I had to go through vanos, rod bearings, Ignition coils, spark plugs, camshaft position sensor, DSC, Idle and throttle actuators with this insane engineering from BMW. Named a little less. I swore sometimes and regretted why I did not choose to buy e92 m3 when I had a chance to think both options. Things with this engine are love and hate situation all the time. If any one component of both mechanical and electrical get little bad, my butt now will immediately realize that she is not happy. How do I know? your shifting through gears become jerky, the response to the gas pedal changes every minute from the stop light.
But I learned a new territory of my interest during my journey that I like working on my car, and to be honest with you I spent immeasurable amount of money by now to fix the problem I faced and the performance modification I did. Technically, when you decide to buy a car that is aged already almost 10 years+, you must getting into electrical problem for 100% confidence. the mechanical problem is the next depending on the mileage the car has put on such as Clutches/flywheel, or infamous rod bearings.
Back at the time when the car was hailed in production, there was engineering faults BMW had never admitted, and it was on customers end to bear the toll of keeping the car. They either chose to sell their cars or to keep it at the hope in future some revision takes place to improve the inherent problems with the motor and SMG hydraulic units. BMW, in fact, took active measurements to improve the shifting mechanism of the SMG hydraulic units in their cars manufactured after 2007 and so on. Euro SMG software is a prime example people in U.S started to source and increase the reliability of SMG. Fortunately, it is after 8 or 9 years that this motor becomes rare at the same time some great solutions appear for us to drive without major worries of getting stranded in the highway. BE bearings is one and SMG refurbishment service is another (HALA! Jcolley from fastattackmotorsports). What is more important is what you already observe from people in this forum. I never experience any vehicle of any makers whose forum has people as active and helpful as those from others. Your first thread is the proof of what you had believed at the first place that people would give you the advice. and here they are, my 2 cents.

Final words? If you really love the past driving experiences with BMW, then yes, S85B50 is what exactly you are looking for, and it is something that you have and will never experience in the future. but If you don't have a gut to go through any nightmares when you have one, well fella, that is not how our lives work...
I didn't have any choice when I had crossed that river, but hey, you are still at the other side of the river;)
Do your own estimation. After all, it is another unique life from others because even if we all share a same badge M5 or M6, each has different context when these cars are brewed.

Good Luck with your journey, and I hope my reply has shed some light on.

P.S. one thing before you finish reading, try to listen up close to the pump priming noise from SMG hydraulics when the door is unlocked. It must be strong and concise. Otherwise, your nightmare will start off with complete malfunction christmas tree on the dash regarding transmission

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much Kei03174. Like you, I am debating where or not to buy an e90 m3 or an e63 m6. Now, I do currently own an LRP e92 DCT; with this in mind, I thought I would buy the e63 m6. I do understand the complications that may arise with this decision, but as you said... when this car came out it was iconic. I would like to own one and now is my chance. Like I said I am still considering the e90 as it is a practical car in comparison to the m6, but let's see what happens.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Vanos: https://youtu.be/xEb2AjdSUWs
Idle Qualities: https://youtu.be/RguAmKqZZrk
Exhaust Note: https://youtu.be/PLrYgQbAYO4
Idling Overall: https://youtu.be/iBXn6XTi_nM

I feel for you, and I know the dilemmas.
My car is 2007 e64 m6, and I had to go through vanos, rod bearings, Ignition coils, spark plugs, camshaft position sensor, DSC, Idle and throttle actuators with this insane engineering from BMW. Named a little less. I swore sometimes and regretted why I did not choose to buy e92 m3 when I had a chance to think both options. Things with this engine are love and hate situation all the time. If any one component of both mechanical and electrical get little bad, my butt now will immediately realize that she is not happy. How do I know? your shifting through gears become jerky, the response to the gas pedal changes every minute from the stop light.
But I learned a new territory of my interest during my journey that I like working on my car, and to be honest with you I spent immeasurable amount of money by now to fix the problem I faced and the performance modification I did. Technically, when you decide to buy a car that is aged already almost 10 years+, you must getting into electrical problem for 100% confidence. the mechanical problem is the next depending on the mileage the car has put on such as Clutches/flywheel, or infamous rod bearings.
Back at the time when the car was hailed in production, there was engineering faults BMW had never admitted, and it was on customers end to bear the toll of keeping the car. They either chose to sell their cars or to keep it at the hope in future some revision takes place to improve the inherent problems with the motor and SMG hydraulic units. BMW, in fact, took active measurements to improve the shifting mechanism of the SMG hydraulic units in their cars manufactured after 2007 and so on. Euro SMG software is a prime example people in U.S started to source and increase the reliability of SMG. Fortunately, it is after 8 or 9 years that this motor becomes rare at the same time some great solutions appear for us to drive without major worries of getting stranded in the highway. BE bearings is one and SMG refurbishment service is another (HALA! Jcolley from fastattackmotorsports). What is more important is what you already observe from people in this forum. I never experience any vehicle of any makers whose forum has people as active and helpful as those from others. Your first thread is the proof of what you had believed at the first place that people would give you the advice. and here they are, my 2 cents.

Final words? If you really love the past driving experiences with BMW, then yes, S85B50 is what exactly you are looking for, and it is something that you have and will never experience in the future. but If you don't have a gut to go through any nightmares when you have one, well fella, that is not how our lives work...
I didn't have any choice when I had crossed that river, but hey, you are still at the other side of the river;)
Do your own estimation. After all, it is another unique life from others because even if we all share a same badge M5 or M6, each has different context when these cars are brewed.

Good Luck with your journey, and I hope my reply has shed some light on.

P.S. one thing before you finish reading, try to listen up close to the pump priming noise from SMG hydraulics when the door is unlocked. It must be strong and concise. Otherwise, your nightmare will start off with complete malfunction christmas tree on the dash regarding transmission

Regarding smg pump if your battery is going bad it wont sound healthy either

My smg pump started sounding a bit slow and tone would change as it primes

Then few weeks later car clock would be reset

New battery and all is well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah man, Good luck.

I have been running an e£4 and now E39 M5's for 20 years now. If you can sense anything from a drive then great - pay attention to it. Keep a notebook with you to jot down anything you notice, but more often than not a car like this will have hundreds of ££'s or $$$ of work required, but will also probably not let you down, and will happily get you to your destination in quiet comfort (and speed). But he faults and problems will come and they will cost you money if you own it for too long.

Neither of my cars ever broke down and didn't get me home, both need £ thousands spending on them to get them 100 %.

I've driven M6's that look and sound superb - but the SMG is a weak point and you cant control the car like a manual one - but when I see you drive by in your shiny M6 I shall look and think - I realllllllllllly like that car I really should have bought one - maybe I should - but my V8 M5 has been so awesome - If I die tomorrow I'll still be dying happy.

Check the car carefully - spend hours not minutes - check the owner - check the service book and receipt for other work - ask why it is being sold - even after 10 years a well maintained car COULD still look and smell almost new if iit has been treated well and kept in a garage - find a Good car not an easy cheap close-by car - and Enjoy it every day. Good luck

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Just buy a manual and live happily ever after. And it will probably go up in value as well.

Once you have it, do the below.
Rod Bearings: BE bearings
VANOS: Should be rebuilt with the viton rings.
Actuators: Should be rebuilt with aluminium gears.
Change the transmission and differential oils every 30k miles, keep your oil change intervals short and change your battery on the first sign of weakness. Change your voltage regulator before you change your alternator. A battery tender is a very good investment if it is not going to be driven regularly.

Thank me later :cheers:

·
Registered
143 Posts
For all the reasons mentioned above, I would strongly recommend avoiding the '06-07 models unless the SMG, Vanos and actuators have been replaced or refurbished. Try to get a 09-10 model. By '09-10 many of the kinks were ironed out but as Hassan stated, preventive maintenance is highly advisable on any year model.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts